• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spinning Reels

I am looking for some recommendations on spinning reels for walleye fishing. I have been looking at a Quantum energy PTi and a Shimano Stradic. Which would you recommend or what others would you recommend. Thanks

I bought a Stadic last spring. I ordered 2 more last week if that tells you anything. I have never used Quantums but I'm sure you'll hear from guys that like them just as much as I like Stradics. smirk.gif

A bought a Pinnacle Alyssa last year and now have two of them. They are only around $50. Im a fan of Shimano but when i tried these i was amazed for the price.

I have a couple of each and I actually like the PTi better than the Stradics. They are very smooth and have excellent drag systems. I towards the end of last year I was using a PTi 100% of the time over the Stradics.

There are a ton of good reels in that price range. Shimano is a time tested reel and a good one but there are reels out there for less just as good. I use about 75% Shimanos but all my trolling reels and line counters are Okuma and Diawa. Okuma also makes some very nice spinning reels for the money. I havent burned one out yet so that says something. Out of about 50 Shimanos I have only had 2 poor ones.Hit the stores and talk to the people working and ask questions. You would be surprised who's making reels for who these days.

Those just happen to be the last 2 spinners I've bought. I had the quantum and really liked it, but I couldn't get another in the next size up that I wanted for shorecasting so I got the shimano. Both are excellent. It's a win-win situation.

I've got a couple Shimano's that I've had for at least 7 years. I don't recall the model, I want say it's a number like 2000 or 4000, not sure though. These reels have never had a problem in that entire time. They are still my most used reels for walleye fishing.

I AM MORE OF A SHIMANO FAN THAN ANYTHING ELSE SO THAT WOULD BE MY CHOICE JUST BECAUSE. 1 THING TO LOOK AT THOUGH IS WEIGHT. THE STRATIC MAGNESIUM IS GOING TO BE A LOT LIGHTER THAT THE ENERGY.

Ok, you all know I'm going to say Quantum, as I field staff for that product. But, it is the best reel for the money on the market. For $80 bucks you get the Kinetic PTi, six ball bearings, titanium bail,magnetic bail trip (no bail spring to wear out or break)and the best ceramic drag system out there today. I've fished kinetics for 4 years on my client rods, without one mechanical problem.

I am a Shimano fan and have two Stradic that are great. I also have some other models but the Stradics are the best of what I have. I did buy a Tica Libra yesterday to try out. I have really like there Cetus series of reels and I have been wanting to try some of their bigger reels so now I will know. I picked it up on Ebay for $66 buck with shipping and they should be around $79 retail from Cabelas.

IFFWalleyes,

Great minds think alike! Hope your TICA Libra is as good as the Cetus 500 series, nothing comes close to the cetus ultralights for the $. Yeah, have I got the fever for some 2006 recreational investments. Just waiting for the shelves to get stocked so I can fondle the latest technology.

As far as spinning reels in general, the features to price have been making unbelievable strides the past couple years, it's got to slow down soon!! Good luck with you purchases!!!

Kris

I use 90% Shimano and think they are excellent. I have a couple of Stradic's but the Symetre is an excellent choice as well.

Another reel you may want to consider that is a heck of a buy is the Mitchell Avocet. This real is $30 and it has 8 ball bearings. I used one on occassion last year and had zero complaints. If I didn't know any better I would think the Mitchell was at least a $70 reel.

I'd have to agree with the Mitchell Avocet. The gold model. I picked one up at Bass Pro last year for $24.99 on sale. It's very impressive! It stood up to a season of open water and is still working as well as when it was new.

Last year I picked up a couple Pflueger President spinning reels and I absolutely love them - great feel, excellent responsivity, and very smooth drag. If I remember correctly they were in the $60 range too. Used Shimano and Abu Garcia before.

Daze Off

I bought a Diawa 9 ball bearing spinning real just today from Fleet Farm for $39.00 and WOW.. feels like it could be a $100 reel.. really impressed at the quality these days. Feels as good as my 2 $80 Shimano reels.

I've been a Shimano fan for years. I've still got an old TX200 that I bought like 15 years ago or so... and it still works great. So if you're going to choose between the two, I'd say Shimano.

BUT, if you aren't just stuck on those two, give the Pflueger President a try. it's about $15-$20 less than the Stradic, and I'll honestly say that the one I bought 2 years ago is my favorite reel that I own. No problems at all, nice smooth drag, good retrieve rate, and it just feels comfortable in my hand.

Look and compare, then go with what feels best on the rod you're putting it on. A good, solid, balanced set-up will always perform great for you, but if the whole set-up isn't balanced well, you can have the most expensive equipment out there and it just won't feel right.

The older Team Daiwa SS Tournament Series, if you can find them, are great reals for the price, i.e. 80-90 bucks if I remember right. I have the Stradics as well, both are great reels. Just bought a President this weekend and am already in love with it even though it hasnt made it outside yet. Very, very smooth reel for the price...60ish.

I've been looking into picking up a pflueger president as well. Can't deside between it or the Okuma Epixor. Both around $55.

Shimano Stradic over 100 bucks, or Sahara for under 80 bucks.

I have used both models hard for years without a problem.

I bought a Pinnacle years ago for about 70 bucks and it's junk compared to Shimano.

While we're on the subject--have any of you ever forked-out over 200 bucks for one of the premium Shimano or Daiwa spinning reels?

I have 2 Okuma Epixors and I like them very much. They're a good inexpensive reel. The last reel I purchased was a Shimano Symetre and I'm very happy with that. I purchased a Pfluger Trion baitcasting reel last year and so far I like my Shimano Curado much better.

I've got an Epixor Baitrunner that I use for cats and a Pflueger President that I use for bass, northerns, and those pesky walleys on occasion. They are both really nice reels that won't break the bank.

I'm a big fan of Shimano's Sahara and Sedona models. I just can't bring myself to terms spending over $100 on a spinning reel when I know these 2 work excellent!

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Sustain. Love it! Would get another one but I picked up one of those things called an old lady AFTER I bought the first one, and she almost fell over when she found out what they cost. So I think it will be some time before I get another. mad.gif

I too, am a Shimano guy. I use Symetre's. 79.99. Never any problems. Actually, never any problems w/ any of my Shimano reel's. Baitcaster or spinning.

Ahhh, brand loyalty.

Daiwa.

all day--everyday

They get Smoother with time. Shimmy Shimano get sandy.

I run capricorns on my spinning rods, and my DOB Has nuttin to do with it.

Just picked up a Pflueger Medalist and a President today at Cabelas. Will be using one for jigging rod and other for rigging. Both feel very nice and tight. Have used Symetres for the last couple of years and they have treated me o.k. but I really can't say that I've been overly impressed with them. Hopefully the Pfluegers will perform as well as they feel.

My Tica Libra came a couple weeks ago my intial insticts tell me I am going to like it as well my Cetus reels. It is a nice smooth reel. I will be using it for trolling I am pretty sure that I will be ordering another one for my jigging rod.

• 3 weeks later...

the michelle gold 308 is a nice reel for around 45 bucks light and smooth i have others but 308 is just a nice walleye reel. DLK. JUST ONE MORE CAST.