• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading out this weekend. Anyone been out lately? I havent been able to find the crappies this year any hints. I have tried all of my crappie spots from previous years and zippo notta. All I can get is perch,sunies and small walleyes.I used to hammer the slab craps out there now I cant seem to locate them but it is a strange year. Has anyone fished the large group off the west side of the island. I have never fished there but I notice thats where the big group is this year and previous years its been on the south side of the island where I usually fish. I usually go there,klapps, tuxedo or half way between the island and klapps.

I was out a couple weeks ago and hit a couple crappies mixed with walleyes in 19 FOW. They were decent, and believe it or not, they hit 3 to 4 inch shiners fished off the bottom mid day! I also DID NOT get any perch where I was at, which I found very interesting. I won't give away where I was at, but I can tell you it was not any where you mentioned. I tried regular crappie minnows and gulp to try and save my shiners, but they wanted something to really fill em' up and wouldn't even nibble the little things. Maybe try some big old fatheads. Jig or hook didn't matter. Just meat.

Last year I fished west of the island. I caught crappies but the action was not fast. I moved around a lot to catch fish. Sometimes a school would swim through. I haven't made it up this year as I am a little leary of driving out there. Has the water cleared up yet? Last year after the water cleared up more the bite turned to more of an evening bite for me.

We were on Pokegama from about 10:00 this morning, until 5:30 this evening. For 3 guys, we caught about 25 Crappies and only 4 of them were "Keepers". We caught about 75 sunnies with 3 keepers, that was it!

Personally, I walked about 372 miles, hole to hole, deep to shallow and back again...most of the activity came at about 12 feet. Speaking of feet, mine feel like they were run through a hammer mill!

We seen alot of people moving around and alot of vehicles leaving just before dark. The wind was nasty all day and all three of us are big time wind burnt. I'm sure that tomorrow, my hands will feel like I have baseball gloves on, and the other two fellas that work with computers and cash registers and writing up orders and stuff?...Hee, hee , hee! grin.gif

There is one consulation in all of this...we were thinking of trying Mille Lacs today and opted for Pokegama! Whew!

12 feet of water huh. So were you on the south side of the island? I am gonna head up either tomorrow after noon or all day saturday. You gonna be up again. Thats hard to believe, lots of crappies and just a few keepers. I dont think I ever remember catching a crappie under 10 on Pokegama in the past and ususally the sunnies are hand size at least.

Well beter than reports I have seen here lately. These warm sunny days seem to really turn the fish on up there, Well thats the way its been in the past.

I might be up there today in the afternoon (friday). Actually a 95% chance. I will be out in my '99 Dodge Ram ext. cab, twilight blue.

Hi Grebe, up in my neck of the woods eh?Don't worry about your not going to Mille Lacs because I was there drilling holes and putting on miles all for 1 perch and 1 walleye and a couple little perch.And yes it was "breezy"!

Ross...I'll tell ya, I don't know if I have ever worked so hard at "Not workin!" grin.gif Just loading the truck with all the crap that 3 guys "need" to go ice fishing, is a job in itself!

I believe that if all of us put in the amount of effort at work, that we do when we go ice fishing, none of us would have big bellies and we would probably all have big bank accounts! grin.gif

JL...Yeah, big old Mille lacs doesn't give em up all the time, but I still like fishing that lake and if we thought we would have been able to do anything in that wind, thats where we would have been, but we figured it was just to strong and steady and it seemed to get worse toward evening?

It was nice on Wed., Thur. when my two sons and I were finally able to get together, that dam wind comes up! Now today it was super nice out...can we pick a day, or what?

The Grebe is correct. I was there with him yesterday. And I will tell you what... So glad we did not go to Mille Lacs. That wind, even on Pokegama was relentless. I like Mille Lacs, but not that windy!!! I was surprised by the amount of smaller crappies and sunnies we caught. confused.gif I think I caught the smallest of each species I have ever seen!!! We had a blast though. Long day, we'll try that lake again before ice out.

