• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was thinking about this the other nite and was wondering if anyone has done this and what sort of success they have had on any area lakes here, I like to run three way crankbaits in 20-30 feet of water but have not had much success around here with it, any thoughts or suggestions would be great for the summer ahead

That's because you're fishing way too deep! grin.gif

If you want to run deep cranks around here and do well, look for the suspended fish in the main basins of whichever body of water you're on. Sometimes "deep" means right under the surface in 40' of water.

Never had much luck with the deep stuff my self. A couple of years ago we started running spinners and shallow cranks like T O said and had some success. I don't think you'll find too many fish deeper than 30' in the summer around here. Not much oxygen left down that deep. Your better off fishing the low light periods of the day in shallow water. Like 5' and less sometimes. We are usually off the water by sunup in the summer months. And if we fish the night bite, We don't get there sometimes until sunset.

I pull a lot of baits with boards in the summer on Millacs. Like TO said you do not need to be any where near the bottom. Scrap the 3 ways and bouncers and use a planer board vary the amount of line from the rod to the board. I usually run 4 lines when I can (enough people in the boat) and start at 60,80,120,140 troll a while and keep moving depth. The key is to be in a deep basin with at least 25 feet or more depth. If you have lots of structure it can be difficult because of snagging. I like the big and little reef runners, risto raps and storms. I also like a long 8 or 9 foot rod with line counters or count the passes on a baitcaster. Lots of expermenting. Get the boards away from the boat. When you think they are far enough let out another 100feet! It can be difficult to tell when you have a bite at first. A trick I learned is to set you drag as light as possible so the board is not taking dag with the waves. When a fish hits the drag will go. Great way to pick off some summertime eyes. Some real hogs too.

Good luck

Lab

Ah yes deep water eyes i can see it now. You know how to give a guy the fever to go do something. Oh well back to business. I don't know what you are set up with for rods, but the first thing you should get is a line counter reel. I suggest a Scheel size 27 it is made for them by diawa, but hase some extra bearings were diawa was trying to save money. I have heard of people using alot of differn't rods, that goes hand and hand with idividual style, but if I had to choose one it would be a Scheels pc 8 1/2' telescoppic. I've never broke one and i am far from nice to equipment. Now spool up with your choice of line from 10' mono for that trolling bible, or maybe you get creative and go to 10' fireline and you use the conversion chart in the trolling bible,great!! Again if you are looking for another option I would spool up with 5-6 colors of lead core. You can take a #5 jointed Shad Rap and run it 25' down if you want, talk about a tasty little snack for a walleye

There is no limit to what lure you run on lead core line, you could pull anything from lazy ike to a zara spooke if you want you just have to keep an eye on your speed lead is very speed sesitive. Good luck!