• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Sarah

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CALVINIST

• markkstanley

• GreyGoose

• iFishMN.YT

Was out last week, a buddy and i limit. We got there kinda late, but did well. The fish were there at about 20-30ft and all over the low and vex, couldn't tell where your bait/jig was. But the crappies are decent in size. Good luck....! cool.gif

Getting limits of nice ones 9 to 11" NW of the access on the N side of the 40ft hole, Bluegills are just North of there here is a GPS No. N45 04 06.5 W93 41 37.8

Early morning or evenings glow moonglows and euro larve 27-32 down below the smaller fish that are at 20-24 down

GLuck

Was out last sunday and after moving a couple times found decent bluegills as fast as I could get my line down in 15-16 feet of water. Using small jigs with eurolarvae (red and white seemed to work best).

UNIT

yesterday was fair. today was pretty good including some nice thick 10's a few 12's and 3 13.5's. Best outing for size so far this year and have been there every saturday and sunday morning since fishable ice except for one or two. Have had no problems finding fish all winter but it's taken a lot of gas through the auger. I wont post the gps coordinates though. I got to leave ya something todo. cool.gif

Moby1 can't post GPS coordinates cuz he drills about a square mile of holes and fishes them all grin.gif I'm still on my original tankful of gas and Moby1 could have filled a Suburban by now. But it works. He outfishes me. The crappies on Sarah do move quite a bit. You need to have a few holes and various depths to chase them down.

Anybody gonna be out there on Sarah on Friday? I have the day off and would like to give her a try. I just need to figure out the best route to get there from the east side of the cities.

Was out last night in about 38fow, tons of fish under the ice the whole time but only managed to entice about 10 to bite. Very tight lipped when it came to my crappie minnow. Im going to try some euros with glow jig tonight and see what happens. There were thick schools from 20 down to the bottom most the time and a few high flyers at 12-15. Didnt get anything of much size, anyone have any knowledge of what depth the bigger crappies will be cruising at? I tried all the depths but again couldnt get many biters. I read one post says bigger ones in the 27-32 ft range so unless I hear otherwise I will stick around that depth. Im just east of the main group of houses out from the launch. Good luck and thanks for any replies.

I have no experience on that lake, but it is my opinion that those high flying fish are often times the biggest. If a mark shows up on the flasher at 12-15, I would definitely reel up and try to get it to bite. Any thoughts from those with experience on the lake?

Thanks for the reply, I have heard that too so I did focus on those fish for a while and got a few of them, 1 was decent size but the rest were same as the lower crappies. Any other opinions on that would be great.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

When i get a large school of crappies that come in and alot of them are small but i know there are some bigger ones in there i switch to a large bait like jigging raps or perch and walleye jigs with a minnow head or waxxies on them.

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is plenty of ice in my opinion out there to drive on. Trucks all over the place. Good Luck.

Last night was just a tough bite so keep at it. I only got about dozen myself. All my bigger fish have come from 15 to 20ft. You will get some smaller fish at those depths but I haven't got any big ones in 25ft or so. I tried downsizing last night and it didn't do any better. My best presentation was jigging a glow demon very slowly about 2 to 3" to bring the fish in and then slowly moving it up. Once I got to 15 to 17ft they would suck the minnow in. Had to have a spring bobber to see the bite.

My suggestion to find bigger fish is get away from the group out from the launch. There are lots of crappies in that deep hole but on average they are the smaller ones. I am with Mark Stanley in that I fish 10-20' to find the bigger ones on Sarah. They almost always come in suspended too. I have only been out there once this year and every fish bigger than 10" I got came in well above the large schools of fish I was graphing.

Also don't be afraid to upsize your presentation. I caught a bunch of my bigger crappies on an 1/8 oz jigging spoon.

Thanks for the advise, last night after tryin the deep spot again and getting mad at the fish running away from my jig I moved shallow, then moved again and settled on some fish in about 12fow. Caught a few nice crappies there and will return tonight, didnt have much time last night after moving twice. Good Luck.

