• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How to record Aqua Vu images?

TSCTSC

Question

I want to record some of the images that I see on the Aqua Vu underwater camera. There is a video out jack on the moniter. What cable must I buy to be able to output the video signal for recording? Thanks!

20 answers to this question

Its just a simple RCA jack i believe... Aqua vu now sells a DVR, I ordered one and cant wait to get it. I have used a 12" TV/VCR to record some stuff and you can also hook it right up to a vid camera using the vid out and vid in.

Good luck! It really is a ton of fun.

There is a new portable version (DVR only) coming out that will allow you to hook it up to just about every Aqua-Vu model to record your underwater action. You won't have to buy the Aquv-Vu DVR model, you can just buy the DVR hardware for a much cheaper price.

Then you can download it right to your computer for editing and uploading. Sounds like quite the product if you ask me. It's going to make things a lot easier on those who are looking to capture some of that exciting underwater footage!

The new DVR records 15 minutes. I take my Sony handycam hi-8 and record right to it. There is a cable that comes with the camera and all you need to do is follow some simple instructions and you can record hours and hours worth if you have enough tape and battery. When I get home I follow a few more simple instructions and download it to the pc to edit out what I want. The camera stays high and dry in the back of my tub in it's case, and the best part is I just saw them on sale at Best Buy for $200. 200 bucks for a small video camera that you can use other places too, besides on the Aqua Vu.

mnfishinguy

What brand and model are you referring to?? I have a regular 8mm camera but I do not know how I can get that video to my PC let alone edit it. I would like to record out of my Marcum 560 but have never figured out how.

Can anyone post any input or help.

We have a Sony DCR-TRV460 NTSC. I think we paid around $550 two years ago and just saw the same thing (probably better with updates) for $200. I about cried in the store. It works slick but being it is a tape and transfering it to the compute is a slow process. Do the Marcums have a video out jack?

The video camera (not the Aqua Vu camera) came with a cable that has red/white/yellow RCA plug-in's and a headphone style jack on the other end. The yellow plug in goes on the Aqua Vu video out jack and the headphone style jack goes into the video camera.

My Marcum has a video out jack. The problem is my Sony doesn't have video in. frown.gif

{Wait a minute..after reading your post I may have that plug on my video camera. It's going to drive me nuts until I get home. crazy.gif}

TSCTSC,

You'll have to look over your equipment but I would guess you'll need to different cables. You'll need one cable to connect your underwater camera to your recording device. It will depend on the jacks on both these units but they should both be RCA jacks. So any standard RCA jack chord will work. They are usually color coded red, white, and yellow. Red and white are audio and yellow is video. You will only need the video for this application.(in fact, your only using one so it really doesn't matter which color you use.)

Downloading the video onto your computer will depend on your computer. My desktop computer had parallel ports only until I installed USB ports. So that one has both, but my laptop is USB only. So that would require a chord with RCA on one end and either a parallel or USB port on the other.

Joe, actually you do need to use the yellow coded connector because of the coresponding location on the other (camcorder) end. When I first tried it that's what I thought and it didn't work. Then I realized I was sending a video signal to the audio port. Silly me. Mine is located under a little trap door under the light. It's got a yellow ring around it and it's located right next to the A/V connection port.

TSC, you will have to go into the menu of your video cam and set it to record off of an input device, then you will have to do the same to get it to play off of the usb cable to the PC. It's alot simpler than it sounds. If you have to, you can always go to your camera's website and ask them how to do it??

or you could just record to a laptop directly. Maybe not the best thing to have out on the ice, but it's possible.

TSCTSC,

First make sure your camera has video-in capability. Then hook up the RCA cable & set your video camera to the VCR mode to record from your Aqua-view. To transfer your video to the computer you'll need a firewire cable. Make sure your camera & computer both have firewire ports. You'll also need some type of video editing software to capture & edit your video. I use Adobe Premiere but there are plenty of cheaper options like I-Movie or Motion-DV etc. In some cases a USB cable will also work for capturing but there will be a loss in video quality due to the compression. By the way Mini-DV cameras are cheaper than ever. If you're buying a new cam to record underwater images, buy a digital with video-in & Firewire capabilities plus whatever other features are important to you.(low-light, zoom, size etc.) If you plan to edit your videos then stick to digital tape as opposed to Hi-8 or DVD .

Good luck, Vern

I checked mine last night and it only has video out. Anyone recommend a cheap camera with video in capability?

Sony. Stop by one of the big boxes over by Maplewood and see what they have on sale.

I have found the AV cable that has the red white and yellow plug. Now trying to figure how my sony can record video in. Looked thru the menus and everything but cannot find the control. Only get a grey screen when I record. If you have a sony, can you tell me how you set yours to record. Hopefully it is the same idea. I have lost my manual so I have nothing to go on and although I have emailed Sony, I think it will take a couple of days.

On mine this is what I have to do.

First thing is put the camera in the Play/Edit mode, then

1 Touch [p-menu]

2 touch [rec-ctrl] (You might have to search around the menu to find it)

3 touch [rec-pause]

4 get the camera cables and everything set up then touch [rec start] on the screen and you should be recording.

I hope that helps.