• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report of my first trip to URL 17-19 feb.

fishingguy

My bro and I made my first trip memorable. He had contacted Pete Olson and told him we'd do some scouting for him if he plowed us a path. We did bring our own house, but figured it be easier to get around on a plowed path vs fighting the snow. So he put us out about .5 miles northeast of the main body of houses out from Hillmanns. 6.5 miles out then .5 miles NE. We fought the cold to get set up but got fishing by 4pm friday. My bro had 2 in a matter of 15 mins. and I missed 3 or 4 in that same time frame. I missed atleast 3 or 4 more in the next 2 hours Until my bro suggested I go bigger. I am use to fishing in southern MN so I was using #8 and #10 lures. So I switched to #4 and #6 plus used several angel eye jr. Well that made the difference, but by then the big rush had slowed. We still had 6 in the bucket by 7 and I was pleased with that for my first time. Nothing would take anything on a dead stick. Everything landed was on a bobber. And believe me it was sure tough to find a bobber big enough in my tackle box to hold up and angel eye. Red blue and orange were the colors that worked for us.

All said and done, by 9 am sunday, with out moving around we ended our trip with 14. Largest being 15.5". Plus we had 12 to 15 walleyes to keep us entertained as well over that same time frame. If I'd have had my, you know what together earlier, we probably would have had our linit of 20. Will make the trip again for sure. The 14, 13 3/4" to 15 1/5" crappies we caught sure made the almost 7 hour drive worth it.

Great to see you had good luck. Two of us fished Red on Friday out of Westwind. We were all alone and had a nice day. We iced 10 keepers and tons of eyes. Pink seemed to work the best for us. We managed a to have a great day and also enjoyed a few of August Schell's finest!

I'll bet you a paycheck that by next weekend the spot you just pointed out will rival the population of Waskish, Kelliher, and Blackduck combined. shocked.gif Good job on finding the fish.

Ya, Olson moved 2 of his in sat. afternoon and one in on sunday morning. A couple others moved in as well on sunday. All were more than 100 yds away yet when we left, but I'd bet the same money as you that by sunday afternoon one got moved right on where we were.