• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Caster

Did you make it out Sunday or Monday? Don't know what got into my wife but she gave me the guilt trip about fishing so much so I did not make it out. Sorry about that. I looked for you when we were over in the pool area and I couldn't remember what room you were in. I am guessing we weren't in the pool area around the time you were heading out. It was good meeting and talking to you Saturday night even though we couldn't coax anything up the holes. Do you think you will be at Breezy over President's weekend next year? If so, we will have to try and fish together again. Or we can try and hook up on some metro lakes. I have some good ones in the west metro for pannies.

I figured you had to pull the plug or at least limit your time on the lake.

I went out around noon on Sunday. I traveled most of the lake looking at different spots, but I didn't see anything better than the spot we were at on Saturday.

I figured if you were going out, you would be in that same spot, or close to it, so I went back for the evening bite. I did catch two very small walleyes, but that was it.

On Monday I went out around 9:00 till noon and headed to a spot I wish we could have tried at night. I found some weeds and a lot of small perch. I was seeing and catching a lot so I grabbed the UL with 2 lb. test to make it a little more fun. Just then a larger mark comes in and races after the lure. I set the hook and it starts to take some drag. I'm thinking I got lucky and found a walleye. I work it up slowly and see it is a northern. As soon as it passes by the hole it makes a run and leaves my lure stuck in the edge of the hole. I grab the heavier gear and end up catching another one (could be the same one). That was fun.

All in all, it was about what I expected for the time of year and especially with the cold weather.

I really enjoyed meeting you. I hope to go again next year, so we will have to make plans for more fishing.

Lets keep in touch and try to get out some time this spring. My brother and another friend were talking about a perch run to Mille Lacs. I will let you know when so you could make plans.

Way to go on finding those eyes even if they were small. I bet that spot where we met up Saturday is really good early ice in shallower. I bet that spot where you found those perch would have been a great spot to set up shop for an evening eye bite too. I love catching northern on ultra light stuff even if you do end up breaking them off. Kudos on getting the one up the hole. It can be a challenge to get their heads turned.

I hear you on not expecting much for the bite. I figured it wasn't a battle I wanted to fight with my wife since it was so cold and would have been hard to be mobile so I bit my tongue. I think we passed you, walking back to your room from where you had your sleds, when we were coming back from the Commander bar. Hopefully we can get better weather next year. It will hopefully be easier getting my wife to let me go when our daughter gets older but we'll see.

That would be awesome to head out this spring. I would be all about heading up to Mille Lacs for the perch bite. Another guy I met on here and I have become good friends and have done alot of hunting and fishing together. We have a perch run for Mille Lacs tentatively talked about too so I will give you the heads up to see if you can make it. So definitely let me know if you are going and I will try to make it and I will let you know if we are going. The sumo perch bite is just about the best thing going for ice fishing.

Feel free to email me. Jeff(dot)Onell(at)mts(dot)com