• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Sarah

Ya Moby, a ice report would be cool. I haven't been out to Sarah in a couple of weeks so I'm wondering if its still worth the drive. I was out on a local lake on Wednesday and even though their was about 15-16in. of ice, it was in sad shape. My dull-a$$ auger was blasting right thru it. There was a solid middle layer, but the top and bottom were like mush. It was a little scary!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• markkstanley

• GreyGoose

• iFishMN.YT

Matt I was surprised how well the ice is holding up on Sarah only had a couple hours to fish yet me and Moby took home are limits of crappies nice eaters 9-10" fish so your trip won't be for nothing.

Thanks Tim, hopefully I will get out there. Was probibaly gonna go sleddin today,but that sounds a little iffy too. Either way we gotta do some open water fishing this summer. I've never fished Sarah other than on the ice, so you'll have to show me whats up.

Me and Cyberfish, we found quite a few gills shallow, in the weeds in 5-7 FOW. Then we moved to about 13-15 FOW, caught more gills, and then the crappies moved in about 5pm. Overall, The fish were quite agressive, and it wasn't hard to detect bites at all. Ice was a probably good 15-16" thick in all the places we fished, although that won't last long.

Cal, what day where you refering too? I hope it wasn't Sun. I was out there on Sun. and the bite was S L o W!!!! We moved up and down the lake and in various depths, but never as shallow as you were talkin. It was too much like work to get a solid bite. Most of the fish were on the smaller side, and would barely peck your offering. We blamed it on the 30.55 on the barometer, but I hope we didn't over look the shallow spots!

Graygoose,

It was saturday. I think at this time of year, going shallow(er) is key to finding active fish. If you want to mail me [email protected] or call 763-404-0891 (Casey) I'll tell you where I was fishing. Me, Mark, and TimL are going out tomorrow after work, if you mwant to join us.

tim, moby, where the heck were you 2 on sunday? i actually got out fishing and you 2 were no where to be found. oh well, was a beautiful day and fish were caught. nothing to mention, just some fish. at least i got out fishing once this season. oh yeah, i got a new fish house too. a 2 man finally. woo hoo..............loc9

Kris Sunday Brent was in LA and it was my Mom's Birthday so you know where I was. Although we should be out Saturday so why don't come on out and then you can bring the mimmows lol

was out yesterday 3rd hole and my pull rope broke so didn't get a chance to fish.

Mark,

Are you still planning a trip to Sarah on Sat, or did you work things out with Buzzsaw for p4?

Doing some stuff in the morning so I'll hit Sarah in the afternoon. Chase gills for a bit and then do some crappie searching. THinking of getting out around 2 or 3pm. Sound good?? Who else is planning to be there??

I plan to get out there around 3 or 4. There's a good chance that Carp-Fisher and Cyberfish will be out there too...

Ice9,

If not busy, why don't you join us?

I'll be out there probably at or before 1:00. Looking at the forecast for next week, I'm thinking that tommorrow may be my last time on the ice for the season...

I plan on leaving the house at about 4 or 4:30...oh, a.m. that is so i'll probably be long gone by the time you fellas get there

hey everyone, i have never fished sarah before but was thinking about heading tomorow morning. i have no clue how to even get there and was just wondering if somebody could give me some direction to the access, i would be coming from champlin, so i would probably be heading south on 169 or 494. also i was just curious are most people walking out? and how far from the access are people fishing, thanks in advance.

I fished Sarah yesterday, and people are still driving out!!! Myself included!!! I know many of yas think I'm nutz, but I know the areas I was on , drive very slowly, and have a car that don't weigh much more than a couple of wheelers. The ice has taken a bigg hit since last weekend, when it was still 16in. and solid. Now it's still 14in but weakend and starting to honeycomb. I wouldn't recommend driving after todays sun and temps. The fishing wasn't spectacular, but a steady bite was found on several different spots. I ended up catching numerous fish of numerous species. Bass, crappie, gills, and perch. I got atleast 1 decent sized fish from each group too. Those bass were a suprise too, at first they felt like nice crappies but would make a few runs that would double my little crappie whip over. I wish I would catch a crappie that felt like that!

thanks for the invite Cal--I actually hit Sarah this morning, found some bluegills against weeds in 8-9 ft. but they shut off. No craps. First time on the lake for me. I worked around from shallow to deep, found few marks and fewer biters. I guess from the chatter that it's more of an evening bite. I guess they've moved from the deep basins into the shallows by now. Might try Tonka again next time.

ice

My boss John and I caught a limit of Sunnies Sat.. We drove out but the ice is really not very good. I don't think we'll drive out anymore this season. Bring on the Muskies!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great day to end my ice fishing season. Went out of the access and drilled holes in 13, 15, and 19'. One quick bite in 13', then nothing so I moved out to 19'.

