• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Winter Trout Fishing

Well, what a great weekend for being outside!! Sat. turned out to be a beautiful day. WCS and I went down to Rush Creek for an afternoon of trout fishing. WCS managed to pull a 13" or so Rainbow out, also had many follows. I myself didn't catch one fish had a few follows, but that was alright, it was great to enjoy the day with a fellow FM'er. Thanks Again WCS!! Sunday on the other hand turned out to be the day for me. After trying to decide whether it was an ice fishing day or trout day, my girlfreind and I decided to hit the road in search for some trout waters. We found ourselves on the back side of Preston on Camp Creek, I was able to coax a 12" rainbow into hitting spinner my third cast, but that was all we were able to get out of Camp. Then we headed to the Lanesboro Dam, if any of you ever get a chance to see the Lanesboro Dam in the winter it is quite a spectacular site, the mist that is produced by the falls puts an ice coating on everything in the area, really neat to see!! Anyway, the dam produced three browns, all within the 12-14" range, great day for a drive and a few casts. Bonus was just catching a few fish!!

It was indeed a beautiful day to be out on the stream. It is just hard to believe hitting a trout stream in January with only a light jacket, no gloves and no 3 ft snow drifts to tromp through. Like Fish_Hunter said, just being out was good enough...catching a fish was a bonus. I had a great time Chris, look forward to the next time we can get out.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the film sent in from our trout fishing on Rush Creek back in January. Going back out tomorrow 3/10/06 now that WxGuy ordered us up some of that nice "January" weather again. Finally retired the 35mm camera and got a small digital to carry when fishing. Now I won't have to wait 2 months to fill a roll.

trout5rf.jpg

Hey, nice 'bow, buddy!

Have fun out there tomorrow. I'd really, really like to be out fishing too, but I'll have to wait until Saturday. I didn't get out once through the entire month of February, or yet this month, as something's been scheduled every weekend. frown.gif

I've heard that streams are running a bit fast and dark, so you'll do well with a lot of shine and wiggle out there tomorrow. smile.gif Good luck!

Went out to Rush Creek today. Indeed the stream was fast and dark. Couldn't see the spinner beyond about 3-4 inches under water. Was like fishing in chocolate milk. Aparently the trout had similar difficulties seeing the lure as I got skunked. It was a beautiful day to be outdoors. Of course in a couple months from now, we'll be complaining that 50 is too cold, but it sure felt good today. The shorline conditions are not very good. With the surface soil thawing and frost still underneath, it is very slippery. Made it difficult to approach the water even with a slight slope. I think I spent more time on my seat than on my feet.

WCS, Yep that's the trout you caught alright!! hee hee. Good to hear you got out again... sorry to hear it was not productive frown.gif Did you fish the same stretch or try another area?

Fish_Hunter,

I started at the next bridge downstream and worked my way to where we quit. I am sure the streams will be filled up again when all this snow melts. I would guess that they are pretty decent right now. Unfortunately, I am pretty busy this weekend or I would try it again.

I may try to get out yet on Sunday...but we'll see. I will probably just try the Middle Branch again being it's only 10 min. away wink.gif How does next weekend look for you? Maybe if Randy can order up some more of that spring weather we could get out again smirk.gif So the water level was low when you went? Did you see many in the stream? Next time we go we will go up even further to that farmhouse and walk back. That is some of the best fishing there I think!!

The water was very high when I went out last week. Very tough to fish. I'll have to check my schedule for next weekend. I'll work on it and get back to you by email.

Did anyone go out this past weekend??? i plan on going out tomorrow any tips tricks, or places would be warmly accepted. i will probalby be using the fly rod but i might bust out the spinner. thanks ike

I didn't get out this past weekend. According to my wife, cleaning the house for company was more important. frown.gif FWIW, the house was rather dirty.

Anyhoo, this weekend should be a good one for you, just a bit cool. The slow melt of the snow should hopefully give the water just enough stain that you don't have to be extremely stealthy. Flies that have been working great are prince nymphs, pheasant tails, and orange scuds. Baetis, or blue winged olives, will also be hatching soon, and if conditions are just right you might find fish coming up top to take little flies...those would be the ones. You might want to make sure you've got some size 18 or 20 blue winged olive dries just in case that happens. Size 16 or 18 pheasant tails are great imitation of bwo nymphs, so you should be just fine there if you want to match the naturals. I typically fish an orange scud trailed by a small PT or midge. Fish usually take both happily.

If you haven't been lately, you should think about fishing a 2-fly nymph rig...I rarely fish just one fly. If you want to try that, you want to tie about 12-18" of tippet to the bend of your first fly (improved clinch works fine) and of course tie your 2nd fly to the tippet. Your larger or heavier fly should be the first in line, and the 2nd fly the smaller, lighter fly. It's a great method if you're in the mood for catching fish. smile.gif

As far as places to go...

Your choices are fairly limited with the winter season regulations, but the good news is that all your options will likely be good ones. If you head east to the Whitewater or south to Fillmore county you'll find good water.

Let us know how you do!

I might get out for a few hours Saturday afternoon. Hopefully I'll remember my camera this time...

Managed to make it out last thursday. And of course we pulled a Wxguy and forgot our camera but we managed 2 beautiful rainbows that both fell victim to a copper john. Saw lots of fish but without the sun and several previous days of run off i think the water temp was down and the fish were being cold blooded. Did anyone else make it out this weekend??? ike

I got out Tuesday and actually remembered my camera! smile.gif

3/28 Fishing Report

Good luck if you get out this weekend. Stream conditions will depend on how much rain we get in the next couple days.