• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fuel mixture

coyotehunter

Question

could someone please help me with the proper fuel mixture for a strike master lazer mag auger. Thanks---Greg

21 answers to this question

COYOTE HUNTER I RUN 50:1 in my strikemaster, maufactureres may recomend 32:1,but any 2 stroke engine will run just fine on 50:1,ive worked on them all, outboards,weedtrimmers,mowers.i know jiffys recomend 24:1 but in my opinion thats to rich.in fact i use the same gas for my auger that i use in my weed trimmer that way theres no waste and my gas is always fresh.50:1 is 2.6oz to a gallon,32:1 is 4 oz per gallon any more than this is just extra smoke grin.gif

The small bottle of Strike Master oil is enough for 1 gallon of gas. I believe they're 5.5oz, but not positive.

my lazor owners manuel says 24:1 and i do believe on mine it does also say it on or near the tank.

Look for the threads discussing AMZOIL in stikemasters. I just switched to it with near 100 to 1 mixture. Reduced the oil and smoke out of the exhaust and seems to run great with it. I hated the oil spattered on the house walls when drilling.

I buy the little bottles of strikemaster and use it as well. I figure that way if anything ever happens to it I know that I have followed their instructions and used their oil so it will not be because of something that I did. At the end of the summer and winter seasons I just dump whatever mixed gas is left into the near full gas tank in the truck. Then I mix other gas %'s for the weed eater, leaf blower, chain saw etc. I took the auger out yesterday for the first time and it did not seem to be blowing excessive smoke. Having that Lil 2HP sure beats the heck out of the armstrong ones that I have been using for years! Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

24:1 is the recommended ratio for the 2hp StrikeMaster Lazers... Like others have stated, the pre-bottled StrikeMaster Oil is the way to go. Add this to one gallon of Premium gas, and your good to go!!

You can buy the single use small containers of oil that you mix with 1 gallon of gas. Seems to work well on all augers. I believe it's a 50-1 mixture?

Quote:

Look for the threads discussing AMZOIL in stikemasters. I just switched to it with near 100 to 1 mixture. Reduced the oil and smoke out of the exhaust and seems to run great with it. I hated the oil spattered on the house walls when drilling.

I've also switched to the 100:1 Amsoil two cycle oil for all of my 2 cycle engines. I like the less smoke and oil splatter from the exhaust. Plus it's easy to just have the same mixture for everything.

The recommended mixture is 24:1 as discussed above. Strikemaster techs say it is ok to go up to 75:1 with Amsoil, but suggested not doing so until the warranty period expires in case there are any repair issues.

For what it's worth, the guys at D-Rock say to stick with the 24:1 ratio, regardless of the type of oil used, as they have seen engines burnt out on leaner synthetic mixtures.

Tecumseh makes a 50:1 synthetic, but Strikemaster says that Tecumseh won't cover a warranty related repair if you use Tecumseh's synthetic at more that 24:1.

Quote:

Tecumseh makes a 50:1 synthetic, but Strikemaster says that Tecumseh won't cover a warranty related repair if you use Tecumseh's synthetic at more that 24:1.

I guess Tecumseh doesn't have much faith in their synthetic then, huh?

Quote:

I guess Tecumseh doesn't have much faith in their synthetic then, huh?

That did strike me as a strange response.

I stick with 24 to 1 for my auger. My chainsaws, blowers, tillers,etc. get 50 to 1 but they're run differently. The auger is run in the cold in very short high rev bursts while the others are usually warmed up and run for a length of time. I figure the auger needs more lubrication.

As Flagsup stated, 50:1 in everything, I feel that anything much richer then that causes fouled plugs, hard starting, more smoke,less power and overall starting issues when they sit from season to season.

Of course that is just one mans opinion, but I run alot of different equipment that requires different mixtures, everything from gas blowers, whips, mowers, augers, outboards, chainsaws, hedgers, you name it and they all perform.

Most of our small, hand equip. is Echo brand and at 50:1 being used hard everyday, through most of the season, once in awhile by individuals that probably shouldn't be using it, and we have never experienced performance issues related to the mixture.

But, like others have stated, until the warranty wears off, you might want to stick to what the factory advises and after that, maybe stay with it for your own peace of mind?

Me, I'm fine with 50:1 in everything and when left sitting, season to season, I havn't had to use Stabil in any of the equipment...ever...and I have maybe had one or two none starters...maybe I'm just lucky? grin.gif

I use Amzoil in all of my 2 cycles. Chainsaw, tiller, weedeater, generator and everyting else. It works great and I believe that if you have a problem and someone says it was caused by using Amzoil they will back you and make them prove that Amzoil caused the problem. Tecumseh's response about their own synthetic sounds kinda strange to me also. confused.gif

100:1 I believe with the Amsoil. There's an outboard recommended AMSOIL oil, and one for other 2-strokes like power augers. Read the container, but I'm almost positive it's 100:1. And it works. Well.

Joel

Its Saber Professional 100:1 Pre Mix Smokeless oil that you should get for 2 cycle engines. You need to put 1.3 ounces into a 1 gallon tank for the 100:1 mixture or 2.6 ounces of it for 50:1. It works great.

Everyone can throw testamonials out about how great products are, but from what I have found is that these manufactures have done some research. My advice-do what the manufacturer tells you to do. I wish I had a surplus of money to do my own independant testing to see how the bearings, rings, and cylinder walls hold up with different mixes of various brands.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If the manufacture recommends 24:1, why do differently?

I don't have a problem with fouled plugs and by golly yes smoke comes out of the exhaust, its supposed to.

Interesting discussion. All my stuff - weedwhip, ice auger, chain saw said 32:1 until last year when I bought a new Stihl chain saw which recommended 50:1. I was bummed, it meant another can of mixed gas sitting around, you don't know how fresh it is etc, I'd end up dumping some of them out and remixing. When I was moaning to the Stihl dealer about it, he said "just use the 50:1 in everything, the Stihl oil is so good that it would be fine". Mmmmm, I thought, hes in the business of selling and fixing small engines, so what if I burn up a motor, more work for him. So I still have two cans of mixed gas/oil.