• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Lake --Breezy Point how is the ice fishing?

pelican is usually good. most fish are on the smaller side but there are many keepers mixed in too. apparently deeper water is key right now. ive been in the 25 ft. range with so-so results.

I will be staying at Breezy Point Saturday to Monday and giving Pelican a shot. Have 4 wheeler and portable and have a couple spots scoped out to hopefully start with. Due to wife and 4 month old baby time will be some what limited. I am planning on doing the primetime thing (2pm-6pm) both Saturday and Sunday.

I was hoping to get some insight from the guides and bait shops in this forum as to what depths and areas they think we should target to find some eyes? I would prefer to stay somewhat close to the resort as the temps that are forecasted make for a cold wheeler ride. Also what type of minnows/bait should we plan on? As of now my plan is to stop in at Sportland Bait to get bait and hopefully some face to face insight. Two last questions, has the panfish bite started to heat up on any lakes? Are we better off targeting pannies over eyes?

Thanks for the help!!

The best gameplan lately for the eyes has been deep water. I would fish small deep water locations such as sunken islands or tips of deep points. There are plenty of nice options with deep rock up on Pelican near the resort. For crappies we've seen an increase in activity over the last two weeks. I'm not talking limits, but anglers are catching a few during the evenings. In the past I have had good luck fishing Little Pelican just south of Breezy. Sunfish are active along the weed edges but you'll need to do some sorting for better sized pannies. Stop in when you are up.

Jason Erlandson

Jeff, I plan on doing the same thing only with a sled. (More wind protection) Which units are you in? We are right above the main pool.

Jason, I too will see you this weekend for bait and advise. Can you do something about the temps? With this mild winter, I don't know how to handle the cold. How cold are they forecasting this weekend?

Caster

Not sure which exact unit but I think we are either in The Point or Point Place buildings which are connected to the main lodge by way of the skyway. I really wish these temps were going to be better. Oh well you can't catch fish if you aren't on the ice.

Have you ever fished Pelican before? Any tips on spots to try? If you have 2-way radios you can try to get ahold of me on channel 12. We will have a wheeler and probably a sled pulling portables. One is a green double flip over and one is a green Eskimo two man so if you see us stop by to exchange some info. I want to start out fishing to the south and west of gooseberry island just off the rock reef you can see on a map. I am guessing that spot gets fished quite a bit since it's so close to the resort but it looks like it could produce. Guess we will find out. Hopefully one of us will find some fish.

Jeff,

I've never fished Pelican before so this will be new to me also. I have always snowmobiled at Breezy but I don't remember a lot of people fishing during this week but the season is usually ending or has ended. With the weather, I'm not sure a lot of people will be out either.

I'll bring my two-way and set it on 12. I'll be on a red Polaris XC 700 with an Eskimo flipover. I'll stop by and say hi. I was thinking of starting on the South end but I heard the North end was producing some too. It will be nice to have someone else to share info with. Maybe we can figure these things out.

Caster

Seems to be a bit more structure on the south end but the ride out on the wheeler or snowmobile is going to be a cold one which will likely keep me on the north end. I don't think the portable is going to fit in the back of the Pacifica and we unfortunately can't get the car seat in my pick up. I agree it will be nice to have someone to share info with. We can hopefully cover a bit more water that way. We will likely have our two portables in different locations to cover more water as well. Good luck and hopefully tight lines.

• 2 weeks later...

jason am coming up 2 brainerd area this weekend and just wondering where to fish if any hotspots let me know

thanks

brainerd first timer

Right now it's time to fish panfish and as far as I know the smaller lakes are still producing best. Try the deep holes for crappies in the evenings. The sunfish are starting to bite pretty good during the day in 8-16 feet of water. Small ice jigs tipped with a wax worm or maggot have been working the best. If you want to stop in while you are in the area maybe I could show you a few spots.

Jason Erlandson