• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gophers Vs Tigers

redlake

This is a big series for CC. I see they are trying to hype it as Putolny vs. Sertich. The tigers will have much more to defend than just Putolny. Colorado's defense might be the worst in the league this year.

Do the gophers really think they can catch the Badgers and is there any concern about the Denver team that is on its heels? I see Denver and Minnesota trading punches the rest of the way. The gophies have a much easier schedule, but that does not always translate into W's. Right Mr. Woog?

I see a gopher sweep if they get any goaltending wink.gifwink.gif

I don't know if I see a sweep, three of four points hopefully. I'll be there on the Redline friday night. grin.gif

Not much of a concern we need to finish in the top 3 is all, they can have the cup we'll take the ring.

I usually don't predict sweeps, even at Mariucci. But I think that is a strong possibility this weekend. 5-2 Fri., 4-3 Sat... (us, of course).

Just a question to throw out to everyone. Does anyone see the need for the gophs to stick to one goalie? I realize that the young Mr. Frazee is the future between the pipes, but I also believe that Briggs has the experience to take them to a title. Briggs has played in some big games and I personally would like to see them stick to one guy for now. Let Briggs get the hot hand hopefully and ride it out! Just my two cents I guess.

I couldn’t agree more! I have posted in the past that Frazee has the potential to be one of the best goalies the Gophers have ever had (not including Stuber). But, right now I just don’t have the confidence in him. Briggs has been playing well. He controls rebounds and cuts off angles better then Frazee. I think Frazee has made some great saves, but I think the Gophers would have walked away with Saturday night’s Sioux game if Briggs were in the cage. The first Goal was a juicy rebound and the third goal you just have to make in last two minutes of a tied game.

Bring back Frank Peterangelo! shocked.gif

Have the gophers ever produced a NHL goalie? A quality NHL goalie, not someone who comes up for a glass of water. Stauber never really made it although he was a great goalie in college. Karl Goehring was great in college and it looks like he might not make it.

The Badgers have Joseph, Richter, and so on. The Sioux have Belfore, Casey, and so on.

The Gophers are too big on scoring forwards to ever produce a great goalie who makes it beyond college. Score lots and try to get back on defense if you miss. I love the Gophs till the bitter end but sometimes it frustrates me that they lack on defense in key moments of the game. Even when they do have a great defenseman he is usually a scorer on special teams like Leupold. A big trigger man like Leupold would be nice to have on the current team as well. laugh.gif

Good question red. The gophers goaltending in recent years have been subpar in my mind.

I have a better question. Which Gophers goalie was the worst overall?

I have to say Adam Hauser, he was awful.

I guess expectations are little higher here, but are you guys really whinning about the Gophers not having a Good NHL goalie?

Who freaking cares if ND or Wisc have had 2 decent NHL goalies in there 75 year existance.

Is there some sort of fantacy land formula that allows coaches to determine whether a 16 or 17 year kid is going to be a good NHL goalie some day. grin.gif

Quote:

I have a better question. Which Gophers goalie was the worst overall? I have to say Adam Hauser, he was awful.

Is that the same Adam hauser who has a national championship ring? I'm with peir 100% on his comments, you nailed it right on the head!

I was at the game last night and my take was that the Gophers controlled the game but it was not very intense at all... except when the ref made that horrible interference call that led to CC's tying second goal! We stepped up and punched in two and said buh bye! I just felt like we were only trying as hard as we needed to to stay one step ahead of CC... I guess what it all means in my mind is that I don't think CC is as good as Minnesota... I think it will come down to 'Sconi and the Goofs... of course I've been wrong before.

I concur HW. Hauser was extremely frustrating to watch. He would stop a 2 on O break cold, then let in a wounded fluttering duck from the blue line. He drove me nuts. Guys always seemed to go top shelf on him, and he was toast when they drilled it under the crossbar. He seemed VERY slow to react to the puck on one-timers, etc. as well.. Glad he is gone. I know he was in the net when we won the first championship, but it had very little, if anything, to do with his performance between the pipes.

Quote:

I know he was in the net when we won the first championship, but it had very little, if anything, to do with his performance between the pipes.

Houser was one of main reasons we won the NCAA title.

He was awesome in the NCAA Tournament, Houser along with Grant Potulny John Pohl were named to the all-tournament team. grin.gif

42 saves in the NCAA title game is real good. grin.gif

8 ball, yes he was frustrating during the few years he played during the regular season, I'll give you that, but onxce again my man Pier has nailed the fact! He was str8 stone cold money during the NCAA run and we needed his great performance or we wouldn't have won it all. Give the man credit when it's due, and in your case it's a few years past due... the Gophers ought to send a collection agency after you. grin.giftongue.gif

O.K., O.K., he was good at times. I just remember always on the edge of my chair when he was in net, from period to period he could often be a completely different goalie. Never knew how he was going to perform. Geez, don't tell the collection agency where I live, at least wait until I am extradited out of the country!

Quote:

O.K., O.K., he was good at times.

He's was scary most of the time, almost like he was a sleep.

Nice job gophers. That was fun hockey to watch. Good sweep. Good goaltending. wink.gif

Wisconsin peaking in December?

It might be. Brings a smile to my face. laugh.gif

Hauser may have won the NCAA championship but in my mind he still was a terrible goalie.

Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl and he is a horrible quarterback.

Don't get me wrong he helped the gophs win the NCAA, but I (like many gopher fans) were waiting for the standard "Hauser blueliner". If it wasn't for the Gophs team defense in overtime they would have lost.

Hawg Warboy,

You couldn't be more wrong. Trent Dilfer was a fine QB and the Ravens wouldn't have gotten a whiff of the super bowl without his leadership. He managed that team very well and didn't turn the ball over and that is all he was asked to do. Trent Dilfer also can shoot a 62 on the golf course with lefty clubs. cool.gif

Adam Hauser played three great games in his entire career. The rest were fun to watch. He was brilliant at times and then he was just average. shocked.gif