• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer Fishing on the Mississippi

eric anderson

does anyone have any advice on where to go to catch some pike, muskie, catfish and carp in the summertime.(preferbly close to the st. cloud, sartell, and rice area) and what bait worked good for you last year.

thanks for any information!!

Ha, you didn't specify all those things in your question in the cat forum. I grew up in Sartell. We used to get lots and lots of suckers and carp below the dam in Sartell in the spring. You can fish from shore right where the Sauk dumps into the Miss under the (Contact US Regarding This Word). There's also a good number of walleye and smallmouth down there, and I've caught a few northerns, rock bass, crappies, eelpout, channel cats, and I saw a big muskie come out of there one time. It's a good place to go if you don't have a boat. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Carp and suckers were mostly caught on worms. Walleyes and bass on lots of things, mostly a jighead and twister tail.

thanks for the info. i am defintelty try it in the summer. i usuually bring my boat down to municipal park, and i found a island just close by and you can catch some nice smallies around the island, i usually use crankbaits. thanks again! good luck fishing. oh by the way could i launch my boat below the dam??

• 2 weeks later...

There are 3 landings below the Sartell dam and above the St Cloud dam. 1 behind the SA in Riverside Dr, one in the park in Sauk Rapids... can't think of the name and 1 at Riverside park in St Cloud.

The launch in Sartell is unimproved, but the Sauk Rapids and St Cloud launches are good enough for any boat. I could launch my 1750 nighthawk from the Sauk Rapids launch, but there are ALOT of big rocks nearby that prevent me....

Tom B

I have a cabin near grand rapids, very close to School Craft State Park. My father and I went out on the river once last year just to give it a whirl. We had little luck being it was the first time either of us had the river. What are some techniques some of you use for river fishing? Has anyone fished portions of the river by School Craft? Thanks in advance

yeah i have a lot of luck using bright looking crankbaits especially rapaplas. i troll close by the shore and will alawys catch a bass or norhern. i dont have any advice on the grand rapids area.

I've not had much luck below the GR dam.

The way I see it, the closer ya git to HWY 2, the fewer the smallies.

Pike action was good on spinners in late spring, just after opener.

Above the dam, west on hwy 2, I've done well with the greenies, but can't remember catchn' any smallies.

The best five days of smallie fishn' in my life was on that stretch in the spring of '91.

Spinner bait heaven.

Gets kinda weedy down by the Nokasippi later in the year, so peel some buzzers over the weed beds.

Note: If fellow forum members don't agree with me posting specifics (even thought I think I've been vague enuff) I'll take your concerns under consideration....Ya can email me if ya like. KT

Brainerd to F.Ripley eah!

Yep! grin.gif

It's been getting alot more pressure in the last couple years. There are fish in there grin.gif I don't know what your chasing though? Re: skies....could be worth your time if you get to know it, smallies.....there here but alot of unproductive spots. Or just turn on your TV and watch the Lindners or In-Fish film around the popular landmarks. It's like any stretch you hit, if you put your time in you could get a pretty good milk run going. Now, how's about anybody willing to part with info. just south of Blanchard Dam. It seems I keep traveling further and further south to avoid the crowd and this year I may end up in St. Cloud. Sorry guys! Not that there isn't pressure there but I love chasing new water.

Quote:

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Oops...hope I didn't step on anybodies toes with specifics either. I don't like to make waves, just friends and new spots! P.S. I'm always open to trading info. via e-mail.

That's what I thought! tongue.gif

I love big ugly fish and after river fishing for the past nine years big ugly rocks don't bother me that much either. smirk.gif

Quote:

I spend most of my life fishing, the rest I just waste."

• 1 month later...

i just started fishing rivers i havnt had much luck down at the scsu dam i fish off shore i read there is some action down below the sartell dam i use rubber storm minnows any info or tips would be much apreciated

thanks alot for any info

Dear Musky Nut! Hope you got yourself a Jet Boat. If not, call on me and i'll trade you something for a musky trip south of the blanchard dam in my riverpro

fishin24/7 you might do better the middle of may when the season opens for dem der eyes fathead minnow and a split shot does wonders. if you prefer plastics try to find a 3 inch mr twister bleeding shiner.

24/7,

Do you only use one kind of lure? If so i think you need to "broaden your horizon" in lure selection. Ive got a big box full of crap that i dont use often but you never know when you come across a situation that calls for something different.

Fonz: I was a day away from sending KT $$ on a RP about this time last year when the wife went in for an ultrasound and found out we got a two for one special. Some evil demon sat on my shoulder and told me I should hold off....Or maybe that was my wife? Either way, still no jet, just a Bass Tracker and a 14' Jon, both with rock hoppers. My goal is to have finances in order to order up the RP about this time next year. So, don't tempt me like that. I don't know if I can hold off another year without hitting that stretch. If you need it, I could trade you an edumacation or a trip or two anywhere on the upper sippi from Crosby to Brd., Brd to L.Falls and L.Falls to Blanchard. That's been my backyard since I started River Fishin. I could probably even set you up on some of them small(ie) fish everyone on this forum likes to chase. laugh.gif

"Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time."