• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poached Deer

catmaster1557

There was a big 10 point deer that I enjoyed watching in the evenings just down the road from my place. I watched this deer for several months. Found out now that some ***hole shot it with a .22 cut the horns off and let the deer lay. This was IN TOWN. Somebody sure has some balls. The way it sounds the guy was bragging about it and now his name is getting around fast. I sure hope someone calls him in. I know I will if I get wind of his name. Just had to vent as I watched this deer on many occasions and now he is gone!

was this the deer near the oak hills living center(I think thats what it's called) I will keep my ears open also, but I haven't heard this story yet. Mabey he just shed his horns and now looks like an oversized doe. it could just be a story. lets hope so! it's a shame people have to do things like that. (do you shoot bow at twin rivers?)

I always watched the deer by oak hills, but it was shot more so by design home center up by the airport. Which is only about 3/4 mile away if you cut across the field. I also wish it was only a story but the deer was found with a bullet hole in it..... No I don't shoot at Twin Rivers but I am in there about every other day. browsing around.

I think you're gonna catch some heck for that remark. Poaching a deer is not the way to get meat if you need it.

kcOmyy,

Hunting ethics my man. I dont feel poaching a deer is the way to get meat for your family. I have between 5 - 10 pheasants that come up into my front yard everyday and feed on some corn that got spilt while hauling this winter. If I wanted to I could easily crack open my front door and pick one off with the .22, but I dont because I have hunting ethics. I have a feeling your gonna catch a lot of heck for your post.

I am talking about a low income family. Who needs meat for the winter and didnt get any deer during the hunting season. I am not talking about going out and shoot deer for the hunt of it just for the meat. Also going out in the woods. Not just drive by shooting in a ditch. If I needed meat for the winter and I had to take a deer. I would go out in the woods. Sit in a tree stand and wait for the deer. I would hunt that deer just like in the deer hunting season. I would be ethical in hunting that deer. I am a ethical hunter. I dont need to take a deer in the middle of winter for food thankfully. but if a family needs meat for the winter and takes a deer and I know they used that whole deer for meat. I would look away. I see nothing worng with that. I am sorry for my opion I hope I didnt make anybody mad at me.

If you are a low income family, it would be more practical for you to go help out a farmer in return for some food or work for for 8 hrs and buy some food than it would be to spend an entire day out in the woods at a CHANCE at getting a deer. Low income families aren't going to spend money on gas to get where they are going and spend all their time trying to shoot a deer for meat.

Are you for real??? How can you honestly be a sportsmen and say that. This is what gives hunters the bad rap that Anti-hunting groups use against us. If breaking a law is ok then that low income family can go rob a bank and nothing should happen to them because they are poor. You are way off base my friend. confused.gif

Hey guys, lets get back to the real intention of original post, we have a poacher to catch. I hate to have to delete this thread if it gets out of hand, its a great topic. Thanks all!

Geesh!........apparently the poaching mentality still exists out there after all has been said and done!....truly amazing!....if a poor person feels the need for a few bucks,I assume(using the same poaching for meat mentality)that that person can go down to your local Wal-mart or foodstore and steal some food!(maybe a few pounds of hamburger or a pot roast)....go to a gas stastion and steal a few cans of motor oil......or......go to a Penny's and steal a few pairs of socks!......just because....the person's poor!.......wot! shocked.gif........breaking the law is breaking the law!.period..no excuses!......this isn't the depression days when the game wardens may have done just that(turned the other cheek thing)when the whole country was in an economic down turn....these types of people think the laws are for "thee other guy"..not for me"!...I guess the words that set me off were the "I'm an ethical hunter"...just what the "H" you thinkin there!ethical?......ignorance is alive and well on planet earth!...... smirk.gif.......jonny

I should of clear things up. I mean if the country was in a big depression. I am not saying its ok for poor people to rob banks your steal socks and oil. No thats worng!!! but if you are starving to death and you have no money to get meat. I myself dont have a problem with taking a deer for FOOD ONLY. What are the anmals here for to live off the land. I am talking about living back in the dust bowl days. where people had no money for meat and food and they had to live off the land. but with this day in age we dont need to. If someone pouches a deer for the hunt or for the big buck I will turn the S.O.B in. All on the bottem line all I am trying to say. If the country was in a deep depression and they truthy need meat take a deer. You are just living off the land. Also for only food ONLY FOOD. I will NEVER POUCH A DEER OUT OF SEASON. because I dont need too. If there is a family who needs meat take a deer for food only. I hope I didnt make anybody mad. I hope all of you don't think I pouch deer out of season. I don't!!!

again I am sorry for my opion.

frown.gif

Ok hopefull everything is cleared up here and lets leave it at that. And focus again on the origional post. Thanks.

Thank you cat. I really love being with this FM family. I really do. The last thing I want to is make somebody mad at me.

Later

There is a great book out there that EVERY so-called sportsman should be required to read. The name is Poachers Caught!: Adventures of a Northwoods Game Warden, by Tom Chapin, who used to be a game warden from G. Rapids area. You won't beleive the stories this guy has to tell, some of which even end up with poachers murdering people (Yes, here in MN!!!). It is crazy how some people live. Saturday, I saw the second book as I was browsing through a store. I definitely can't wait to read it.

I don't know what kind of distribution he has. I have seen the book in several G. Rapids stores. Tom Chapin was the most "gung-ho" warden that I have ever seen. His stories are pretty good reading. I have only read his first book, and just by basic descriptions of the areas, I knew exactly where the "bust" was. He even busted me and my cousin when we were 12 years old. We were trapping beavers and didn't know that you could'nt trap next to the house and on their dams. Anyway, he scared the hell out of us and the only thing he did was take our traps....that was enough punishment. Guaranteed didn't trap next to the beaver house again. Anyway, good reading!

I agree!!! I got that book when the family took a vacation to Duluth and I read it cover to cover nonstop. It was honestly the first book i had read in probably five years. Great stories and excellently written. I have no clue where else you could get them i bought it in a gift store in Duluth.

It is in just about any bookstore or outdoors store in

Northern MN. I have also seen it at a few specialty book places in the cities, like that huge bookstore in Mall of America. Or, like somebody else said, buy it at amazon.

By the way, there is also a series of 9 I think books written by a CO from Michigan that are worth checking out. They look very interesting as well. Do a web search and you can find out more (Walker is last name...)

A game warden once made a very good point to me in conversation about poaching deer. He said, "If it were 1925" maybe I could understand taking a deer or two out of season to feed your family. In this day and age there is no excuse. There are dozens of programs out there where any family can get help and nobody has to go hungry. Pride is not an excuse for breaking the law...besides, why risk going to jail, losing your gun, truck etc? Pretty hard to provide for your family when you are behind bars."

YES thats a good point. Thats what I was talking about if the country was in a deep depression or back in 1925. I guess I just never thought about the different programs out there.

• 2 weeks later...

So do you guys feel the same way about Indians? I don't know the exact game rules and regs that Indians have but I know that they can harvest a lot more than a regular sportsman. So my point being, if the only reason for some of your comments is that it is wrong because we are not in a depression and we have many other means of acquiring food, you must feel that it is technically wrong for the Indians to take more than what you yourselves can take per season, because we all have alternatives for acquiring meat. Is that so, and if not why? (This is not meant to offend anyone, I am serious)

I don't really see how that relates at all since as long as they are hunting within their allowed seasons and bag limits, then this whole discussion doesn't apply. If a Native American takes game outside of what the tribal/reservation law allows, they are just like any other poacher.

Sorry guys, this thread is going in the wrong direction and is going downhill fast. It is now locked!