• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Guides' Rules

gunflint

I agree, but some clients also use salt-water guides or charters, where the charter is licensed and the client is not. By asking the simple question, "did you pick up a license" you can keep from having a bad trip and lost client.

Guide thoughts,, I've been guiding for nearly 40 years and have fished on every trip. I don't have any rules except for common sense. The purpose of a guided trip is to catch fish, teach the customer something about the why, when, and where of what you are doing that day, and also have fun. I have lots of equipment, and if I see someone struggling with poor equipment, I offer them something better. We fish big water, and lots of structure and areas to fish... Hopefully, people learn, have a good meal, and have a better vacation (fishing trip) after a day on the water with me. Fishkab

This is getting a bit picky, don't you think? I understand that first and foremost, you want to be safe and secondly, put people on fish. But no cell phones, c'mon. I know they can be annoying on the golf course or at dinner but not allowing them in the boat. I always thought these people were hiring you to be THEIR guide, you know, provide a service to them.

I agree with the other rules posted because I know you want to put people on fish and keep your clients alive at the same time. This one is a bit extreem. It seems that it is becoming a contest of who can come up with the most restrictions. Next, your clients will not be allowed to crack their knuckles in your boat because the sound bothers you.

Sorry for the rant but I had to say something.

Really, I don't mean to offend anyone.

D

Cell phones are fine in my boat. (Of course we don't have cell coverage) grin.gif The sunflower seed thing really hit the mark. No peeing over the side. That's what the BWCA portages are for. As far as determining what an unruley child is, I know one when I see one.

Most of these "rules" are really just common courtesy, and go unspoken and unwritten.

diesel D....i dont think my "rules" are that tough...the reason for the rods and reels is to enhance the catching ability of my clients...you are right that you are the one doing the hiring...and that is my philosiphy ..once in a while you have to pull rank on some people...usually that takes alot...i find that if i dont care for someone in my boat...they probably dont like me either...but thats when you kill with kindness...or better yet a whole slew of fish....the poor people in my boat are forced to listen to me yak about whatever it is im onto that day...thats not a rule...they are just stuck....but i also find people like my ramblings...but yes i agree...some of these posted rules are pretty strict...i always just hope they get what they wanted out of hiring me.....

There must be a little misunderstanding. I agree with most of the rules mentioned in the posts (no seeds, good tackle, no smoking, drinking, peeing, etc...). I just had a issue with the no cell phones. That one just seemed a bit overboard grin.gif.

Anyway, you are right, most of the things mentioned should just come as common courtesy and should not have to be put into rules, but I understand some people need clear direction on what will be accepted and what will not.

Sorry, didn't mean to create a ruckus. Just had to mention the cell phone thing.

D

no ruckus ...i just dont always know how to answer....just trying to get thru winter...

Good to hear.

And by the way, to all you guides out there. It IS your vessel so its your rules. Anyone who hires you needs to respect that.

D

On Lake Superior we have a few rules/guidelines. The most important is the "Two Splash Rule"...When a customer doesn't hang on to the rod and it goes down like the Fitzgerald. That's the first splash. You can guess what the second one is. If you get sick do it over the side of the boat...not in the cabin. It was mentioned before but if a group shows up late it doesn't mean we come back any earlier. There are set departure and arrivaltimes and we stick to 'em. No smoking in the cabin. Other than that just be safe and HAVE FUN! We let customers drive and helpset lines if they want and also net the fish too. It's their trip! That means they set the hook too...some boats on the big lake don't give the customers a chance to lose the fish which is actually quite sad. Mind you if a customer is uncomfortable with grabbing the rod out of the rod holder and freeing the line from the rigger we do that but that's when mostfish are lost and some boats don't give their customers the hands on experience like that.

garytheguide,

I know what you mean about getting through winter. I've almost completed my boat project for the winter. All that's left to do is paint and polish the exterior hull. I'm going to wait until it warms up outside for that. 7 weeks until ski season is over another 4 or 5 after that and the ice should be gone, in the meantime all I can do is stare at the ice.

Gunflint and Gary, In my guiding career, I have lots of cell phones the last couple of years. Don't mine them.. But a couple of interesting stories. One time a guy got his largest fish ever, so he calls back to the office and gets on the people at work. Sort of fun. One other time, I had a group of businessmen, and the phone was ringing alot from the office. I told them if the people working for them couldn't handle the job, they needed to call all the time, they should go home and fire them and hire some good staff so the next fishing trip will be a lot more enjoyable and they probably would make more money and they could fish more often. They didn't say anything for awhile, and then one of them said, I think you have a point. Don't know if anyone got fired.... Like you hoping the soft water comes soon. Later Fishkab

thats a good cell phone story...it doesnt bother me...but i have seen some guys get mad at their partner for bringing one....one guy was a stock guy in new york...and he was calling and getting called...his brother about killed him....the guy was pacing all over the boat...then later asked me if there was a movie theater to go to...i just said crack a beer ..have a campfire and look,or howl at the moon!!gunflint...i get the cabin fever bad...cant find enough work to keep busy...booked two trips today...thats good...but then i get itchy...well it will come

• 1 month later...

rules are a good thing, time equipment ect.when i guided here in wis i had one rule for myself be polite and make the day good for all ps. i never fished unless asked two' thought it was my job to teach and find fish.