• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Well lady's and gentlemen, it's game 7 of the World Series, the bases are loaded, bottom of the 9th, we're down by one run and I just wiffed for my second strike!

Ode to the upcoming baseball season! tongue.gif

Struck out again today ice fishing on Washington. confused.gifmad.gifconfused.gifmad.gif Fished a couple break lines that sloped from 5'-10' adjacent to a large flat. And, as last Friday, I didn't mark a fish on the flasher, nor did I see any on the camera, nor did I get a bite. Nada, nothing, zippo again. Fished up above the weeds in 7fow, right on the edge of weeds in 8'-9', and out from the weeds in 11fow from 5:00pm to 6:30pm. Spent an hour from 4:00 - 5:00 drilling holes and searching for something, anything. Even tried TO's lighting technique, but when the fish aren't there, it doesn't really matter.

On the up-side of things...I bought my first pair of ice cleats before heading out today. Didn't really need them for walking out, but sure did come in handy walking back in.

I hope I don't start to sound like a broken record, but....maybe next time. Although next time will be up in the Hutch area hitting one of my favorite walleye lakes (where I got the 'eye in my avatar).

Good luck and good fishin' to all! I'll be back down south again before it thaws to give it another go, but will probably hit Madison to try and find some late Feb. 'eyes.

I was hoping that you would have had some luck.One question I have for you is,were you fishing on the east side of the lake?The last few weeks out,I have been out from the north landinga few times and I have found that I have a very diffucult time marking fish there.It usually has alot of good spots to pick up all species.It seems to me that the east side around third point and the area to the right of the landing might just have gotten to much traffic and pushed the fish to some different locations.Just a thought.

Yep, I was on the east side (almost decided to go to west side...shoulda stuck with my instincts). However, I wasn't fishing close to anyone nor to third point. The area I was fishing, I saw about 4 very old holes, so the area hadn't been hit hard at all. BUT, you might be right...the area from the middle to the north might not be holding the numbers of fish it did earlier in the year when there wasn't so much traffic.

I know a couple areas on the west side that I would try, but I've been itching to get after some walleyes and need to satisfy my fix going after those for a couple outings. Crappies and sunnies are awesome, but I can count on ONE HAND how many 'eyes I've caught through the ice, and that just bugs the heck outta me.

Anyway, I'm rambling. One thing that I wish I had which would make searching a whole lot easier and more effective would be a sled or an atv. Might have to talk to my boss about using the 2wd atv!

I really believe if you use the same tactics but on the west side of the lake you might do considerably better.When Ive fished the west side I seem to mark alot more fish.I started out from the north landing early this year and the fishing was nothing short of great,but as the traffic increased,the catching decreased.I have been moving around the west side and some days fishing the east.The west for now has been much better.As I state this,tommorrow morning I will probably get skunked,but I dont believe so.I will report back with my findings when I get home tommorrow.I know what your talking about with the eyes,as next week I have a little honey hole that I think will start producing numerous eyes.Good Luck

One thing to keep in mind is as the hard water season progresses, light penetration continues to be a factor. With this year not being typical, with abnormal ice conditions (i.e. not as thick), the west side of the lakes are seeing most or a majority of the sun light. Obviously, this is typical. However, I think this is one reason why the west sides of the lakes are producing more fish this season and also why the shallow pattern is holding for so long this year. I was talking to Matt J. the other day and told him I have never seen a shallow pattern like this go for this long anywhere. Very strange year which is just one of many reasons to continue trying new things. More often than not, especially this year, you will be rewarded.

It will be interesting to see now what happens to the shallow water bite with this colder weather moving in. I don't know how much additional ice will be made with highs forecasted in the mid 20's and lows in the teens. Might throw a kink into things, might not. Only one way to tell, that's the fun part!

But, since I'm not able to get out this weekend, there will only be 3 weekends left in the 'eye season, so I'm gonna give that a go on a Hutch lake and Madison. Once that's over though, I'll be back working the pannies in the Mankato & Faribault area venturing out to other lakes to see what I can find, trying to get ideas for the open water season.

Harvey Lee,

West is the best. Shouldn't be saying this cause I'll probably poff basscatcher for telling everyone where I've been getting them (ha,ha) smirk.gif. Just gigging ya basscatcher. Really go west young man and ye shall reap the harvest! No fooling.