• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any reports on Madison I havnt fished it this winter just wondering if its worth my time to give a try.

Fished Madison on Sunday. Late afternoon about 2 hours before sundown was good. Jigging with a black and silver #5 jiggin' rap. Had to drill a few holes before we located the fish. Found the fish, jigged em' and dead sticked 'em. Crappies were big, saw no 'eyes. Started in 20 fow and worked our way to 36 fow. Best action was 30-32 fow with fish suspended at about 20 to 24 feet. Good luck.

Hey big were they the white crappies or did you find some of those slab black crappies too?

Ya know, I unhooked 'em and tossed 'em on the ice. Never really paid attention. tongue.gif They were all 10 to 12 inch fish. I do know I had one small white that I tossed back down the hole just before we left. The guy that was with me took 'em, so I didn't even get to look at them while I was cutting them. Sorry.

The crappies I've been catching on Madison this week have been white crappies. Found them in 30 fow. The majority are 12 inchers.

I have only fished Madison once in the winter and that was a few years back, I have off tomorrow and am wondering if you guys are getting those bigger crappies during the day at all in that deep water?? Also is the narrows area the best spot to be?? If I would go out I would probably drill holes in 20-35 feet and try to find some suspended fish. My main question is if they bite throughout the day though?? any info would be great! thanks.

I dont know about Madison,but I know on Washington there is and I plan on trying to find it tommorrow. smile.gif

I fished madison saturday night between 4 of us we caught 3 walleys all between 12-18" and 3 nice crappies. All in all it was a good time. Nice to see that fish are finally being caught out there.

fisky has it been more of an evening bite? I was out there a couple of weeks ago in the early morning and only managed a couple of small perch.

~piker

ive been fishing out there close to 3 or 4 times a week just in the morning and ive averaged catching 1 to 2 crappies, all on different jigging rapalas, but havent had one walleye out there, ive only fishing the narrows but im just curious what everyone is using out there, i would love to catch a walley before the seasons over.

I have noticed that the walleys are more of night bite. I got all of them dead sticking a minnow on a demond between 4-7pm. I didn't even get a bite on my jigging raps. Even the crappies came on the minnow. Hope this helps guys. I was just west of the narrows in 22' of water.

I've been checking in on this site all season. It's been a great place to find reliable information from a bunch of fellow ice anglers willing to share what they know... thanks guys. Now I finally have an opportunity to be useful.

I was on Madison yesterday (Sunday) from 3 to 7. I was camped out on the east of the narrows between the cow's bar access and church bar in about 20'. I only caught a few small walleye on a small demon and the smallest minnows I could find. I mixed it up with ratso and another little pan jig with waxies, but no luck. Finally, about 5 to 6, the crappies moved through. I caught several small ones and decided to switch back to minnows. That was a good choice. I ended up with 2 12" crappies. Everything went back into the lake.

You gotta love Washington, but I'm going to give Madison another shot this weekend.

Welcome to the FishingMinnesota and the Southcentral forum Icehaus! I think you'll find many good natured and very informative people on this site and in this forum. It's always nice to see this site and forum grow with people like yourself. Keep up the good reports and again, welcome!

hit madison today only 2 crappies I did see a few fish but they would not go but still fun to get out I was out by the cow bar in 20fow 11 days till iceman and I hit red cant w8 grin.gif

Good luck up on Red there Trouble. My brother just got back from URL and the bite is tough up there he said. I don't know where they went out from, probably Rogers. Said he got about 6 fish between the 2 of them, but Black Duck is producing some nice perch he said. BTW, I don't know if my email went thru to you or not.

we go out of hillmans the last 2 years we have did good up there but you really have to put some holes in the lake but its fun ya I got your mail not the same guy I thought it was we will have to hit the lake sometime might hit washington later this week and hit madison again on saturday

Hey trouble not to get off the Madison topic but I'm going to be on Red lake this week Thursday and Friday out of a sleeper at Morts. Then I'm giving LOW a shot on Saturday. I'm bringing my two boys and my dad. Should be fun! I've heard the same thing about the bite being tough, but hopefully things pick up. Good luck up there!

~piker

Trouble you didnt by chance get up too Red last year with some fellas from St Clair did you?

Is it just a spoof or do walleyes really like ratso's. The other night I found some great structure for walleyes and was catching some huge perch on a small blue ratso tiped with a spike. Then the walleyes moved in and loved the ratso. I ended up with 4 nice 16 to 18 inch fish. All back in the lake.

Ive had a similar experience except it was on waconia, we were on some nice crappies and then walleyes moved through and were hammering a ratso...i thought it to be odd but im sure were not the only ones this has happened to.

No Iceman and I are both from Jasneville this is our 3rd year going up to red last year I bet we cought 100+ crappies most went back into the lake its a fun time

Don't forget your hand warmers. I hope that cold front doesn't screw you up to bad. Good luck up there.

I went to madison sunday night and set up in 30' on the west side of the narrows and got nadda alot of lookers but no takers, there was alot of green otter's around me including mine any FM'ers?