• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Post your Extravaganza reports!

For those of us unable to make the contest this weekend, please report how you did and if you won anything this weekend. Thanks a lot!

Had a good time, got a little chilly at the end there didn't it?? Did anyone see the Re-Max hot air balloon try to land? That was funny. 8 of us, some of us caught some 3-4 inch perch, knew that wasnt going to do it. I was pretty suprised on the 2.22 lb tulibee get the top, but I guess its not like on gull. blush.gif

I spent the day trying to catch panfish. I was able to get about 15 (small) perch. I did catch a .27lb (little over over 4oz) perch. Not enough to place. I seen a couple other very small perch caught around me. I did see a guy catch a 24 inch northern on a tipup, which he had to throw back because of the 30 inch rule. Other than that, I did not see anything else caught around me.

B. Sterling

Central MN

First timer at this event. Had fun, caught a fish (not big enough to win). My buddy won a Strikemaster auger with a .33 perch.

The Jaycees do a great job on this event. I'll be back!

While working, I kept it on 93.3 all day to see what was going on. I figured the fishing must have been pretty slow if a 2lb. tulibee was leading the way. Did the say how many participants there were this year?

Fishing was rather slow, I think a lot of small perch were caught. I do know that we should have been around the edges of the contest area. Oh well though, fun time anyway. I think they said somewhere around 11,000 people showed up.

We had a great time at the contest despite not catching much. We saw few perch and one walleye run by. We had a couple of taps on the line but no serious takers. Overall a great afternoon.

Jason Erlandson

When I was coming off the lake when the tournament was over a ambulance came and pick a guy up from the lake. Does anybody know what happened to him???

B. Sterling

Central MN

The ambulance came to pick up an individual that had slipped on the ice, hit their head and went unconscious. I was one of a few that called 911.

Fishing was slow for our group. I had five other less experienced people fishing with me in our group. Four were skunked, one caught a three inch perch and I caught seven small perch with the largest one being 0.16 of a pound. We got out there early and set up on the south end of the square, right where the road from the landing meets the contest area in about 28 feet of water. It was the first time for our entire group and we all had a blast.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We had one 5" perch and another hit for our group of 5. Lots of lookers and very few takers.

As always a lot fo fun!

I set up in 22 FOW off of the hump on the southwest corner and got a .17 perch right off the bat. Had high hopes, was on a great spot, but not good enough. I heard that the deeper water was the place to be out on the southeast corner. I think that northeast wind we had had something to do with the slow bite. I have never done that great with east or northeast winds, plus it made for a chilly day. I always get a kick out of the people out there who are way under dressed but so in style tongue.gif! Maybe next year will be the year...............

Well another yaer of not catching anything. Group of 11 and didn't catch a fish. HAd some nibbles but nothing to serious. Alot of tiny perch where caught around the are that we where at. Fished in 29 FOW. along the way back boundary. Can't wait til next year.

Round Lake has a 30" protected limit on northerns. If you caught a northern under 30" it could not be brought in to be weighed. Northerns were caught, apparently none over 30" that could be weighed in.

8 perch caught with .29 being the biggest and just short of placing on the board but nice to catch some fish as I was blanked out in the past years- Maybe next year??

I was part of the crew that worked the Brainerd Lakes Area Walleye Alliance release effort along with the DNR. After the tournament we talked to Tim Brastrup, Area Fisheries Supervisor. He said we had a total of 49 walleye caught with 40 of them surviving the release.

I was also glad to see that there weren't a tremendous amount of crappie caught and most also survived. I think I only saw about 4 dead in the tub after the tournament.

The perch didn't fare so well. Same as other years, it seems they have a harder time surviving the stress. Still though, there was only about 2/3 of a wash tub full of them which shouldn't do any harm to the fishery.