Was on Pokegama today. Managed many small perch but 12 nice keepers and 3 nice crappies all about 11-12 inchers, and 2 real nice sunnies. All on waxies in 14 ft of water with a green and glow demon jig. Not as good of report as I had hoped for 7 hours of fishing but fairly steady. Also had a couple tip ups one nothing was there the other had a nice one on and got the line tangled in the tip up while fighting it and it took a dive and straightened the hook. Oh well save her for next time.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Caden132321
      Wasn’t quite sure how this week would turn out because of all the reviews but have had a blast and caught some awesome fish. Very weedy in most of the lake canoe out to less weedy area and fished around the weeds caught multiple 4  even heavier bass in a row definitely recommend it
    • MarkB
      Del, I want to clarify my post regarding the Vermilion Club pizza. First of all, the latest online review for the Vermilion Club was July 4th, 2021. I ate there twice after that review. Both times our group ate pizza and both times the pizza was excellent. I've eaten Poor Gary's pizza for a very long time both when we visited for many years, when we lived on Birch Point, and every time we're there since we left. I could tell a Vermilion Club pizza with a blindfold on. It has a very distinct taste and smell. We absolutely love it. BUT, this time it was different. I even asked our waitress if Poor Gary's pizza had been replaced by new owners. None of our group thought the pizza was even close to what it had been. Now, I'm not knocken the Vermilion Club. I ate there way back in the late 50's when George and Dorothy Tuma owned it. They have always served great food and I have no reason to doubt that their appetizers, sandwiches, etc. are still great. Just understand that pizza and other food is made in 2 different kitchens. I don't know what changed with the pizza kitchen since last September when we were there before this latest trip but something did. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and eat there again. But next time, it'll be on wings night.
    • Mike89
      only you smurf!!!  🤣😎
    • smurfy
      😊mom taught me at an early age not to pee on the furniture!!😉
    • Pat McGraw
      Almost every time I go to the VC I comment on how well they do. Consistently good food and good service. 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Resorts are adapting to high water conditions.  Despite lots of water, the vast majority of resorts are open, charter boats are running, and summer fishing is in full swing. Most boat ramps are open including Wheeler's Point and others.  Call ahead to your favorite resort or check their Facebook page for specifics. Lots of walleyes being caught in many different locations.  Some fish are in 4-15 feet on sand capitalizing on shiner and minnow spawning.  Others are on shallow rocks eating crayfish.  Others are deeper, 25 - 33', feeding on schools of minnows and various critters coming out of the mud.     Some anglers are still jigging, but drifting with spinners with a crawler or minnow has been super effective this week.  Both methods are working.  Gold, glow, and pink have been good colors this week for jigs and spinners. Trolling crankbaits and covering water has been very effective this past week.  Shiny gold and purple are a couple of good colors.  In addition to walleyes and saugers, pike, smallmouth bass and even an occasional muskie are being caught.   Anglers are allowed a combined limit of 6 walleyes and saugers on the MN side of LOW.  Up to 4 can be walleyes.  All walleyes between 19.5 - 28.0" must be released.  One allowed over 28" per day.   On the Rainy River...   The river still has a lot of current.  Anglers keying in on current breaks as a rule.   A mixed bag in the river right now includes walleyes, saugers, smallmouth bass, and pike.  Sturgeon season reopens July 1st.   Current breaks off of the main channel for walleyes and saugers.  Smallmouth bass near rocky areas, feeder streams and bridge embankments.   Bays have been good for pike.  Lots of big pike and even good walleye reports in bays and feeder rivers to the Rainy River.  Lots of shiners in the river. Up at the NW Angle...  Fishing continues to be very good up at the Angle.  Anglers are fishing both the U.S. side and Ontario side of the lake with good success. Flag Island flats and areas around Garden Island were just a couple of areas good this week.  Lots of walleyes with some mixed in pike.  Fish being caught jigging, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.   A jig and minnow and pulling crawler harnesses have been good fishing deeper structure as well.  Neck down areas, rocky points and cabbage weeds all holding fish.  There are typically some fish shallow near shore morning and evening with good numbers being caught. A mixed bag for most anglers with walleyes, saugers, pike, smallmouth bass, crappies and jumbo perch. Excellent muskie fishing with numbers of fish being caught. Various ways to travel to the Angle. 1.  Drive through Canada to the Angle  (must be vaccinated, no covid test required) 2.  LOW Passenger Service (charter boat service across the lake avoiding customs)  3.  Lake Country Air.(fly from various Midwest locations to LOW and NW Angle) 4.  Take your own boat.  (Safety first, this is a 40 mile ride over big water)  
    • Wanderer
      Nope, not there anymore.  Just don’t get up there enough anymore.  Sadly.   Taxes are cheap enough to not really worry about and still have it.     smurf does the pissin’.  I wouldn’t do a thing like that to good furniture. 😉
    • Mike89
      just off to the west is a State park and a lake access is in there too..    it's called Mille Lacs Kathio State Park
    • smurfy
      🤣 so you drove threw Remer then? home of sasquatch!!!!!!!!🤗👌
    • leech~~
      Funny, my wife and I drove by Big Rice on our way to Grand Rapids. I pointed to the launch and said, somewhere there's an old rotting couch in there, two clowns 🤡🤡 on the forum keep joking each other about pissing on. She said gross! Cuz that's what guys talk about on forums! 😆😅🤣

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.