• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a sure thing near Duluth

My son has had his kids out on three skunks in a row. two on the river and one on a little lake by floodwood named headquarters(thats where I suggested) that lake used to be a "sure thing" for little crappies. These kids are boys ages 6, 7 and eight. My grandchildren are actually starting to say things like "fishing stinks" etc.. Your help is appreciated. These dont have to be keepable fish, just something to reel in.

Pike lake would probably be your best bet at a sure thing. All the little perch you could ever want in there. Head pretty much anywhere into 15-20 feet of water, get your lines down and you will get bit. Really not a whole lot for size but action to their little hearts content. Hope this helps and good luck on getting them to like fishing again. Hopefully they can see the light wink.gif

I appreciate your ideas on a good spot for kids, I have not fished on Pike or Chub since I was a kid! Sometimes you tend to over look those lakes right in your own back yard. My fishing is somewhat limited on local lakes as I only fish smaller lakes in the winter, with spring, summer and fall being devoted to the Big Lake.

Adam,

I will second Chub. I havn't had my 3 year old out there for a couple weeks, but it is as close to a sure bet as possible. Gills and perch as well as hammer handle pike can be had, and you can drive out to wherever you want to. I like either an ant/waxie or plain hook/waxie for gills and perch, and usually set a gem-n-eye on either a tipup or a deadstick with a chub/shiner on it for pike. The other good thing is the water is pretty clear so when you are in a tent you can actully see the gills come in. My son gets a real kick out of looking down the hole and seeing a gill eyeing the ant and then seeing the bobber go down cool.gif

Its also a great lake for kids in summer, i think that my little guy caught over 300 gills/perch/pumpkinseeds there this summer just off the dock (never even put the boat in due to low water levels).