Many people (maybe 30-50%) brought their own bag or bucket for the fish. Much better than last year.

ccarlson

Group of 7 men ( aka Team RAINBOW ), 3 prize winners. 11th, 50th, 102nd. Fished north of weigh in station in 26 FOW. What a blast!

helped drill 24000 holes on friday...

guessed each auger got about 500 holes.

50 new strikemasters. the one i used to

drill hole #500 just as easy as #1.

to top it all off... .32# perch won

me a brand new one too!!!! first fish in

8 years.

14 people, a few taps and no fish. 22 fow on the west edge of the mob. Great time once again but the wind got the better of me in the end.

Caught a couple 3" perch, and had a swarm of them around most of the contest. Couldn't do anything to make any bigger ones bite!

A lady next to us caught a decent perch and was going to throw it back, we yelled NOOOOO, register it, she did and got 150th place and a nice 4 wheeler.

18 FOW on north east corner.

Backlash 1,

She had been in contact with me via email before the contest and emailed again this morning to see if I had any contact info of anyone with the contest because when she walked by the board on her way out, her name wasn't on it. She went back to Wisconsin and checked the results online and saw what she had won. I told her I would ride it over to her, but she said she would rather trailer it. Our group caught 1 perch and had a few tip-taps that I'm sure were tiny perch. I had one nice red line come up and look at my Fat Boy and rosy but then left me high and dry!! We had fun, and I think it was a nice change. How about next year on North Long 371 bay and then rotate.

Walleyedan

I was also one of the hundred or so folks that helped with the hole drilling, and let me be the first to say that I enjoyed every minute of it! I was told that we drilled over 24,000 holes at days end! I would also like to add that those strikemaster's were a good auger, until after lunch when my auger got switched around with someone else's. Then you could definately tell who misused there augers and who didnt. But onto the fishing report, we being a family friend and my brother prefished after the hole drilling. First tried the 17-24ft break line on the south side of the north hump, with alot of perch, some being over 9 in. We then set off to the south hump were we fished the 16-27 ft. break line on what would be the s.e. side of the hump. I managed 1, what i would have guessed to be about 24 in. walleye and about a dozen smaller perch with the biggest being around maybe 6 in. For the contest we decided to try the south hump which would have been the sw square of the whole contest area. Needless to say we werent the first ones that thought that spot might be a good spot to be, so we setteled into other holes within about 20-40 ft away from were we experienced the best luck the previous afternoon and early evening. A few taps rite off the bat, well not rite off the bat, nature was calling and i ended up with the wrong rod in my hands at the moment the big boom went off! I was skunked the whole tournament, my bro caught maybe 8 perch under 4 in. and our friend caught a tiny perch that weighed in at a whopping .23 lbs. So no prizes for this group, but all in all a great experience, and I will be back next year with more luck and better ideas! Thanks Jaycee's! smile.gif

i filled my auger w gas just before lunch.It was easy

to see when i came back, the white plastic gas tank

easily showed me which one was full, although I ran out

mid row later on... did some "in air refueling" with

a couple that had just filled theirs, and continued on.

I was also surprised that I "gained" a spot on the board.

It was still an auger tho... I had many offers of "even up/trade" for vex or clam. One guy offered me his vex for

$200. I'm still kickin myself for that.

I had similiar results as backlash1. I marked fish nearly all day. I only caught 2 small perch at 4" & 6". I bet I had 20 bites, but couldn't hook any. I'm guess they were all those tiny perch.

I came down from Lake of the Woods to watch this amazing

event. Can't say enough good things about the Brainerd

Jaycees and the near 500 volunteers that make this thing

run so smooth.

That radio station did a great job with their coverage

and participation all day long.

I didn't fish, I only showed up to watch and listen.

I got to see Kent Hrbek and ice guys Chip Leer from

Fishing the Wildside, Ice Teamers Dave Genz, "Bros"

Brosdahl and Noel Vick. Did any of you see "Bros"

custom Arctic Cat BearCat Snowmobile?....WOW!

Fun on the Ice in Minnesota......Priceless!