• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Didn't get a permit? - May be a "good" thing

HateHumminbird

So you didn't get a MN tag this year. The good news is that your preference level just went up for next year, giving you the opportunity to try and draw for an early season the next go 'round.

After talking to quite a few friends and family that were unsuccessful in drawing a MN tag this year, I'm surprised at all the despair and heartache out there! All is not lost!!! There are still quite a few ways to get your turkey hunting fix this spring:

1. Get a surplus tag. Have several options in order should the area you try to get fill up.

2. Use a bow. What a great opportunity to try and kill one with a bow. You can get an over the counter tag for the last two weeks of the season, in any permit area with 50 permits or more available.

3. Travel out-of-state. Closest over the counter tags are Missouri, South Dakota (reservation lands, private, and public opportunities abound), and Kansas. If willing to travel a bit further, there's quite a few other states that have non-resident over the counter tags available.

So, use it as an excuse to try something new or get out of town. Good luck breaking this news to your significant other!

Joel

Well Joel, I didn't get picked this year.

I figured as much since my brother and dad wanted to sign up as a party again and we got picked last year for a hunt. I gained a preference point for next year.....which is a good thing!!

I'm looking at picking up a surplus tag and/or going bow hunting for the 1st time for turkey.

Good Luck to the rest of you!!

I didn't get picked either, but I got a preference point towards an earlier draw next year. I'm not losing any sleep over it. In some ways it will be kind of relaxing to not have to scout this year, unless I want to anyway, & I'll appreciate the hunt more when I do get drawn again.

What is your preference point good for next year? Any season in the same permit area or does it help you no matter what area you apply for, or how does that work exactly? I've gotten drawn every other time I applied, so never experienced that.

Nope I didn't get drawn either. With my son taking a new position which mean he has to work Saturday's it's not such a bad thing as we enjoy hunting together.

I might still try for a surplus tag but it won't be the same. I remember him getting his first turkey and everyone since, man it sure was great.

I'm very excited about trying to get one with a bow.

I'm also interested in looking at So. Dak. This only my second year turkey hunting so I don't know if an out-of-state trip is for me, but who knows. Maybe if I can find something int he eastern part of the state. I have a place to stay right near LQP.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

I'm very excited about trying to get one with a bow.

I'm also interested in looking at So. Dak. This only my second year turkey hunting so I don't know if an out-of-state trip is for me, but who knows. Maybe if I can find something int he eastern part of the state. I have a place to stay right near LQP.

The deadline for the SD Prairie regions as well as several of the reservation hunts are approaching quickly. If you're looking at that as an option now is the time to start checking into it.

I didn't get drawn, but I didn't think I would. I put in for an early season with the intent on going Archery only if I didn't get drawn and taking the preference point. I really can't wait. Our group of 4 will all be going archery so that will be very fun. I was drawn for the A season last year. Hopefully next year again.

Borch brings up a good point! I mis-spoke when talking about the SD over the counter permits.

The SD hunts are now not over the counter, unless you go archery in the prairie units.

Powerstroke - I think it's the Traverse/Wahpeton Souix reservation that has a Merriams hunt just west of LQP. Don't know exactly when their deadline is, but you can get a hold of them through the SD Game and Parks Commission Website --> turkey page.

Good luck!

Joel

Thanks for the tip Joel. My gramma lives on Lake Traverse so that would be very convenient.

I'll look into that.