• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This isn't a fishing question exactly, but I know hunters and fishermen know a good place to eat when they find one so I'm hoping to get some input. I'll be up in the Grand Rapids area on Saturday to watch my cousin play basketball in Deer River and I would like to know where the Mrs. and I could get some good grub. We do like finding new bar-type places, you know, good brew, good burger/chicken/pizza, friendly people, etc., but the responses don't have to be limited to just that. We like to find other places besides the fast food joints or what we already have down here in St. Cloud (Perkin's, Applebee's). Thanks in advance and good luck out on the ice! grin.gif

deer river try the new outpost pretty decent GR the forest lake is good the 4th street station the sawmill innall great palces to eat and drink

Jason

I'm a big fan of Sammy's Pizza in GR (and all of their locations). I am a friend of the family, but think that their pizza is the best anywhere.

bowling ally in deer river just north of town has great pizza. sawmill inn in grand rapids has the best steaks.

Your best options reside in Grand Rapids. My recommendation for what you are looking for is Forest Lake (located on the main drag of Hwy 2). 4th Street Station, which is across the street for Forest Lake, would be my second pick.

Recommendation from your cousin's cousin: definitely stop at Forest Lake! Head to the upstairs/bar area. Popcorn, good food & waffle fries, & beer of course. It's been a couple of years since I've been there, but it has always been one of my favorite stops. Plus the atmosphere is great--lots of cool taxidermy!

P.S. Go Bears!

Sounds good! grin.gif

How fishing on the Big Pond?

In Deer River, either try the Outpost on the west side of town. Or head up Highway 6 a couple miles and hit the Blueberry Bowl, the best pizza in Itasca County, in my opinion. In G.R. I'd have to say the Forest Lake, on the west side of town.

Brian

All of the above are excellant recomendations. Just for another option, I would add the Gosh Dam Place. It's about 12 mi. north of D.R. on 46.Good food and you may well run in to fishermen coming off Winni.

Forest Lake in Grand Rapids is the best place to eat, great food, even better people. At the bar there are daily specials and a burger/fries etc. menue. Additionally there is a regular dining room plus the downstairs steak-house. Never ate at 4th street, but have had a drink or 3,they have live bands from time to time. The Blueberry Bowl, just north of Deer River has EXCELLENT pizza as mentioned. If you're in Grand Rapids and you have a yen for chinese food there is a great place over by the Rainbow Inn (head out toward Hibbing) Good Luck

it turns on one day and the next you have to work like a dog to get them

Jason

Unfortunately, we're stuck here in the concrete jungle while everyone else is fishing on LOW. I haven't heard any reports yet from anyone, so I'm still waiting to see if they've found any 'eyes. Hopefully we'll make the trip sometime in March. Looks like you'll have to go out to eat several times this weekend, just to try out all of the hot spots that were suggested! Have fun!

I vote for Gosh Dam Place. We are there three nights a week and rarely eat anywhere else. The owners are good people and run a good operation. The waitresses are wonderful and the bartender (Ben) can't be beat.

Thanks to everyone! We stopped at the Outpost in D.R. for a beverage when we got into town. Very nice place. Bartender chatted with us even though some of the regulars were there, too.---she was very friendly. Definitely will go back. On the menu we noticed you could bring in your catch and they will cook it up for you. That's kind of cool. grin.gif

After the game we ate at Forest Lake. Perfect. Just what we like.

We'll try the 4th Street Station next time we're in town.

Thanks to everyone's recommendations!