• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

looking for pike

WALTERCRAFT

any decent reports on nordskis in sw metro?

looking to get out and watch flags for a few hours this wknd.

did not do well on tonka or prior last couple wknds.

any help would be cool.

walt

I am not sure, I was out on Mntk once and did not have any flags either. I am thinking about heading to Minnewashta on Sunday because it is close to my house and has a lot of pike. I have only caught the 2-5 lb variety but I am pretty sure there are some 8-10 lb guys in there. I have not tried it yet this winter so I can not tell you a good spot to try.

For Tonka location a bunch of sunnies first. They are usually hanging on the weedlines anywhere from 6 to 12ft. The start jigging for sunnies and leave one pike tipup down. Jigging and catching sunnies gets the pike's attention. If you aren't catching any sunnies you won't catch any pike. I've got few in the 5lb range doing this so far. Use BIG bait the largest suckers or shiners you can find. Dead cisco/smelt also works well. I have had my tipups halfway to the bottom. Be at least 3 ft up in the water column or a foot over the weedtops if you are fishing that shallow. Seems the hour before sunset has been the best time. Minnewashta is also a good pike lake. I prefer the deeper south bay. It's a along walk from the access but I've caught some nice ones there including my personal MN best.

Thanks for the info Mark. I like fishing for sunnies with a pike tip-up out so it is nice to hear that someone else has had success doing the same thing. It can make for a fun afternoon if you get a nice group of sunnies for dinner and a few flags going off to mix things up.

I will let you know how things go on Sunday at Minnewashta.

Minnewashta is a great choice - some good-sized sunnies out on that lake and lots of pike, but they run small.

I think this is a prime lake to stock perch in so as to fatten up the pike as they run stunted.

If you don't want to walk to the south bay there is the reef in the main bay and is easily walkable from the middle/east access. Sharp, weedy drop off that comes up to about 8' on the top of the reef.

The pike there will hit your sunnie bait, fyi.

DB

thanks for the info fellas i'll try washta today and post results later.

walt

My 13-year-old nephew and his friend caught two northerns on Monday near a channel. One was 28" and the other was 33". West side of channel off of Co. Rd. 125. Tip-ups with big jigs and big shiners.

dsludge

went to washta sat am but no 4 whellers allowed , so turned to tonka. caught a couple small pike and missed another.

hooked a large muskie got it to the hole then it took off and busted the line. frown.gif big fish.was fishing the big island area in 14 fow. not many houses out there this year. ice was mostly smooth with 12 inches.

toonfish on prior are you fishing by sand poit? and do you just put your tip-up out by your ice house or do you go in shallower?

I went out to Minnewashta on Sunday. Only fished for a couple hours. Saw a few sunnies on the camera but they didn't want to bite. Never saw any big ones either. We did go two for two on flags. One pike was about 3 pounds the other was pretty nice, 9lbs / 33 in. It made a couple of long runs and we were almost out of line. Lots of fun.

I will tell you that there were guys with 4-wheelers out on the ice. I think the "no 4-wheelers" sign has to do with trail riding within the park. I do not think they are prohibited on the ice (i.e. from the parking area out to your fishing spot on the lake). You could probably call Carver County Parks to confirm.

Take Care.

try lake Ann in chanhassen, there are some restrictions on the pike in that lake, so there are some nice fish in there

walleye dude- I have been putting tip-ups in 8-14 fow outside the weed line or inside it with the shiner suspended over the top.....sometimes only 3 feet under the ice.....I am not out on sandpoint...I have been in some of the bays or on the opening of the bays...Last 2 times out got a 36" and then a 37", shiners, on 10pd test with a circle hook. Both big fish (they are nice and fat this time of year aren't they!!) came on medium sized shiners....On Thursday I had a big sucker and a big shiner down....nothing....switched it up and downsized the bait on both....within 10 min the flag flew with the 37 incher on the other end.....Coincidence????? I have always thought bigger bait= bigger fish.....Maybe someone else can answer this, would a 35-40in Pike ever prefer a smaller shiner or presentation????? I don't know but it has been the ticket last few times out... grin.gif

I would argue just coincidence on the minnow switch - I always get the biggest shiners they have at the bait shop. If I have to trim the tail to keep it from pulling up the flag, I know I am going to get some nice fish on those shiners.

as a rule i do agree bigger bait = bigger fish, however, the smallest pike came on a 6" sucker and the muskie hit one of the smallest baits in the bucket so go figure.

Was out on Medicine over the weekend had great results on large shiners in depths from 6 to 24 feet also caught a good number of walleyes while I was out in and around the same areas.

Ducks double deuce,

were you getting eyes on the tipups w/ shiners or jigging for them?

Im hoping to catch a pike or 2 next time I am out fishing for crappies on Long Lake(in long lake/orono). I am catchin crappies in about 20 fow on break into the deepest part of the lake. It not that far from shore, the break is pretty much steady from shore to 33 feet. There are alot of crappies and perch where I am fishing and possible sunnies in shallower but not quite sure. I have put a tipup out for a short period of time around where I fish but no luck. My question is should I put my tip-up in shallower near or on the weedline or do you think the pike will be wandering around with the perch and crappies and I should just try again and hope one comes by. Pretty much I am asking if the pike will prefer the sunnies over perch and crappies. For anyone who knows the lake I am fishing right out from the cemetary and the outlet. Also if anyone reads this that has been out there is it true that some walleyes are being caught out there? FYI the crappies out there like the orange/red color alot more than yellow/green...found that out by getting outfished several times cause I let the woman use my pole with the orange jig. Thanks for any info!

-FishinChad

I'd lean towards the weedline or even the weed tops. I got schooled last winter by Moby1. He was fishing in 6ft right in the weeds and I was in 14ft outside the weedline. Not only was it 3:1 his were all bigger to boot. The bite sized sunnies and perch will be trying to hide in any green weed cover they can find and the pike will be looking for them. Try shallow first then move deeper if you don't get bit. As to what pike prefer to eat their favorite is a smaller pike

Caught to of the eyes on tip ups and the rest on swedish pimples with a red flash on the side tipped w/ a minnow head. Was out today and caught one small eye and no pike. Going to try the SW end on Thurs.

Any lakes north of the metro major that you'd suggest for pike? If you don't want to blurt out a specific spot on here, you can send me an email.