• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Annual Fishing Derby

just a reminder that the annual fishing derby on Lake Bronson is Feb. 5th this year. Not sure what the top prizes are for this year, i'll post when i know.

lake bronson is 45 miles north of theif river on hwy 59.

Where can I get a ticket or sign up for it? And do you know the times for the event?

Thanks

cat man, dont worry bout buying tickets in advance, show up at the visitors center at the park and buy tickets, these arent stone numbers here but i think its usually 8 till 2 or so, i can look into that

It's Sunday, February 5th, 2006 correct?

I just want to make sure info is correct. Who holds this? Is it the Park or someone else. And is there any other info available, do you stay in a certain area, can you go anywhere on the lake, Etc. Any info would be appreciated, or even a number I could call for more information.

I hope to be there, see you then.

Thanks

according to pike its the 5th, wat time does it start pikey? the lake bronson lions put the tourney on and u can fish anywhere on the lake, outta ur house, so u dont have to fish out of pre drilled holes in specific areas, come on up they draw for 10 or 20 dollars every hour and give away an ice auger on drawing. couldnt tell you how much prize money for fish but its usually a good time

hi catman.

derby starts at 6 in the morning on the 5th of feb. you can either spear or angle for a win. a few diff. top prizes, and a ton of door prizes, generally a goodtime.

the lions club of lake bronson puts this in everyear, you can go over to hallock which is 13 miles west and stay the night, or down in karlstad which is 13 miles south of Lake Bronson.

its on super bowl sunday so you'll have to bring a radio so you can hear the Steelers take the win.

mink, i'll meet you at the baitshop at 5:30, we'll take our secret posts up at the "East End"

Geez 6am! Thats too early for me! grin.gif

Sounds like fun, I'll be there. The nice thing about this derby, is that it is longer than most. I'll be there this Saturday to see if I can find some fish. I have never fished Bronson through the ice, so I have some learning to do. I suppose I should bring my snowmobile?

See you there. grin.gif

catmanlee i was out there sunday and able to drive, as long as u got 4 wheel drive you should be good, there are a few plowed roads out there, snowmobile is also nice tho, especially if we get more snow

Mink, How thick is the ice? Is there much for current areas a guy has too worry about, besides near the river and dam.

Are you gonna be around this Saturday? I was thinking I would take my 6 year old nephew up for a while. Could you point me in a good direction, so that we can stay fairly busy? I'm not asking for your "Honey Hole", just a "good percentage" Spot so that he doesn't get too bored. I don't care if he just catches Bull Heads, atleast it's something.

How has the fishing been?

Thanks.

cat man, plenty of ice, as long as u dont get crazy and head way east in the river,as in where to fish, i think theyve been catchin northerns just bout anywhere, but my house is just south of the big island, east end of the lake if u dont know where im talkin, havnt fished for couple weeks so i couldnt tell u recent reports, probly will be out there saturday, black chevy pickup, and a big camper house, let me know what ur drivin and ill keep my eyes open.

I think I know where you're talking about. Kind of back by the Fishing Dock towards the cabins, right? I'll be driving a small grey Ford Ranger pickup w/ Berkley stickers on the back window and I'm pretty sure I'll be fishing out of my Otter Northern 2-Person (Green) Flip Over.

I'll look for you when I get there.

cat man, im stuck in forks tonight and wont be up there till noonish, so ill probly look for u, that is the general area im talking if u look straight east of the fishing docks ull see our big camper

catman, minky would be more help if he didnt get stuck out in the middle of lake. grin.gif

Mink got stuck? shocked.gif If I would have seen him I would have helped. He did stop by and talk for a couple minutes,

Nice to meet another FM'r.

I didn't have too much trouble going across the lake, but it was almost deep enough to get stuck. We fished a flat for a couple hours catching (5) Perch measuring 9 1/2 inches a piece. Then fished a slope with some trees on the bottom in like 23 feet. We reeled in 4 Pike, lost one at the hole and had a pretty heavy fish bite me off after a short battle.

All-In-All it was a decent trip. We fished till dark and had a very slow drive home with all the snow falling.

I'll be there on Sunday for the derby, Mink gave me all the info. I might even come up Saturday too and fish a little, we'll see, my wife might make me stay home one day! wink.gif

yep sure did, got hung up, pike saved the day tho, didnt fish much after that but sunday i went up there and caught 16 northerns, nothing real big tho 4lbs was biggest, good to here you had some luck cat man

Well, I'm glad to hear you caught a few fish. That 4 pounder isn't the biggest fish, but hey..It might win you something on Sunday! I got permission from the wife, so I'm gonna be up there to fish a while tomorrow too. How is travel on the lake after the new snow we recieved? Am I going to get stuck now? wink.gif

Where is the headquarters for the derby? I went out by the boat launch last weekend, Is it going to be there or by the beach? And do I pay for the Derby at the Park Entrance or when I get to the "Derby Headquarters"? The info wasn't on the sheet.

And finally, Do you guys get your bait at the bait shop by the state park? If so what time is it open? When will it open on Sunday?

Thanks again. grin.gif

Well, let me be the first to say it was a fun day on Lake Bronson. I ended up getting a check for 2nd place in the Perch/Sunfish catagory. I caught 7 Perch, 4 were over 10"'s and the other 3 were 8 1/2 - 9 1/2"'s. I was beat by someone who caught (5) Perch. All must have been very nice fish. I also missed getting a check for 4th place in the angled Northern catagory by 4oz!

The fishing was absolutely hot where I set up on Sunday. During the first 3 hours of fishing I caught 30+ Rock Bass. Unfortunately that wasn't a catagory. I caught over 10 Northern's with the biggest 2lb 13oz's (I think). I was also bit off five times. The perch were a little slower, but it seemed every hour I would catch one, so I stayed put. I also caught a 14" Large Mouth. grin.gif

I was set up in 25ft of water in the middle of the lake. I was right on a break line that came up about 2ft. I had 2 scoops of minnows and almost ran out. All my Perch came on a forage minnow spoon with a dropper 12"s below with a small hook and minnow. I caught most of my fish on this, excet for a few Pike and a couple Rock bass that bit on a small glow jig and minnow.

I was also very suprised at how many people showed up. WOW, I had in mind there would only be like 50 people, there must have been 300+ People.

How did you guys do?

hey great report cat man, fishing was not that hot for us but we caught 10 northerns or so and missed a few more, our biggest was 2 and half so didnt bring any money home but had a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

hey catman, great to hear you had some luck. let us know where you were nailing the rock bass. .........and the large mouth.

let us know when u are comming back up to Lake of the Bronson (LOB)

sorry didnt come back to check these posts, but im back now.

we'll have to get some lines wet before ice gets poor.

see ya @ "Bait at 8"

I didn't mark the spot on my GPS, so I can't tell you exactly where I was. I can tell you the area.

I was located on the main lake halfway between the Cemetary point and the point accross from the boat launch. There was a plowed road that made a big loop aroung the lake, I was in the middle of that loop all by myself. There weren't any houses close to me. I don't know if you'll be able to see where I was set up, but I set up in the same area 3 times, so you should see three spots close to each other where I set up. The southern most spot was on the break, wich is where I caught the most fish.

I don't know if you'll always catch rock bass there, but who knows. But remember, most of the Rock Bass came within an hour of sunrise, so try it early.

I hope to get up there again sometime. This weekend, I'm fishing the Springsteel Fishing Derby on Lake of the Woods and Next weekend I'll be on Upper Red Lake for the "Slabfest" on Saturday.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

hey catty, hope your finishing up with the tourny's let us know when if your comming up to LOB for late ice

pikey