Hey Chad were you fishing in 12 foot deep of water or were you over the deep hole fishing down 12ft i am heading out tomorrow and looking for advise

thanks

FishinChad they been a little harder to chase down latley it was you'd mark fish pull your house over and bam they'd be gone I only had to move 4 times yesterday in the same general area got on a ptetty good school kept a limit of 10" fish usually catch a few bigger fish not last nite but i'm not complaning, me I fish with the smallest minnows I can get seems like I get the bigger fish on em once they seem to start getting pretty active then I switch over to a jiggin spoon tipped w/minnow head I've only been fishing one line seems like I catch twice as many fish.

Couple days ago I was fishing the deep area and catching some at 12 ft down that were way above the main school(High Flyers) but the fish at this depth really got on my nerves so last night I moved and moved again and ended up in about 12 fow and got a few nice craps and a couple sunnies before it got completely dark. Tim-were you fishing out from the access outside next to your van last night?? just wondering it that was you. Good Luck.

Tim/Moby

Are you boys heading out there next wednesday evening again? If so, I might join you, and maybe bring Carp-fisher and whoever else wants to come.

I haven't been out since the cold snap, just wondering, I see vehicles out on the lake. Could anyone tellme ice thickness, roughly so I feelcomfy driving out. Thanks

Calvinist, I'm all for it. Let's go

Ice was 12" to 14" for me. Safe to drive out on Sarah. Unless Moby1 gets to drilling again. grin.gif

ok Mark. You want to just head out there and I'll meet up with you on the ice? That would probably work best, since I wont get out there till about 6pm. Just give me a general location I can find you...

just PLEASE don't give the location here smile.gif. We are heading up to red in a couple of hours!!!! Mark, Picked up a monster bag of monster smelt for the monster norts up there for $4.99. There must be at least 30 in the bag. Cant beat that with a stick!

Quote:

Calvinist, I'm all for it. Let's go

Ice was 12" to 14" for me. Safe to drive out on Sarah. Unless Moby1 gets to drilling again.
grin.gif

Missed a good night out at the weed bowl with Casey and I. Casey hooked into a few big hybrid 'gills and the crappies were everywhere. Look forward to seeing you guys this week.

"Safe" enough to drive to the East basin through the narrows? It's the "home lake" for me and I still have yet to be out there... Hopefully after the last weekend of walleye I will go searching.

If you leave that bag in the truck again you will be beating them with a stick!! Got to find some by me for Sat.

Casey I'll email the location to you.

FYI I have been measuring 15-16 inches of ice in a couple of spots. 12-14 is good clear ice. I think its pretty much as safe as any other year out there now, cars and trucks everywhere even east basin. No ice is safe ice but if youve driven on lakes other years I think its pretty much the same right now. Warm weather of course will weaken it quick this time of year so get out while you can!

I fished Sarah all day yesterday and survived all the wind direction changes. I found fish in several areas of the west side of the lake. In the morning I found fish that were pretty finicky in shallow and deeper. I moved around to some other deeper areas and found crappies suspended, both black and white towards the afternoon. Toward evening I moved back shallow and found some decent sunfish. Around dark i tried the 15 foot depth mark and found some active crappies. I did not get a crappie over 10", but I only stayed till 6:30. I was kind of suprised that a few of the shallow crappies I marked after dark did not bite, but thats fishing. I caught most of the crappies/sunfish on waxies, but I did get a few on minnows too. I also caught a couple bass and had two other fish break/cut my line. I was also suprised by the water clarity. It is still pretty green.

I was out on Sahar yesterday and caught a limit of Sunnies across from the boat landing in about 11 feet. The fish were really spooky. I was catching fish and then a guy moved up about 25 feet away and started drilling holes, shoveling and so on. Took over an hour for the fish to come back. It was still fun tho.