• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ok guys. I am pretty new to the North Shore fishing scene. All of this looper talk has got me excited. Now to the part that confuses me. Now from reading the fishing regulation book, catching loopers is a all year round event right? And another question I have on my mind. I am a student at UMD so my checkbook isnt that big. I dont have a fly rod, I just have a "normal" rod. Could I still catch fish in the rivers and streams? And another question, what is the "best" way to catch them, in the rivers or the big lake?

Thanks Guys!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

You'll be fishing the lake now up until the run starts in April. Yes your regular rod will work fishing from shore but once your hooked you'll probably upgrade to something more specialized tot hat type fishing. Till then you can get by but you might want to make yourself a longer set of rod holders to help keep your line out of the surf.

STF wrote a how to for the beginner that you'll find

here

Cheffrey, you getting some bad tips down in mexico? I've been out a couple times over the last week and have not even seen a fish hooked. However, that does not mean that they could not be on fire tonight, looper fishing is weird like that.

Quick, just remember I would never use you as a basis to make any assumptions for how well the fish are biting. You are the only one I know who can catch fish when they are not biting and can't catch them when they are.

I agree with the first part. tongue.gif

when are you getting back from mexico, i have a feeling that ballz draggin wants to get out early this year.

I'm at work as we speak. Was out to the barge last night and brought the Bimini home for some repairs. I can pull her out of the field anytime. Just would take alot of work to get her in the water.

You sandbaggin son of a b**ch grin.gif If you talk to enough people, someone is going to tell you that people are catching loopers BUT THEY'RE LYING! I'll bet we could hook into a few fish if we got out in the ballz draggin though smirk.gif

I'd be willing to lend a helping hand anytime if you need some help getting her ready.

JoshM,

I was out this morning off of the Lester. I had the place to myself. I gave it a good two hours with no action. Most of the time was spent with a bobber and a Looper bug. I did try float a crawler off the bottom for about a half hour.

It's a tough time of year with the colder temps. there was a fare amount of line freeze in a short amount of time.

Good luck,

Tom (BD110)

does anybody think it would be worth giving it a shot down by the french tomorrow, is it even fishable?

quickstrike could you give a report on how you did and if saturday would be worth it or would it be to cold.

got out today and personally i had no luck although deepdiver got a looper and missed a couple more. it was cold and windy but the wind has slowly been calming down so tommorrow should be doable. I'm leaving for the gunflint at 4 am otherwise i would probally be giving it another shot tommorow as there was a lot of fresh blood on the snow from earlier today. good luck!

Didn't even have to wet a line, but I got to christen my new whacking stick, which was sweet grin.gif