Picked up a bluegill here and there and then once it hit about 5:30 the bluegills were very aggressive. People seemed to be packing it in and I couldn't even fish two holes, the action was too fast.

At first I built up some confidence w/ a spring bobber (never really used before), but then that wasn't needed. Wax worms and pink crappie nibbles were the ticket.

Caught two perch in addition to all of the blugills. One perch was close to jumbo. Caught three decent crappies. The bluegills were at times just stacked in 16-19' however the crappies would come in one at a time suspended at about 10-12'.

I only got a couple of them. They would stay on the bait, but wouldn't hit it and I didn't have minnows. I was hoping one of those highflyers would be a nice white crop, but never found out.

Fun lake to end the year. I picked a spot away from the crowds and it was nice to have a plan come together even though there weren't any lunkers.

Ice was 14" and most of it was pretty solid. I was surprised. A few trucks out. Mine stayed on shore.

I appreciate all the advice given on this lake. It was worth the drive today and a great way to end my ice season.

DB

Tim and myself were out there sat and sunday in the trucks. Fishing was a little slower than it has been, with nothing over 11". Lots of lookers that would sniff the bait and chase it up and down a few times b4 they would ignore it. After 7am or so we didnt have to move much to stay on the fish but they were finickey

Jloomis

I think Sara is calling us for one last time, just to close out the season, I'm itchn for one last time how bout you? cool.gif

We targeted gills on Sat and did preety well in the 8ft depths. Had to do a little hole hopping as fish were moving. Caught one 12" white crappie in the process. Crappie bite never got going for us. I'm going to finish up the ice season on Tonka chasing crappies there.

Who would think with the beautiful weather saturday the fishing would be slow like it was, at least for me. Mark, we did catch a few crappies, a couple going 10. I'll probably head out there next saturday again, so if anyone wants to join me...

Quote:

Who would think with the beautiful weather saturday the fishing would be slow like it was, at least for me. Mark, we did catch a few crappies, a couple going 10. I'll probably head out there next saturday again, so if anyone wants to join me...

If the current forecast holds true, I may be float-tubing on Sarah by next Saturday cool.gif

Carp,

You're always welcome in my boat. In fact, you'll be in my boat for the Minnetonka heaviest crappie contest, right?

Quote:

Carp,

You're always welcome in my boat. In fact, you'll be in my boat for the Minnetonka heaviest crappie contest, right?

Yeah as long as its ok with Cyberfish; I'd love to catch some bigguns...

He has a GEM outing on Rush that saturday, so I don't think he can make it. I'm sure Tonka will be thick with boats for the contest, but I never fished it before, so I might as well give it a go. If I won first (a snowball's chance in Hell) I don't know where I would ever store a fishing kayak!

now you guys quit talkin boats! there is tons of ice and it will take more than a week to melt it away!! I am intrested in trying "slab" lake saturday, I hope you guys check it out this week and git me the report!! grin.gif

Hearing that most everyone had a slower day on Sat. makes me feel alittle better, but Sarah has cooled off lately, IMO. I wonder if it's got something to do with the fishin pressure it recieves....? Anyways I just won a new troller on ebay, so liquid or solid,I ready/excited for the spring bite.

One day the local Arminian Methodist minister was walking through the small town he pastored in. as he walked by one house he looked over the picket fence and saw a little boy with a dog that was nursing some newborn pups.

The Methodist minister asked “What kind of pups are they son?” The little boy replied “These pups here are Arminian pups.” The Methodist minister chuckled and went back to his office at the church.

A week later the Methodist minister saw the local Presbyterian minister in the local deli. Remembering the little boy’s comments about the pups, he thought he would have a little fun. He told the Presbyterian minister that he had something he wanted him to see and led him down the street to the little boys home.

The ministers came to the house and there was the little boy in the yard with his pups. The Methodist minister with a big grin told the Presbyterian minister to ask the boy what kind of pups they were.

The Presbyterian mininster asked “Young man what kind of pups do you have there?”

The little boy answered, “Why these here are Calvinist pups.”

The Methodist minister quickly jumped in “But son you told me last week they were Arminian pups.”

The boy replied “Well yes sir, they were, but that was before their eyes were open.”