• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading out this weekend. Anyone been out lately? I havent been able to find the crappies this year any hints. I have tried all of my crappie spots from previous years and zippo notta. All I can get is perch,sunies and small walleyes.I used to hammer the slab craps out there now I cant seem to locate them but it is a strange year. Has anyone fished the large group off the west side of the island. I have never fished there but I notice thats where the big group is this year and previous years its been on the south side of the island where I usually fish. I usually go there,klapps, tuxedo or half way between the island and klapps.

I was out a couple weeks ago and hit a couple crappies mixed with walleyes in 19 FOW. They were decent, and believe it or not, they hit 3 to 4 inch shiners fished off the bottom mid day! I also DID NOT get any perch where I was at, which I found very interesting. I won't give away where I was at, but I can tell you it was not any where you mentioned. I tried regular crappie minnows and gulp to try and save my shiners, but they wanted something to really fill em' up and wouldn't even nibble the little things. Maybe try some big old fatheads. Jig or hook didn't matter. Just meat.

Last year I fished west of the island. I caught crappies but the action was not fast. I moved around a lot to catch fish. Sometimes a school would swim through. I haven't made it up this year as I am a little leary of driving out there. Has the water cleared up yet? Last year after the water cleared up more the bite turned to more of an evening bite for me.

We were on Pokegama from about 10:00 this morning, until 5:30 this evening. For 3 guys, we caught about 25 Crappies and only 4 of them were "Keepers". We caught about 75 sunnies with 3 keepers, that was it!

Personally, I walked about 372 miles, hole to hole, deep to shallow and back again...most of the activity came at about 12 feet. Speaking of feet, mine feel like they were run through a hammer mill!

We seen alot of people moving around and alot of vehicles leaving just before dark. The wind was nasty all day and all three of us are big time wind burnt. I'm sure that tomorrow, my hands will feel like I have baseball gloves on, and the other two fellas that work with computers and cash registers and writing up orders and stuff?...Hee, hee , hee! grin.gif

There is one consulation in all of this...we were thinking of trying Mille Lacs today and opted for Pokegama! Whew!

12 feet of water huh. So were you on the south side of the island? I am gonna head up either tomorrow after noon or all day saturday. You gonna be up again. Thats hard to believe, lots of crappies and just a few keepers. I dont think I ever remember catching a crappie under 10 on Pokegama in the past and ususally the sunnies are hand size at least.

Well beter than reports I have seen here lately. These warm sunny days seem to really turn the fish on up there, Well thats the way its been in the past.

I might be up there today in the afternoon (friday). Actually a 95% chance. I will be out in my '99 Dodge Ram ext. cab, twilight blue.

Hi Grebe, up in my neck of the woods eh?Don't worry about your not going to Mille Lacs because I was there drilling holes and putting on miles all for 1 perch and 1 walleye and a couple little perch.And yes it was "breezy"!

Ross...I'll tell ya, I don't know if I have ever worked so hard at "Not workin!" grin.gif Just loading the truck with all the crap that 3 guys "need" to go ice fishing, is a job in itself!

I believe that if all of us put in the amount of effort at work, that we do when we go ice fishing, none of us would have big bellies and we would probably all have big bank accounts! grin.gif

JL...Yeah, big old Mille lacs doesn't give em up all the time, but I still like fishing that lake and if we thought we would have been able to do anything in that wind, thats where we would have been, but we figured it was just to strong and steady and it seemed to get worse toward evening?

It was nice on Wed., Thur. when my two sons and I were finally able to get together, that dam wind comes up! Now today it was super nice out...can we pick a day, or what?

The Grebe is correct. I was there with him yesterday. And I will tell you what... So glad we did not go to Mille Lacs. That wind, even on Pokegama was relentless. I like Mille Lacs, but not that windy!!! I was surprised by the amount of smaller crappies and sunnies we caught. confused.gif I think I caught the smallest of each species I have ever seen!!! We had a blast though. Long day, we'll try that lake again before ice out.

Was on Pokegama today. Managed many small perch but 12 nice keepers and 3 nice crappies all about 11-12 inchers, and 2 real nice sunnies. All on waxies in 14 ft of water with a green and glow demon jig. Not as good of report as I had hoped for 7 hours of fishing but fairly steady. Also had a couple tip ups one nothing was there the other had a nice one on and got the line tangled in the tip up while fighting it and it took a dive and straightened the hook. Oh well save her for next time.