• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shift Range Inhibitor - Silverado

wooly1

Question

I get this error message in my 03 Siverado 2500 HD. Sometimes it won't shift into reverse and the drive shifts like its stuck in second or third gear. This is a sporadic problem and seems worse now in the winter.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

Is this an allison trans? If so I would agree with the neutral safety switch. Common problem on the allison is my understanding. Although I thought it was more common on the 01-02 models.

If it is the Allison trans and the neutral safety/back up switch is defective. Here's the part # 29540479. It retails for about a buck fifty. But if the connectors with pigtails are shot it's gonna run another buck and a half. The part #'s are 15305887 for the 7way and 88987185 for the 4 way.

Most GM dealers will have them in stock. I know that we carry them on hand.

Had the same think happend on my '02 last year. Except mine showed no warning it just quit. The dealer should be able to get you fixed up.

Dan how hard is it to replace these parts? Where are the wire harnesses located?

I really don't know how tough of a job it is. I just sell the parts. 24 years behind the parts counter and I can't even loosen a rusted nut without busting it off. I'm all thumbs.

But in all seriousness it don't look like it's too bad. I think the time consuming part would be heat shrinking both ends of all those butt connectors.

Airjer? You would know more about this than me. What do you think?

Quote:

Dan how hard is it to replace these parts? Where are the wire harnesses located?

Ask for an estimate at your local dealer, they are not the cheapest, and call Northfield too.....

I don't think it's a tough job at all, I believe the switch is external on transmission, maybe a schematic of transmission will help, try to search online. I definitely would not spend $ 150.00 to have it fixed by a shop when it can be dove very easily by myself. There is a lot of information online about Allison transmissions, you have a 1000 series, and I believe Allison web site itself might be able to help.

I had the dealership fix mine cost me around $300. But I was in a tight spot I didn't know what happend and I wasn't at home so I didn't have time to shop around I had to get it fixed. But I was just curious how much of a job it really was to fix.

Wayner,

Yeah, Allison tranny on a 6.6 liter Fleetside diesel engine.

Thanks for the feedback guys.