• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trailer Bunks

Rivernut

Question

This may sound like a dumb question, but when replacing the bunks, do you just use green treated 2x4's. They are 8 ft. long. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Believe it or not....yes, covered with carpet.

I've seen some expensive type made out of aluminum or metal tubing, but most common is wood.

You can use 2x4 or 2x6

I used green treated 2X4's and installed new no nap commercial grade carpet. The last thing I did was spray the carpet liberally with silicone spray. Now my boat launch's and retrieve's so easily that I hardly break a sweat! I just have to be sure to remember to have a launching line attached before I dare to unhook it from the winch. YAAAAY! 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

Quote:

new no nap commercial grade carpet

I need to redo my bunks this spring too. I was just thinking about that then I saw this thread. Nice timing! Where can this carpet be found? Home Depot?

Thanks for the info

I got tired of replacing bunks/carpet every couple years about 10 years ago. I picked up some roller bunks and forever took care of the problem. They carry them at cabelas and fleet farm.. and I'm sure a few other places. I think they cost around $60/pair. The ease of loading and unloading is worth it. I can not unhook my boat going down a ramp or the boat will be sitting on the concrete.