• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking for a good crappie taxidermist

Just got back from Upper Red Lake and I caught a slab that I am going to put on the wall. Anyone know of a good taxidermist in the area. Thanks for the info in advance.

Taxidermy Unlimited down in Burnsville does a fantastic job.

Alan Gaston is the guys name there. How big was your slab?

Does anybody know who will do good, CHEAPER work on a pair of slabs...also looking to put a couple of freeze dried minnows in the mount as well so if he was a master at the art of freeze drying, that would be a plus...

2 15" mutants...

just under 2 lbs, also just shy of 15". Probably not huge, but I am sure it is the biggest one I will ever catch.

My grandpa had his red lake crappie done by scott miller in prescott it looks awesome. Also have devils lake perch and a huge gill from wisconsin done by him. All top notch

Minnesota valley wildlife cons. is in burnsville on ewing and 42. The guys there work at taxidermy unlimited. They a white bass for and also my deer. They have done replicas that really look good.

If your looking for cheap, crap is what you get. I would rather have someone that does this for a live vs. the guy who does it as a hobby or in his spare time. You will know the differnce after seeing the work.

I had a 3lb plus crappie but t. unlimited wanted over $300.00 and was not going to some fly by nite outfit.

I agree with Oly on Scott Miller in Prescott. He's done several fish for me and has done an excellent job. You get what you pay for.

Yukon Don

Check out Jim's Lakeland Taxidermy. Hes located in St.Boni on hwy 7. He did a great job on my sunfish mounts. WEST

I second Jim. I've posted about his work before that he has done for me and friends of mine. He's getting a little on the spendy side and you have to wait awhile for your mount, but like people have said before, you get what you pay for and he's busy for a reason.

I have had a walleye and a largemouth bass done at North Country Taxidermy in Coon Rapids, and he did a great job on both. He has a big showroom, and had many mounts to look at, so you know what kind of work he does. Prices were reasonable when I had my two fish done there.

Here's a couple crappie mounts done by a relative of mine. He's good.

Might give you some ideas for a type of mount. Can't really do too much with a single crappie.

15 3/4" Upper Red Lake Crappie with a nice fat bull gill.

crappiegill8ad.jpg

14 3/4" Upper Red Lake Crappie. I'm going to try and add another 3 or 4 fish to this one this winter.

crappie1id.jpg

Enjoy!

Thanks guys for all the info. I know you get what you pay for. I tried a hobby taxidermist on a couple of ducks, was not happy at all. Paid top dollar for a couple of buffleheads and a snow goose and couldn't be more pleased. But that guy doesn't do it anymore.

Hope my comment isn't too late! I had two 14 inchers mounted by FiberTech. I got graphites and I am very happy with them, also they only took about 4-6 weeks to complete and show up at my door. Pictures and measurements were all they needed. Of course the downfall is they don't look identical to the fish I caught, but I was just looking for a replica, so I could eat my fish. They cost me about 11 dollars per inch and I had them put on driftwood. If you go either route, it might make sense to buy the wallboard or driftwood on your own. www.fibertech.com

Just got a crappie back from North Country Taxidermy and it looks great. Couldn't be happier. It was $160 for everything.

Chris Wallace (no not me) owner of Wings and Things in East Bethel does awesome work. 105 bucks for panfish. He has done all of our mounts, crappies, eyes, northerns, deer, duck, pheasants, turkeys. Awesome work.

Thanks for all the info guys. I went today and checked out Minnesota Valley. I really like what I saw and left the crappie with them. Getting her back in 6 to 8 months. It's like waiting for christmas when your a kid.

I have a 16 inch slab I just got. and was wondering a ballpark price for a graphite mount. I know you get what you pay for, but I wanna know some prices. I'm in Hugo, so north metro would be best. By the way the fish is from the north metro also!

Sorry about my previous note, I had the wrong URL. It should be www.fibertechproductions.com the guy there does a good job and guarantees his work. If you don't like it, he'll fix it. He charged about $350 for the two 14inchers I had done and mounted on a piece of driftwood. I also had it UPS'd to my front door. If I remember correctly it took about 4-6 weeks to get it after I called with my order.

just my two cents i have ( and so has my dad) always used radde taxidermy out of waconia, top notch work as well. he has been doing it since i was a little kid. nice guy to work with as well. ....... paul