• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jumped ship

Scoot

I've been a Bowtech guy since 2000. I've shot a Black Knight 2 since '03. Yesterday I ordered an '05 Hoyt Protech. I felt bad going away from Bowtech- they've been good bows for me for quite a while. However, I really like the look and feel of the Protech. Somebody tell me I didn't screw up.

It's a ford/chevy/dodge thing. If the bow does what you want it to and it feels right it was the best decision. Both companies make a good product and will stand behind it.

first of all, congrats on your new bow. How could you go wrong if you bought a bow that you like, it works for ya and the company has a long history of standing behind their product? Sounds like a solid choice to me.

I just got into this sport a few months ago and couldn’t believe how many great bows are on the market...I shot tons and went with the one that felt best for me...didn’t really care who made it...as long as they had a history of good customer service.

I think Gus said it perfectly....ford v. chevy sorta thing. Some people take brand name loyalty pretty seriously...oh well, I suppose since I shoot Matthews I will have to start disliking everyone who does not.....or whatever. Silly tongue.giftongue.gif

Good luck and have fun with your new bow. wink.gif

Cliffy

I don't think you'll be sorry, I love my Hoyt. Havn't shot the Protech, but if it's like most of them, it should be sweet.

Wait a minute, Scoot, you can't do that. Didn't you read the Bowtech owners manual? You can't shoot anything else, Bowtech OWNS YOU now! tongue.gif

Seriously, though, had a friend that bought a BT Patriot dual cam and just didn't like it, switched to a Hoyt with the Cam+1/2 and shot well. As said above, shoot what feels good, who cares about name brands....'cept for those guys that shoot m-m-m-ath-ath-att, jeez, I can't even say it! wink.gif

Hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder, doesn't matter what name is on it, if it feels good, shoot it, man, shoot it! Let us know how you like the Protech.

Congrats on the new bow. I've been shooting a 6-7 yr old Darton and its worked great for me. BOught it used and haven't looked back. I can't wait to get a NEW bow.

Its all about finding what works for you.

The Patriot dual cam is a tough bow to shoot because of the short brace height. its not for everyone, but man is it fast!!

I'll add a congrats on the new bow as well.. I have been a hoyt dude for years!... I have 4 of them I think.. mabye 5... great shooting bow!

I've always shot Golden Eagles, I'm on my third one, I've just liked the way they felt, but I'm bummed because Golden Eagle has been sucked up by Fred Bear bows and is no longer made. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif So next time I get the itch for a new bow, I'll be out searching and shooting the different brands - Fred Bear probably lost me becasue I'll be open to any and all bows.

Hey congrats on the new bow

No one can tell you what to buy, its all feel. I myself shoot matthew and before that i shot PSE. I liked the PSE but bought the matthew because it was so much smoother. Another Congrats and i cant wait for bowhunting.

Andrew Shae

Not another Hoyt guy.....I thought putting up with Dietz was hard enough wink.gif

I was a hoyt guy for one year, didn't have the $$ to buy a top grade hoyt bow at first and was semi happy with it. Then I got a chance to get a Matthews at discount and have been happy ever since smile.gif

I just bought a PSE Mach 9 on ebay tonight. I can hear the razzzzzzing already! I can take it! x's are x's. You'll love the protec. I've shot an Aspen since 1999.

7211319wg.gif

I'm so sorry Deitz, but I just couldn't resist. In all fairness, I should probably post a pic of the WI brute I shot - he might have 6 or 7 more inches of antler than yours smirk.gif

Thanks fellas. After being a very big Bowtech guy for quite a few years it didn't feel right switching to something else. I've shot a lot of other bows and I'm pretty sure that I'll be happy with this one. I shot some Mathews, Bowtechs, and Hoyts before I decided on this one.

We'll see if it'll do the job on a buck as big as Dietz shoots. Hopefully it'll get the chance to find out!

"We'll see if it'll do the job on a buck as big as Dietz shoots. Hopefully it'll get the chance to find out! "

Having little nubs is considered a BIG BUCK?!? Oh boy, Dietz has really set the standard for us big buck hunters.

grin.gif

I just pulled a roas out of the freezer of that big boy.. gonna throw it in the crock pot!.. yeah baby!!!!

Guess I haven't shot one big enough to have developed that 'roas' muscle yet grin.gif Is it a pretty tasty cut Deitz?

This post is turning into the Deitz celebrity roast - can't imagine how that got started smirk.gif

rats! I just get myself in more trouble each time I open this site!

Watch your back boys.. I owe you one now! shocked.gifsmile.gif

A quick update on my ship-jumpin' activities. I've ordered a new cable and string for the Protech. I just got it a couple days ago (finally showed up). Yeeehhaa- what a sexy looking bow!!! It's an '05 Protech in the Safari colors- I really like the looks of this bow! I'll report back after I've got the cable and strings, set it up, and run some arrows through it. But so far, I can tell you that as far as bows go, it's some serious eye candy!

yeah, totally, why say all those nice thing and not attach a picture? DUDE, lets see that sweet mama!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I went up to the bowclub to take some pics of the new rig and put my new string and cables on. I figured I'd get these pics up to show off the bow and take care of all of the requests to see it. I put on my new Vapor Trails and quick drew my bow to make sure things looked good. They did not- I was getting rubbing on the string on the bottom cam. I double-checked the cams for lean and made some adjustments there- they are perfect now. I checked the limb pockets- looked good. After working on it for a couple hours I finally brought to the local expert (Tom at the Outdoorsman- a true bow guru). Tom worked on it for quite a while and totally struck out. He swapped the limbs around and totally reconstructed the bow. He talked with Hoyt several times and both he and Hoyt are at a complete loss. I'm quite annoyed. Apparently the bow gods are not happy with me jumping ship. Stay tuned...

Once I have a bow that I can actually shoot, I'll get some pics up. Until then, I'll just be annoyed and frustrated!