• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oxbow (it's spelled) dam

Anybody been down around there the last week or so??? Might give her a try in the next couple of days!!! The ice around 52nd ave here is around 15-20 inches in most spots.

Good luck to all!!!

I haven't been down there this year. If you're going to go anywhere remotely close to the dam I'd be really careful. In fact, I wouldn't go there. Regardless, be very careful, go with a friend, carry rope and spikes, and give us a report of great fishing when you get back!

I wont go right by the (it's spelled)dam. The first couple of bends are always the best. I havent been down there yet this year, thats why i was kind of wondering if it is safe or not. I might just do a couple of drive bys and see if I can catch someone(probably Ed) down there and talked to them about the ice. Ill let you know in a week or so!!!

I was down by the 52nd Ave. access - the ice was between 12"-18" depending on the current. I was only out for about two hours and didn't even get a bite. Wasn't expecting much as this was the first time I tried ice fishing on the Red. Where does everyone else go - north or south of Fargo?

Ive fished the access on 52nd about 25-30 times this year. There is actually some really good breaks and shelves around the bend to the west of the actual access. There is fish around there, but if you want walleyes you will have to stay after it gets dark. During the day its tough keeping the goldeneyes off. I fished right next to the shore in about 4-7 feet. I havent been down there since maybe the early part of January so i really dont know whats going on around there. I think on Friday i might give her a shot though!!! The river takes lots of time to figure out. But once you do you will do very well. Ive had better luck on the river then any lake ive ever fished. You just gotta keep going at it.

Good luck

I plan on getting out there in my boat quite a few times this summer and try to learn more of the river - thanks for the info Brian. Let me know if you go out on Friday - I work in town then and might see you down there. I am going to try it again tomorrow night.

im going to try it saturday afternoon and into the night to see if i can pull a couple eyes out of there. i have never fished the river but i am excited to try. would you recomend a small portable house? im kinda scared of any snowmobiles that might be out. and when you say west of the access how far do you mean? any help would be great.

Last night I was out again - did see some fish on the flasher, but no biters. I was only a few hundred feet to the west of the access - I plan on going further next time. You really have to watch the ice though - in one spot I had 18" then moved 40' or 50' and only had about 10".

You are right about the ice!!!! I never went out towards the middle of the river too. You never know what the ice is gonna do out there. I was basically a couple hundred feet west of the acces right around the little bend. If I can remember right there was a little tree down off the bank and I fished right behind it. The fish you saw might have been small catfish or goldeneye cuz they normally just come up to the bait and check it out then move on. Walleyes or northerns will take it right away. The key is to be out of the current. Even if you are in 3 feet of water. The action is nothing worth bragging about down there but once in a great while you can catch something worth talking about!!!

I think ill go down down there on Sat. or Sunday afternoon. I started reloading shot gun shells so I can of got side tracked.

Good luck!! Hope ya catch something!!!

Yeah I went out!!! Not by the access but a little farther North of there. Some Goldeneyes and about a 20 inch eye!! Nothing great but after dark I was marking a lot of fish. Going out tomarrow most likly.

How bout you guys????

What type of structure, depth, lure, etc were you using? Not looking to steal your spot, just want an idea of where to find the walleyes in the Red this time of year.

I fish shallow(4-8 feet.) Inside bends and behind falling trees are good. Also its nice to be next to a deep hole if you can find one. As far as lures, anything will do the trick if you ask me. No one lure will catch more fish, but I have had better luck with just a yellow glow jig and a minnow.

Good luck!!! Post if ya guys are catching anything!!!

Brian

I was going to go out but then ended up helping a buddy work on his fince's car. I am planning on getting out this week if I can get off of work early enough.

Thanks for the info. I am going to try some spots in North Fargo soon, hopefully so I will post how I did.

I tried the river again tonight, down by the access on 52nd. Missed 2 fish after dark, and marked about 6-8 more. Nothing really going on down there. I see someone has been fishing there though!!! Was that one of you guys??? If so it looks like you were fishing in kind of the middle of the river. Must have been a lot of current out there huh???? It might be better for you if you fish next to the shore in about 5-8 feet of water. I fished a little farther to the west to where those holes were drilled.

I think I might be done with that spot. I think you just gotta be close to a dam during the winter months. I talked to a guy today and he told me where the "hot spot" is so ill give that a try and let you guys know if it hot!!!

Good luck!!

that was me - I didn't know where to start, so I just punched holes and checked the depths. I tried to stay close to the access as this is the first year I have fished the river and didn't know what the ice was like.

Brian, you going out to the river in the next day or two, i would like to try it again but have no idea where to go. i was out the other day, at the begining of the inside bend to the west of the 52nd ave. access. but, i had so many troubles getting started i just packed her in and went home. so i would like to get out with someone that knows whats going on out there. thanks

I dont think I will be going down by the access again. I live right by there so i might though. I think its kind of a waste of time(still better then working.) I have a couple spots close by that i know hold fish so im gonna try them in the next couple days.

I would like to meet some of you guys down there but its another thing catching some fish though. Ill try these other spots and let you know, then maybe ill put you guys on some action!!!!

Things should be picking up faster very soon here on the river. March has been my best time the last few years.

I could have caught a STD last night with a couple of teenagers having a little fun in the parking lot. They were having a little fun and didnt know I was there and I stood up with my head lamp on and they looked up and almost died. I waved and they took off. It was priceless!!!! LOL