• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Little Long Lake Report

Got out to my favorite lake yesterday. I heard the pike were hot on Little Long. Could not start the auger.

Gave up. Drank wine.

Good thing the wine started! I heard the same thing RE: Little Long. I've never done too good there exept for pannies. Hope you get the auger running. Next time pour a little vino in the auger tank grin.gif

Chunky,

I live on little long, but have never really fished it. Went spearing out there once, but that's it. I heard there was crappies in there, and I like to crappie fish. I'd appreciate any hints that could help me catch a few, mainly the time of day to try. Thanks. By the way, any trout this wknd? Got some nice walleyes on rainy but i'm itchin to get back to burntside.

'bout 6 miles from downtown, up the Echo. East out of town to 88, to the Echo, 'nother two miles. Public ramp is across from the Bass Lake Trail.

Finns.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

i heard there are huge Tulipees in there is that true?

Stiff Wire Leader~Sorry to hear your auger didn't start. Hope the wine tasted good!

Monstermoose~I have heard that as well. I checked out the DNR site on little long and found the ave from gill net surveying is 2.27 lbs. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=69006600

If you scroll down more it shows there was only one caught, but it was 15"-19" Hhmmm...it also looks like I may have to go walleye fishing. ooo.gif

F&F, it's been a while but about midway down the lake is a hump I used to fish quite a bit when I first moved here. About 15 FOW.

Ton of panfish, pike, and small bass in Little Long Lake. TO this day my biggest pike in the States came from this lake when I was a kid walleye fishing with a jig and minnow.

F&F, I have the gps #s for the hump Chunky was talking about. If you email me I can send them to you. Use Little Long Lake in the subject line.

finns3 at stjoelive dot c0m

Finns.

Chunky,

Thanks for the info on the crappie hole. If I got time this week i'm gonna try to get out there and give it a shot. I didn't realize little long had so much to offer. Let me know if you're gonna out for trout this weekend, I'm planning on fishing Burntside all wknd. It would be nice to put a face to the name, especially one who has been giving me info and advice without even knowing who I am. Thanks again for the info, greatly appreciated.

I am pretty sure it was 39", this was some time ago when I was a little youngin' but I remember the fight so well because it was my first big fish, Jig buried in its mouth with 6 lb test.What's funny is the spot where it was caught never produced another fish ever again.

There's some big smallies in there too, I have caught some in the 18-19" range but one night we went out with one of those Gander Mountain spotlights and we found a MONSTER BASS just sitting in the cabbage weedbed in front of the resort..I can't give an exact size but it was easily the biggest smallie I have ever seen. The problem with the lake is the walleyes...I have yet to even see one, yet alone catch any, im thinking thats why this lake doesnt get discussed all that much

F&F try a lake Bass Lake for crappies it kept me well fed when i went to college. My email is [email protected] if ya want details on where and what i would use to catch em.

is that the lake near Little Long in the Brush? If so, I fished that as well. LOADED with largemouth bass

Well lets just say ya might want to chase them pees in the there i have caught my share of well monsters. The state record is from there and i know there are bigger ones.

no it down the bass lake hiking trail it is a hike but if i could do it you should be able too. It is my sure bet for fish to eat when i get up to ely. I group of us usally head up aleast once a year for ice fishing and have some fish fries and if nothing else is going we head there for a meal.

Yeah I've heard some good reports from Bass Lake for crappies, but from what everyone's told me they sound pretty small. I'm gonna try to get there at least once this winter to see for myself, got some buddies that have had good luck there that wanna go out again.

yep they dont run large like in some of the other lakes up the numbers make it a blast. a big one out there is around 11-12 inches i dont think i have ever got one over 12 inches but be ready for some big bull bluegills if they show up where they are catching crappies they can be over a pound.

I think that Little long is also one of my favorite lakes. I always have a blast fishing there. Too bad about the auger.

Hey I was just looking at some pictures i have and thought i of a lake that used to be a college kid spot but i know know if they still fish it for crappies and pike it is Stub Lake it is kind of tuff to drive into if ya got some snow but boy it seems to freeze up first and i have done well on crappies and pike near the rock face.

I spotted one of my pictures with 2 pees i caught out there and they are both over 21 inches long they fight really good and they smoke up so good. Man that sounds good smoked fish and beer.