• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best underwater camera?

I'm in the market for an underwater camera and I'd like some opinions. I'll be using the camera for both open-water and hard-water applications. Right now, I'm thinking about going with the Aqua View ZT 100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a Chevy vs. Ford battle you are starting. Both Marcum and Aqua Vu make quality products and the end result is you see on the screen what the camera is pointing at. They have different looking cameras that do the same thing and they have different looking monitors that do the same thing. They have different options available for them, with maybe Aqua Vu being ahead in the option area. Either way you will be happy with what purchase as there really isn't a clear winner here. Just purchase the one you think will fit the bill the best.

well, u answered one of my questions me without even asking, so here goes the next question. I'm looking to get a GPS that I can put lake maps into. Don't need anything "fancy" just the basics. Would like to load local (white bear, bald eagle) and maybe some northern lakes like Winnie. Any suggestion? Thank you.

Like mnfishinguy said, it's all personal preference. The fist time I even touched an underwater camera was a year or so ago and it was a fellow FMr's camera. He happened to be using a VS500(Marcum) and I really liked the features and when I saw one go up for sale I snatched it up. Who knows what would have happened had it been an Aqua View. Sounds like you've got a good one picked out. Good Luck.

kdawg,

For a handheld go with a Lowrance H2O, for a dashmounted unit I would say a Lowrance 334 because of the built in antenna.

Just purchased a H2O this year(multi-purpose, hunting, fishing, and driving). Love it! Must purchase the lakemap chip. With the chip, it enhances the road maps and provides you with plenty of lake detail. I used it for deer hunting this year and was that fun!! no worries about getting lost smile.gif Marked all the stands, deer trails, etc.

I would say a wise investment for the average joe like myself.

The one downer that I have found is the power supply. If you use the wrong type of battery, it doesn't last very long. Still experimenting on that one. Anybody have one and found a battery that works well?

Use the non-rechargeable Lithium AA's. I think they are Eeergizers. They last more than 4 times your standard AA's in the IFinders. They are not cheap but theyare worth the investment in my opinion.

Thanks Walleye Guy!

I will have to give it a shot. It is amazing... the first set of batteries I put in lasted like a half hour. I suppose it doesn't help when you buy them from the dollar store smile.gif

I just bought 2 Aqua_vu's brought both back after couple days Ice fishing one had hardware problems and the other the camera went on fritz after 2 days. I bought the scout and they are junk I'll never buy another Aqua-vu product. I purchased a camera from harbour Frieght tools for 99 dollars on sale havent used it yet but already like better then the Aqua-junk

I got a couple of freinds that have bought those $99 yellow under-water cameras this year. They realy like them and have had no problems with them yet.I got the Hydro-veiw camera from Fleet-Farm for around $139 at christmas time. I really like it!! The Hydro-veiw has a 5 1/2 inch black and white screen.The harbor freight camera has a 4 inch screen.Both cameras seem to be a great value for the small investment. smile.gif

I just returned my 2nd hydro-view back to ffarm, they do not

have any more to exchange, all they have left is returns.I traded up for the Aqua view scout, only used it twice now, but it is worth the extra $60. Maybe I am just hard on my equipment, but I dont think so

I've got a marcum 500 I've had for 3-4 years and love it, never had a problem, other than lossing a clip or two for the directional viewing, the new ones are all one unit for directional, the cost a bit more but in my opinion are worth it.

The harbour frieght yellow camera has a 5.5 inch camera went out last night and used it and its much better then the aqua-junk what features does the fleet farm one have.

Congrats. on your new camera. My two freinds that have the harbor freight camera really like them. They both run them hard , the one guy has his in his big sleeper fish house, and the other guy runs his every weekend in his portable shelter. It should run better than your past aqua-veiw.

Geelsquad, I have had 3 aqua vu's, and all have worked great. But than I also paid more for my units around $300.00

I still have 2 of aqua vu's. I bought 1 this summer with the temp. feature for summer use to find thermo's. I also Work at gander in lakeville, have not heard of any units, come back because they didn't work. You should double check some dealers have been saleing factory seconds, and reworked units. I also like the small fish on my camera it doesn't spook the fish, like my other. I have friends who have other underwater units the don't swim up to they cams.