• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Greenies

caseymcq

I have been giving my dogs Greenies, the breath freshening treats, for a while now. I was in Target today buying more and the gal at the check out said she saw something on the news about Greenies being bad for dogs. Something about not digesting totally and damaging the dogs intestines.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I found a story on CNN.com about this.

CNN - Greenie Story

We give them to our dogs occasionally and usually give them the size recomended for slightly smaller dogs than them so hopefully the treats haven't caused any damage.

I saw the Greenies deal on CNN also. They have had a number of deaths and problems with them because Greenies will not breakdown when swallowed. After watching that, although the chances may be small, I would never give them to my dog for fear of choking or becoming lodged in their intestines.

Their creator really seemed like a very unitelligent person. I was not impressed with the way he fielded questions.

about 3 weeks or so ago, a Twin Cities TV News station ran a story about them, and they went so far as to interview different vets. Some of the vets said that they actually had to do surgery on several different dogs because of them getting caught in the stomach/intestines. I refuse to feed them to my animal because of it. They did lead to deaths of many dogs nationwide. I wish I could remember the station, but it has been a while since I saw it. Seems to me it was either WCCO, KSTP, or channel 9. Check their websites, they may have more information.

• 1 month later...

Tried them on my GSP when they first came out.

They worked but after a couple of days she started vomiting them up.

We stopped giving them to her and alls well.

Better a bit of bad breath than a dead dog!