• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2000 Tahoe questions

H20fowlr

Question

I have some issues with my Tahoe. Just wonder besides the "should've bought a Ford/Dodge" comments if any one has some insight for me.

1)my Tow/haul button no longer works for my transmission. I can't find a fuse for it that is blown

2) My rear glass on the back hatch won't open. Cant find a fuse for the electronic release. It is unlocked and when I push in the button nothing happens.

3)Anyone else have to replace the steering box at 50K or less?

12 answers to this question

Was the gear box leaking?

Is it a four wheel drive?

I'll check through some wiring diagrams tommorow and get back to you on questions 1 & 2

About your rear glass, check for some contacts back there. My '98 Tahoe rear power door locks would not work, and I found some corrosion at a contact point back there.

I sanded them clean, and now it works great.

Another thing...my key would not work in any door. I think this is from always using the remote lock. The key never got used, and I think they get gunked up. A little lube and I got them working again.

Hope that helps.

What was/is the problem with the steering gear? Its not unheard of but its fairly rare to have one fail that early. Depending on the year of your Tahoe it may be the variable effort steering sensor has failed. When they go bad they cause some real strange symptoms while driving.

In regards to the rear hatch/glass, do you mean the manual button won't open it or the electric, or both?.

I've found the tow/haul wires broken in the column on a couple vehicles where the tilt column flexes. Both owners told me they frequently use the tilt wheel so they could possibly be broken on yours. They are not too hard to get at. The shroud on the mid section of the column is a two piece and can be taken off fairly easy and the wires are visible there. If thats the problem they can be repaired with solder and heat shrink.

We've replaced a few shift control levers because the tow haul button was in-op. Also, if there is a clunk in the steering you might want to buy a lube kit for the intermediate steering shaft.

The rear hatch release is on the same fuse as the Cigarette lighter fuse. It should be in the instrament panel fuse block fuse number 13, 20 amp fuse.

Macgyver is on top of his stuff and I would recommend his advise of pulling the the cowls off the steering column to check for broken wires. This is a simple task and should only take a few minutes to check.

The steering box was replaced because at speed I had no power steering on left hand sweeping corners. Actually I didn't and then half way through the corner it kicked in and I usually had to quickly correct and it really unsettled the vehicle.(not to mention any passengers)

Low speed or sitting still no problem. Was worse when it was cold, but at the end it was pretty consistant. They replaced the Steering box and have had no issues. Reminds me of the old Chevy "Morning Sickness", except this was only turning left not both ways.

Rear Glass,

I have tried unlocking the rear glass with keyless and key. I have moved the action both ways. When I press the button on the hatch to open it does nothing.

I'll check the tow haul wires in the steering column.

BTW I am pretty mechanical and very electrical. I just haven't had alot of time to look at it and I know guys like that work on these things everday that maybe can give me the highest probabilities to start with.

***A WORD OF CAUTION***

If you dig into the wiring in the steering column of your truck, keep in mind that the airbag wiring is in there. These things are VERY dangerous if detonated. The wires are yellow, so don't mess with ANY yellow wires. The best thing you can do is disconnect your battery and WAIT for 10 minutes. There is a capacitor that is designed to hold power for 10 seconds in the event of power loss during an accident to ensure bag deployment. Realistically, any time you fool with wiring in these newer vehicles you should disconnect the power unless you have a manual telling you otherwise. The stuff is only going to get even more critical with repairs of wiring with what is called CAN, which is an acronym for controlled area network wiring, and consists of very small gage wires in twisted pairs that cancel out interference from each other. There is a very specific guideline on the repair of this type of wiring. It is already in place in some vehicles. If it sounds complicated, it is.

Good advice from John about the air bag wiring! Sometimes when you work on this stuff daily you forget to state the obvious.

Quote:

The steering box was replaced because at speed I had no power steering on left hand sweeping corners. Actually I didn't and then half way through the corner it kicked in and I usually had to quickly correct and it really unsettled the vehicle.(not to mention any passengers)

Low speed or sitting still no problem. Was worse when it was cold, but at the end it was pretty consistant.

This sounds exactly like the symptoms for the variable effort steering sensor. I wonder if they replaced that at the same time.

Quote:

The stuff is only going to get even more critical with repairs of wiring with what is called CAN, which is an acronym for controlled area network wiring, and consists of very small gage wires in twisted pairs that cancel out interference from each other

Yeah... and how about the multi-plex junk that will drive you nuts! confused.gif

I don't know much about the multiplex stuff. I am just a humble MnDot mechanic and really don't get much updates, or even work on the passenger vehicles that often. We used to get A/C Delco training, which is where I have learned a lot about the current electrical technical info, but Delco stopped providing that training frown.gif. Sounds like you know your stuff- are you with a dealer or are you independant? Not to veer away from the original post.......

So far I have the back hatch fixed. Pulled of all the hatch plastic off during lunch and was able to free it up. The plastic part of the lock that closes on the loop on the hatch has a groove on it and became stuck to the loop. I sanded the plastic smooth and lubed it and it works great.

I will tackle the steering column for the Tow/haul wires. Thanks for the warning. I have experience with airbags as I replaced the evaporator coil on my Grand Cherokee a few years back and had to remove the dash.

I'll let you know what i find. Won't be until after the 5th as I have a trip planned