• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mr Heater and 5lb propane tank

IronFist5970

Question

Folks, looking for a little assistance. I have a Mr. Heater (the one that you can cook on) and a 5 lb tank that I bought for ice fishing. I went a purchased what I thought was the right hose setup. However, it is not and I need either an adapter (unable to find the right size at Fleet Farm) or another hose set up.

Two questions: Is is necessary to have a regulator on the hose? Any recommendations on where else to look for the attachment? Thanks much.

18 answers to this question

If you have the MR Heater Cooker (the sunflower style) it does not require a regulator... the sunflower heaters operate on a high pressure system and are regulated at the valve on the unit. The Buddy and Big Buddy Heaters also do not require a regulator unless you are using the RV Quick connect fitting on the Big Buddy.

As far as a hose goes, you need to purchase a hose that connects to your propane tank, and one that connects to the cooker, which uses a "throw away" tank fitting... something like this:

F273702.jpg

I don't recall ever seing one that you could add to the end of an existing hose.. I've always bought the hose with it.

marine_man

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

You should be able to find the throw away fitting for your hose.

Look in the MR Heater display section, you'll see other parts like the hose, thermocouples, valves and so on.

Marine man,

The buddy heaters do not require a regulator if used with the same hose as the mr heater/cooker models (connected to the same connection you use for the 1lb tanks). If you use the quick disconnect fitting which is only available on the Big Buddy and is only on one side of the tank you need a regulator.

I do have the sunflower cooker type, so it looks like I don't need the regulator. Thanks for the help guys.

Don't most or all of the five pound tanks have the quick connect fitting? do they make a hose with the one pound fitting on one end and the quick connect male end on the other?

IronFist5970, I JUST bought the SAME hose you need @ Menards! I have a Paulin Heater/cooker that runs on 1# tanks and I want the ability to run it off of a 5#or>. I can tell you the Mr Heater # is an F273701. That's a 5' hose with the fittings you need. Personally, I'd suggest you invest in the 12',the 5' is too stiff, you won't regret it! Phred52

Airjer, If I remember correctly Mr. Heater does make the hose you are talking about but I have never seen it in a store. I had my local propane dealer make one for me. (we talking about the tank end now, not the heater end right?)

Thanks for the correction Gus.. I've edited my post above to reflect your information...

I did find a fiting that may work with your hose... depending on what diamter hose you have... Mr Heater offers P/N F273755 that goes from a 1/4" male fitting to a male throwaway fitting... which should work on your hose, again, depending on the size of your hose. Here's a picture:

F273755.jpg

I didn't see a picture of a throwaway connection to a ACME thread, which is what you're asking for I think airjer... I know I've seen an adapter at fleet that you connect your current hose to that has ACME threads on it... it's also got a fuel gauge built into it...

marine_man

I got your back marine_man! grin.gif

Yes I'm talking about the tank side quick connect that Weber uses. Not the acme (external thread). Now that I've thought about it I have seen them with the normal valve head (i think grin.gif ) Most of the time I see them they do have the quick connect for the weber grills. I think they use them to get the coals started.

Thanks for the fix airjer...

Any pictures of this quick connect you speak of? I'm not familiar with it, but I am interested in any sort of quick connect setup... I did see that Mr Heater has a quick connect / disconnect set up too...

marine_man

It looks like an air chuck quick connect just slightly larger. Its exclusive to Weber grills. We see alot of 5lb. and 20lb. tanks with these. I'v never seen a hose with this end on it so the tank is pretty much used for grilling only. I don't think alot if anybody exchanges them also.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but It seemed like the poster would be able to answer this question. I use a 20# tank with Big Buddy using the non-quick-connect hose. The literature suggested using a filter (in line with the hose?). I'm currenty not using a filter with the set-up. Do others use a filter?

Swimmer, not many guys are using filters. That suggestion came about last year when The Big Buddy Heaters started having problems. Since then The Big Buddies have been recalled and no more problems, which btw getting plugged wasn't the problem.

Anyway go ahead and use the filter if you want but theres thousands of guys not using them with very little problems.

Well anyone on Cenaiko Thursday afternoon got to see my Big Buddy get thrown out of my Otter after the huge flare up half way up my canvas. I use an 11lb tank with a all the "recommended" Mr. Heater hoses and Filter. For some reason it blew out a fire ball after running about 40 mins. I've never moved so fast!!! My 4 yr old was calm as I was running for the 11lb valve. It kept burning so i took off the hose at the tank and finally was able to grab the shovel and put it out with snow. It burned my hose and part of the plastic on the tank enclosure.

I called Mr. Heater and they are sending me a new one and the quick connect hose. This does not need the filter or the regulator. This is the new model and has less than 8 outings on it. They want it back to look at it.

Other than cleaning out my drawers, there was no other injury or damage. I could have done a little less damage but I was trying to make sure if anything happened I was far enough from my son. I'll keep you posted on what Mr. Heater finds out. They are standing behind it even if it was something that I did.(All the fittings were tight when I removed them so not sure what I else I would have done wrong)

H20fowlr, was this Big Buddy purchased last year? If so theres a recall on them.

This is the new one. My old one I got to use twice before it was recalled.I sent it under their campaign and this is the updated version. Thus I went by their recomendations and used their hoses and the filter.

Sorry to hear about your situation! Glad to hear nobody was hurt!!

Are you talking the quick connect on the tank side or the R.V. quick connect on the big buddy side?

The R.V. quick connect on the big buddy must be regulated according to the Owners manuel.

Quote:

Page 4 of the Big Buddy owners manual.

• WARNING: ANY HOSE CONNECTION TO A QUICK

DISCONNECT FITTING ON HEATER MUST BE

REGULATED TO 11” W.C. PRESSURE

They have a hose made up for the big buddy that they told me I don't need a filter or to add a regulator, and they are sending it with my replacement. It must include a regulator as he told me there would be much less pressure in the hose.

I will wait and see what shows up this week. I know the quick connects need to be regulated but they also told me they don't need the filters when you use the quick connect on the units.

I'll post what I get and what they tell me.