• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up friday- sunday, just wondering if 4x4 pickup is enough for getting around or should we be bringing the sleds? Thanks in advance

I am thinking of going to winni this friday and was wondering were i could get on the southend of the lake.

I used to go out of Judds, but i think they are closed now.

The only time i have been on the ice with this lake has been the south end. It dont need to be public access. Just some were close to the Fedral flats area.

Thanks

CC HURL

We went out of Nodak's on the very south end last weekend (Hwy 2 & Cty Rd 84), I think they charge $8 per vehicle.

That is were I will go then when we get there. I am going to bring my 8 year old son with so i hope we catch something.

How did it go for you last weekend? It has been two years since I have been up on Winni. I fished around Fedral flats, at least I think that is what it is called. I also tried around Moses and Sugar bar. Did ok in those areas.

I would like to get onto some of those jumbos.

Were you able to drive anywere you wanted?

Thanks for the response and good luck to ya !!

CC HURL

We fished Saturday between 27' - 35' just off the big reef east of Raven's Point. The best perch bit was between 12-2 in 34'-35' using small fatheads. We managed about 40 keepers between 8-11" - the cold weather kept us from moving around too much.

As far as driving, there seemed to be a good two feet of ice everywhere and the roads were decent. Good Luck chasing those jumbos!

CC, there is a public access to the west of stoney point called richards access it is just east of judds. It is easy to get out of there. It is real close to the Big Fish Resort. I fished there this weekend and had pretty good luck. It was slow at times, but all you had to do was move a little. My buddy even managed to catch a poor mans lobster. good luck

Thanks Jiggin, Can I get to the public access by going down Hwy # 2 or would I want to turn like I was going to Judd's then go east on whatever road that is. I will get up there about 5:00 am and I don't know if the resorts will be open that early.

I have to ask. What were you using for bait. I was going to set up with sweetish pimples with a fathead and maybe use bugs if that does not work.

Were you able to get a wally or two?

Thanks again for the info on the public access.

CC HURL

sorry for the delay, work has been just a little busy. if your coming from the east it will be the first right turn after the big fish resort/bar. You won't miss the big fish that is next to the bar. once you make that right you will see another right turn less then a quarter mile down marked richards landing and that will be your turn to get on the lake. it should be before judds coming from the east and after judds coming from the west. Once you get out on the lake you can follow the road out to the group of shacks or you should be able to drive anywhere you want. There wan't to much snow on the lake, we had no problems driving around. The first group of shacks you will see off to the left are just a little bit off a break. hope this helps

Just wanted to ask about the pressure ridge? I here that there's one out off of Moses. Does that hamper you at all coming off richards landing? Is there clear sailing to ravens,center, perch bar? Do you have any info on how the perch bite has been this week? I really haven't seen any updated info for the the week. Coming up tomorrow evening for sat and sun.

As far as i know if you enter off of richards you can drive up the west side of the lake and head up to ravens or anywhere on the northwest side. IF you need to get to the north/east side you will have to drive up the west side and around the north to avoid the ridge. the pressure ridge will block the center portion of the lake from richards, but like i said you can go around it on the north side. Or you can access it from denny's and go right out to center bar. I strictly stayed to the south west corner, we had good success. lots of little ones to pick through, but i kept what i would eat. I normally don't take home my possession limit due to the fact that is alot of fish for me to eat. I normally bring home a little over twenty fish. that is just me though. I had a lot of luck with a gold 3 bead jig, similar to the genz 3 bead. at dusk make sure you have something on that glows and keep glowing, it is the key. I was using an entire fathead minnow from med. to large. size.

Well to make a long story short it was a terrible weekend for perch. We only ended up taking a few home. The bite was off this weekend with the weather I think. We went out of Nodaks and fished several places. Alot of fish on the Vex but they just wouldn't bite. How did you do this weekend?

I have one more question for you.... Have you fished Bass lake outside of Grand Rapids. The people at the Motel where we stayed suggested fishing that for Sunnie's. I guess they have been doing really good. Is there a certain part of the lake to fish? Is there a resort with paid access? Any info would be appreciated.