• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

On the Trail Part 3

shaky legs2

Kelly, I want to thank you for leaving the book for me at Hillmans. I am a history buff and I can honestly say that this book is one of the best about local Minnesota History that I have ever read. You remarked about how tough things were back then compared to now and I agree but you are a "throw-back" to those pioneer times and are on the trail yourself except now it is called the "Crappie Highway". Wresting with propane tanks in minus 30 degree temperature, dealing with disgruntled people, picking up other people's garbage, fixing broken transmissions and having to worry about taking a swim every time you crawl into the cab of your truck makes you a pioneer in my book. Heck, you should write one yourself about all the experiences you have had during the crappie bonanza. It might not make Oprah's best seller list but there would be thousands of Red Lake fishermen and many others who would buy it. I'll take a half dozen myself and give them for gifts. It reminds me of that Jimmy Buffett song when he sings, "Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late the cannons don't thunder there's nothing to plunder I'm an over 40 victim of fate, arriving too late".

On a more serious note, I would like your theory on fish movement. We experienced a more north to south movement over the weekend with the fish moving about 75-100 yards each day for 3 days. Some people to the North of us said they caught fish on Friday, then they moved right next to us on sunday and then there were others drilling holes outside to the south of us on Sunday. Is this typical? or is it usually a west to east movement? Do you think it was the same school or different ones?

Sorry about the "windy" post but you have a lot of things to think about when you are sitting in a fish house for 3 days, especially during slow times.