• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Long term wax worm storage?

Anyone out there know the best method to keep waxies as plump as the day you bought them? I typically buy the tub but find that they start to lose some pizzaz after a few weeks.

I buy my waxies bulk(by the 1000)and keep them in the fridge.The trick is to keep them cool so they are dorment.Also,dont let the sawdust get to dry.I always pick out the ones that are dead and add a few drops of water to the box.I have keep them for up to 8 weeks.

thx guys, I do keep them cool but have never added any moisture to the sawdust. Just seemed like this year's tub didn't hold up and when the bite is a little tough, a plump lively bait is my preference.

I just seem to remember reading of a pointer that I can't re-call....part of getting older I guess.

• 1 month later...

??? The Why's **ABOUT WAX WORMS, BEE MOTHS, GRUBS,

I THINK WE ARE TALKING about THE SAME THING.......I'M NOT FISHING

MUCH ANYMORE BUT I USE THEM FOR FEEDING MY LEOPARD GECKO REPTILES.

I STARTED RAISING THEM SO I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE AND MORE ABOUT KEEPING THEM. ....HERE'S INFORMATION I HAVE RECEIVED to date .....If trying to extend keeping them have *** TEMP. 50 to 60,(Fridge Cold Spots are no good) Important KEEP DRY, low humidity, thats why they are in WOOD CHIPS, include a piece of potatoe in to supply moisture for WORM,

Storing in Tall container with no lid best but they will climb the wall of China. So either lots of small vent holes in a lid and the container or make a wire mesh top . AT the ADULT WORM STAGE.(plump fishing size).They do not eat any longer. They use up their body fat...that is why they keep getting smaller.......they will turn into the BEE MOTH stage, lay eggs on crumbled up WAX Paper.( hopefully instead of the Bee Keeper's hives).Eggs hatch and will feed on tacky BRAN and HONEY MIXTURE. Will GROW quite fast. And hopefully in time for my Son's Ice Fishing. And of course you guys and gals too. Take care.

Hey Rudy! Welcome to Hot Spot Outdoors / Fishing Minnesota! Glad you could join in. You offerd some good info there about the waxies. Feel free to join in on any of the other topics here as well. Thanks for sharing and have a good one!

• 6 months later...

Has anybody checked into storing waxies in one of those portable 4 bottle wine coolers? (120v or 12vdc, Temperature range: 39°F - 82°F about $80 dollars at most discount stores)

I understand the best temp is some where between 50 and 65 degrees.