• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am thinking about moving the house, but I thought I would get some feedback first.

Do bigger 'Eyes hang out with little 'Eyes????

My guess is no.

I keep catching little ones and I hope that bigger ones will be there too. Sometimes the action is really good, but the fish are always 9-12 inches.

Is this just a school of small fish? Do they hang out like that?

What do you guys think? confused.gif

When taking some of my Natural Resources classes they did talk that the fish will usually school with fish their own size/year class. I wouldn't move too far depending on what your fishing...more then likely you are on something. I would try maybe a bigger lure or dropping a camera down and seeing what might come through. You might be only catching the "small" ones but that might be because they are more active then the bigger ones. A bigger jig may turn off the little ones but might be the key for bigger ones.

Good Luck

Code-Man

Code man --

You might be right and I have used the camera but I have an older one that is not good at dark (prime-time).

I just don't know --

Anyone else have other thoughts?

I wouldn't move if you are catching fish. I would be happy to catch 9-12 inchers. Better than 3 inch perch.

We are in the same boat in the house on pelican. Wer'e gonna try branching out in the portable off into deeper water and see which way to go. The ice is pretty good and there is hardly any snow out on the center of the lake so moving is not hard to do. C.O. was out on Sun. nt. and made some money off of extra lines. $122.00 each x 3 for sure that I heard. OUCH!!!!!

Yeah, I hear ya. I am not trying to whine, but sometimes you play -- the grass is greener on the other side of the fence game. Or the fish are bigger on the other side of the lake game.

I am fishing in deeper water than most so I think this spot may get better as the year goes on. cool.gif

Biff --

That is tough to get dinged for extra lines. I have some friends that don't think that law is right. They think having extra lines are okay as long as you don't take extra fish. That is what is called a slippery slope.

I have been lucky/smart enough not to get fined for anything, yet.

I just about got fined one year when I was putting my boat in the water on Silver lake just to run the motor on the trailer. A DNR guy came up and said, "You are lucky you didn't have to put that motor in the water."

I asked him how much the fine would be and he said --

"A lot."

Quote:

A DNR guy came up and said, "You are lucky you didn't have to put that motor in the water."

What is that supposed to mean?? Doesn't the motor usually go into the water?

I am assuming that the license on the boat was expired which would make it illegal to float on the lake. Did I guess right? grin.gif

Quote:

You might be right and I have used the camera but I have an older one that is not good at dark (prime-time).

Has anyone used one of the new underwater cameras at dusk/dawn when there is low light or have used one at night? The one that I use is worthless at night and fades out not long after the sun goes down.

Do I need to have a better camera?

I believe that once a walleye hits a certain size (28"+) they no longer need a school. The reason fish school up is for protection, and a walleye of that size wouldn't need the protection of the school anymore. I also believe that once a Walleye reaches the magic 30" range it behaves more like a pike. Just my opinion though.

I too have friends that like to fish with too many, I think sometimes it is out of boredom. Alot fo these guys fish many many days due to being laid off. I still think the extra line permit thing would be great!! I don't go out too often in the portables and hard charge it across the lake all day and drill five hundred holes to find fish so it would be nice to cover more ground w/tip-ups while kickin back on the easy chair listening to the tunes sometimes. I'll save the covering ground and find-em thing for the boat.

I would have to say that moving into the deeper water in Pelican is definitely the way to go. I have had good luck in 20 ft of water this winter in Pelican. The walleyes have been averaging 15 and 16 inches for me this year in 20 ft of water. It seems like 20 ft is the magic number - I have tried 15 ft and then all the way to 25 and 30 ft, but 20 ft seems like the ticket (at least for me anyways smile.gif) The secret has been that the 20 ft areas in Pelican are usually at the base of a huge plateau drop off - I've stuck the camera down there many times to see that the walleyes love to hang out right at the base of those steep Pelican dropoffs... That's my 2 cents anyways...

Well, I forgot to say that my boat was expired and if it hit the water without the sticker I would get fined.

Cameras are not all made equal.

The Marcum is nice by has had many problems and is out of stock in most places. The AquaView with the four cameras in one looks like the ticket. I hop to get that one next year or the Marcum. The New cameras not only work at dark, the work at 9 p.m. grin.gif

Bison 9 --

You are da man.

I fish Pelican hard all year except the winter. I don't know why, but I think it may be a little further and that makes some type of difference.

I can't wait till spring, summer and fall and hit Pelican again.

Any problem with ice heaves? That is another reason I stay off of that lake.

So im sure all cameras will work at night if you are pointing them around by hand in a well lit room-- but do some underwater cameras, while 20 ft down in the water or so at night still project much of an image????

The aquaveiw that I have now fades out early, rendering it useless for half of the day. All I want is a camera that will put in a full shift. If anyone knows if the new cameras will do this-- please fill me (and others) in.

Thanks

The new expensive Marcum adn aquaview will do this because I saw it with my own eyes. 26 feet of water on big C at 9p.m.

It will cost a lot but it will be worth it.

Yeah, it is, but it is so good at night with the light on. The light doesn't seem to hurt the fish. You can turn it off and on in front of their face and they don't react at all. Some say it attracts fish but it doesn't scare them.

I had an underwater posts earlier this season so check posts under my name.

Are you getting one this season?

Dahitman, I am curious. Do you hold a job or just fish and sit on the computer replying to everyones questions??? And If you do where do you work and how does someone get a job there. All pun intended. I and many other followers would love to complain about catching LITTLE eyes. Come on master tell us (Contact US Regarding This Word) some secrets.

E-Hole --

Wow such built-up anger and hostility. Have you thought about seeking help for that? Just kidding.

No, I talk to a lot of people on my job and have gotten to know a lot of people on the site. We talk quite a bit. I hear a lot of local information and I like to pass it on. The other reason I post so much is the fact that we need to do something to keep the site moving and fresh.

I am in front of my computer a lot during the day so I check the site pretty often. I like to talk hunting and fishing so I throw in my two cents.

wink.gif

Good point HM

I stop in here somtimes several times a day. For me to catch up whith whats goin on, or reading how you guys are doin is kind of like having a conversation with a freind (mostly freinds I don't know yet!) In my case it acts as a breif escape, a temporary stress reliever.

I don't go out for a smoke, I stop in here. wink.gif

Dahitman, keep posting, I enjoy reading the messages you post - it does keep this site frersh and moving...

As for ice heaves on Pelican, I haven't come across any of those yet, but I am fairly new to Pelican yet - The ol' Big Water up in Devils Lake is my fortay, but but one of my older aquaintences swears by Pelican. I tried it in October and have basically been fishing in the same spot since then - it is a walleye producer that I just basically found off the map and have been fishing ever since...

Any luck from the move out deep in Cormorant?

Thanks for all of the positive feedback, I will continue to toss out my two cents.

Thanks again.