• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

FM'rs at the Eelpout Festival

I am a fairly new FM'er (look at the number of my posts) and am going to be attending the Eelpout Fest for the first time. I have heard it is a ton o' fun. Is Fishing Minnesota going to be represented there or are there any groups of FM'rs going up. It would be nice to hook up and meet some of you. I am sure most of the hardcore FM'rs will be actually fishing somewhere (not on Leech) as this sounds more like a county fair rather than a fishing contest. grin.gif

I have heard it being compared to Mardi Gras as far as fun and stuff goes. I am sure it will be an experience. If anyone has any input, please post.

D

I'm goin'. First timer too. Not sure what it will be like when I get there, but the original plan was to bring my BIG portable, drive it out in the truck and have a cot in there + heater + cooler grin.gif and an assortment of other things including a couple tip ups. NO hotel rooms I know of available at this point. Was just gonna sleep in the fish house. Now, we'll have to see about the driving out part.

So, I will get there Friday sometime around 5 PM I'd say. Would come sooner, but I will be suffering through a caribbian cruise that gets me home to Chicago the night before.

As for input.....ah, bring some beads?? blush.gif

Can give you my TX if you want to look me up.

Capt

We will be heading up to my cousin's place on Woman lake Thursday night. No plans for a hotel either. We are planning on fishin' both Woman and Leech that weekend. I have a feeling we will be spending a copious amount of time at Leech though. grin.gif

Sounds like they think the ice will be fine. The 10 day forcast doesn't show much above freezing so you may be OK with the truck. I don't know if I would risk it though. If you don't pick up a wheeler by then, I am sure someone will pull you out.

I'd be interested in looking you up. We will stop by for a couple of pops and shoot the ship. shocked.gif

I am sure I will get some crap for this but what is a TX?

You have got me thinking. I have a pretty big portable myself. It is a clam 6800 so maybe I will set up a cot in there and not drive back to Woman (at least one of the nights). See what the festivities are like on the ice at night. I don't know, I really don't know what to expect except a pretty good sized party.

Anyway, shoot me your TX and hopefully I have whatever I need to contact you.

D

This will be my 24th year, staying in longville and hopefully our group of 20 to 30 will ride the sleds out for the day. We set up camp in front of the Chase..Look for Team Kego! Pray for snow and colder temps. BlGoose

FM won't be represented "officially" but we're always represented by fm'ers. The eelpout fest is a fun time with fun events and pouters that are in the mood for fun. I'd only suggest watching the drinking and driving, wouldn't be too much fun spending the night in the poky when you could be 'pouting, have fun, report back how you did.

Here's the ice update as of 2/1/06, "heavy" vehicles will be prohibited, rv's etc, they are suggesting snowmobile and atv's

NOTICE: The access known as Erickson's Landing will be closed due to ice heaves. The access at the City Park and Cochran's are open. The ice thickness as of Wednesday, February 1, 2006 is a consistant 15 inches on the south end of Walker Bay near the City Park, and 12 inches on the North End of Walker Bay.

I am surprised the pout fest is still on. We are not making ice up here and have not added any for 2 weeks. 15 inches is not much in my opinion for the amount of people, vehicles and ice shacks that go out in the bay, especially right out from town. Money must be a big drive!! We are how ever going to get some near zero temps for this week end I hear. The pout fest has changed allot from awhile back. I remember when all top 10 places got an auger plus lots of other stuff. Last year they dropped it to top 5 places and the prizes have been falling off every year. I guess most are there for the party anyway.

Thanks to all who replied and offered advice.

It would really suck for a fun filled weekend to turn into a train wreck. frown.gif

Look forward to meeting up with some of you.

D

A few tips for sleeping in portable fish houses, like we do at the poutfest. 20#s of propane will keep a 15000 btu sunflower heater (Mr Heater) going full blast about 36 - 40 hours. You will want a CO carbon monoxide detector especially in clam products as they frost/ice up pretty quickly if it's COLD outside. Round up a blue tarp big enough to cover three sides and the roof of your portable, this will add about 30 degrees to the inside temp. With the minimal snow cover on the lake bring something to tie your house to so it don't blow away. If you have time, rig up some "fish fans" these are computer fans hooked up to that white vinyl drier duct. Hang them from the ceiling & run them off a deep cycle battery for keeping your fishing hole open all weekend. If you bring an old blanket that is big enough to reach to the floor all the way around your cot sticking the exhaust end of a fish fan under your cot WILL help keep you warm all night. As long as you're toting the battery might as well rig up a light or two. Speaking of lights, a cheap headlamp (miners lamp) is better than a flashlight when it's time to run out and fight huge slippery pout on your tipup although a maglite will subdue them faster once you get them on the dry side of the ice.

Diesel

TX = Telephone numbers in police

Not one but hang with them too much I guess!

Anyway, it is 218 742-4680

Also, to the FMer who posted all the tips on staying warm- THANKS! I'll try to scout up at least some of that stuff - might have to save the fan project for another year. Cool idea on those. Forgot that computer fans are 12 V.

Capt

Swede,

Thanks for the tips. If we decide to stay on the ice, I will use some of your suggestions. Are you going to be up there for the festivities?

Capt,

Thanks for the TX grin.gif I figured it would be something simple. I will give you a shout at some point. I don't know when we will be heading over to leech as we want to see what we can ice on Woman as well.

D

Yes, me & my non-FM buddies will be up poutin', If you are out cruising and see the 2nd coolest green pout flag that will probably be us.

I have heard that they have used the school as a detox. in the past so do not be dumb. Atv. snowmobile, car, its all the same. Be careful. The event is fun just know that the area will be patrolled well and for good reason.

Thanks for the heads up. I am not planning in getting in that kind of shape (although, who plans on it)? confused.gif

D

Me and my buddies will be there for our second year, by far the best weekend, we will be in a 16' light brown sleeper fish house, with the keg outside. Stop by!!!!

Dirtking, myself and a few other guys will be off Templer point (away from the craziness except that which is created by ourselves). A couple of green Otter II portables along with a large dark green permanent house with a couple of Polaris Sportsman 500s We will be off shore in front of the house on the hill. Look us up and we will give you a brew.

Hey everyone,,

Just a heads up...The local law enforcement will be shutting down the Eel Pout Fest area ON THE ICE to vechicle traffic due to ice conditions.. From what I heard on the radio and word of mouth is:

After 12:00 a.m. tonight(Or Tomm. night) vechicle traffic will be shut down and will be re-opened at midnight Sunday night... They are saying that the ice would not be able to handle all the weight from vechicles... As for 4-wheelers and sleds--BRING THEM... If you have any questions I would try to contact the Cass County Sherrif's Dept. or Walker Police...

Just thought I would give you a heads up!!!!!

Beef