• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Auger problem, can I fix it??

rpaulson7

Question

Hey guys, asking for a little help here.

Sunday I was starting my StrikeMaster auger, and the pull cord came right out of the motor. Luckily we had another auger with us.

Anyway, is this a fix I can perform myself? I haven't even looked at it yet to determine if it's do-able. Sort of asking before I try.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Get a hold of strikemaster.They will square you away.Good people.

Talk to strikemaster, or just get the tool box and figure it out. the knot on the end of the rope may have slipped, or the rope could have broke.. try not to pull it out so far when starting your auger! grin.gif

It can be a bear the 1st time you rebuild a recoil unit. Just pat attention to how everything works, and where it goes. The worst is generally rewinding the spring if it pops out on you(often does when you take rope pulley out). It might take a couple times, but most people shouldnt have too much of a problem, and you will know what to do in the future if it happens again... most recoil units are somewhat similar. If you have many pull start items, its a good thing to learn.

Be extremely carefull if /when you pull the recoil and recoil spring out.. it contains a lot of stored energy and may fly out of the recoil when you're disassembling it...

As others have said, it's not a hard job, just kind of tedious and usually requires a try or two before everything goes together right...

marine_man

You should consider taking it to Strikemaster and have them take a look at it.

I actually had the same problem this year...mine happened like 6 times. Brought it in to 3 different shops to get fixed, they fixed it and said everything should be fine each time.

I just came back from Big Lake, Stikemaster said my coil pin(?) was bad and needed to be replaced. They fixed it for me for $10.00

All it cost me was the gas to drive up there...They also did a couple of adjustments on my Carb to make it run better.

I spent about $80 in charges at local shops(Time and Labor) getting mine fixed that didn't work.

Just my $0.02

Given all the good things I've heard about Strikemaster service I'd just take it there too... sounds like they do a top notch job when you bring your auger in, and the price is usually right...

marine_man

Hey, that's exactly what happened to me earlier this season. I also asked around to see if it was worth messing with. Since I don't live too far from Big Lake, I did bring it in. They fixed it in about 15 minutes and all for free . Plus, the guy there said that Tecumsah (sp?) had a problem with a few of the engines in that there is a small burr on the inside that was catching the cord everytime you pull on it. After so many pulls, the cord finally breaks off. So he filed down the burr, put another cord on it. Messed around for a few more minutes so it starts on the first pull, and gave it back with a "No charge, have a nice day!"----I'd bring it in. grin.gif