• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catfish kill on Chesterwoods.

Does everyone remember that catfish kill that happened this past summer on Chesterwoods? We saw tons of them dead and washed up.

The last I heard was the DNR was investigating.

Was there ever an update on it?

Carl,

I have been looking online for any reports that I could dig up on it, but sadly haven't found any.

Sometimes these events are just not considered newsworthy and get little if any follow-up coverage.

As I mentioned in the other forum, with a restricted water flow in times of high heat and little rainfall, these reservoirs can fall prey to "skunking" and the fish they contain can pay the price. Kills are not always going to take place in these ponds though.

There have been a couple of kills in the Zumbro within the last twenty years and a minor event took place at the Country Club not real long ago...maybe four years or so. And that one was not ever mentioned, if memory serves me right.

It would have to be of great consequences that this kill at Chesterwoods had any lasting effect on the fish. Since it was specie specific and happened at a certain time, I'd bet that the fish were all about the same size. If that was the case, then those fish of that specie being larger or smaller than those killed would benefit and be better for this happening. Mother Nature can employ some unusual ways to keep populations in check.