• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

why wont anybody cough up any info on eagle lake? talked to 71 bait he wasnt a hole lot of help either.

I dont think that theres anything to cough up. I have friends that fished it last week and did good. But the info that im getting is that its all over for now. Of course your going to still get some strays here and there. If anybody has info saying otherwise lets here it. BUY THE WAY 71 BAIT IS NEVER GOING TO BE MUCH HELP IF YOU CATCH MY DRIFT!

walleye4life thanks for the info. found out today that the water turned and is real dirty now. i like to harpoon nords. i would think that 71 bait would be a little more helpful in his line of work. i know i wont go there.

I dont spear much myself, But a good friend of mine does alot, Have you tryed some other area lakes? Such as diamond in dog fish bay. Or calhon If I can be of any help I sure will.

Hey, guys how good is the Ice on the lake? I heard people were driving on Eagle, kinda makes me nervous....Is it safe to drive off the access?

With the temps in 45 degrees by tommorrow I don't know how safe it's gonna be....Hate to send people, specially families out there with unsafe Ice. Any info on Ice will be appriciated.

Thnx,

J.

glenn Youshould check out the crow river north of New London. See the guys at pete's surplus they may have more info, but we speared ther all the time when i lived there.

I never had any trouble getting info from Brad at 71 bait..hmmm did yall make him mad?? lol j/k

J --I drove out on Norway last weekend, and I tell you what it was nerve wracking, but I did make it, I never did measure the ice, but I would guess 12.5" I don't think a couple of 45 days are going to wreck the ice to bad, maybe I'm wrong though.

NAA i didnt make him mad. all i did was ask him a couple fishin questions. walleye4life thanks for the info. but i just made plans to head up to the deer river talmoon area.

The thing about 71 bait Is that He thinks He Knows to much.

If you go there To buy something And you Know what you Want Then he should sell it to you. Not quetion you buy "saying are you sure that you want that"? "Or why do you want That"? I know that I'm not the only one that getts turned off buy his cocky attitude, I understand that hes there to make money just like everyboby else. I would bet he would do alot better if he would just sell what your looking for. Not what he wants to sell you!

I agree with walleye4life. I was in there with 2 buddies, just browsing and as we were looking for lantern mantles, he yells from across the store full of ppl, "U guys look like your lost" Total jerk off! Needless to say the hardware store in town got out business that day, I sure as hell wont be back to that jack-holes shop every again!

I noticed also when he was on the phone to another customer that he stated when asked about buying a auger, "U dont need that one, I got the one and only auger you will ever need rite here" crazy.gif

You guys are too hard on Brad, hes just trying to be friendly and helpful. Whats the difference between saying 'are you lost' vrs 'can I help you'? Hes just engaging you in a conversation, if you tell him what you're after, he'll help you out. And of course hes a salesman, its either that or he goes out of business. And if he goes down, then we're stuck with J's smoke den or Mel's, which really isn't very convenient if you live west of Willmar. Plus Brad has lots of stuff there, from archery to fishhouses to Vexilars, if you need it he has it.

I haven't had too much experience with him other than when I brought a bow in last Fall to get looked over that I had bought at a real cheap price. He gave me his opinion on the bow which was less than desirable especially for a bow hunting newbie. So I drove to Mike's archery in St. Cloud for a second opinion. They told me the exact same thing that Brad did so as far as archery goes I think he has reliable information available.

Blackjack,

Your comment " STUCK with J's or Mel "?? ....are you trying to make'em sound bad?.... I think it's a good thing you have something positive to say about Brad but I don't know if you have to put the other Bait Shops down by comparison?? I understand everyone has their favourite shops just like their favourite fishing holes....per preference and convenience....and if you got something good to say about someone that's great for you.

(Jigginjim let me know if that makes sense to you).

As far I know Whoever it could be Mel, Brad, J's, Petesurplus..etc all have family to take care off and bills to pay and best way to do is having a good running Business. I don't see that as bad competition but on the contrary I see that as a healthy competition, which actually works in favour of Customers.

Anyhow just my two cents.....and by the way if you have any comments you are welcome to bring it to my knowledge...as I like to see good/bad inputs from my customers, it always help me to learn and grow better. "If you gotta say something about me? say it to me."

Well, enough of that I think I'm gonna be out fishing this evening...Thnx for the Ice info walley4life....See you guys on the Ice.

Later,

J.

I like Brad, hes just one of those persons that you either like or you dont. He likes his customers too and wants them to get a product that they will like. Im sure thats why he asks some people questions about their choice. It makes sense in my eyes.

But I think hes a good guy and he also has some good leeches too! tongue.gif

J, my 'stuck with' comment was meant to mean exactly what you already said, competition is good for the customer, its nice to have more bait shops to browse at and select from. If I'm on the east end of town, I stop by your shop, if I'm heading north, I stop by Brads or Last Chance. If I'm in a hurry to get fishing that evening, I'll stop by your shop at noon to get my minnows because its the only shop right in town.

I will admit that as a non-smoker I don't like the smokey atmosphere of your place, but thats your choice, and my choice is to avoid the place and the bad air, unless I really need something.

BlackJack,

You must be talking about the the day a Customer brought in a cigar as a gift..... grin.gif( Took me couple of days to finish it )Normally I don't smoke, but might indulge in a good cigar couple a times a year, Specially Christmas or Holidays or If out fishing....Anyhow, I figured what you ment, but just wanted to ask. (Figure if gotta Q's just ask the person).

Most of the time I keep the ashtray for the customers, So they can put there cigrates out in it, instead of throwing cigrate butts by my door...... frown.gif

Later,

J.

when i was in his store yea he had a lot of good stuff. when i was in there a fisherman wanted a vexalar battery and he wanted 30 bucks for it. i recintly bought one for 19.99 at batteries plus in st cloud and there not exactly a bargain store.

I took up spearing 3 yrs ago,and enjoy going out there with my sons and watching what goes on below the ice.This year i finally put my house out on long last week and have spent 12 hrs out there without even seeing a baitfish.Pulling it off today and calling it quits for the winter as the ice is not in good shape.

To be honest with you guys,i think we are extremely lucky to have the three bait shops around Willmar.I use them all,but tend to use j's more as i am from that side of town....I actually would like to see Brad and J merge and give us a place with a larger variety since holmbrothers is going out of business.I think it would make a go in willmar!!! cool.gif