• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Best dock for the money

Pannyraid

Question

I am shopping for a new dock for our family's lake place in NW Wisconsin. With the minimal research that I've done so far there seems to be several different options and vendors available. The primary decking options include cedar, no-maintenance vinyl, or aluminum decking. The company's that I am looking at include Newman's, Daka, Floe, etc. The no-maintenance vinyl type decking is intriguing, but I do not know of anyone who has this set-up. Any insight into purchasing a new dock system would be much appreciated. Thanks.

8 answers to this question

I bought one in the fall of 2005 with the interlocking no maintenance vinyl panels. NO WEATHERING AND NO MAINTENANCE. It's also nice when you put the dock in and take it out. You move the dock in and out without the panels on the frame. She weighs a lot less when you're just moving the frame in and out. Lot's of the neighbors are jealous...

The panels on mine interlock and are heavy enough that they won't blow away except maybe in a tornado.

I had a Neuman roll in dock and thought it was very light and unstable. I finally got rid of it.

Be careful of those vinyl panels types that just lay across the framing of the dock. Several of my lake neighbors have lost many panels over the years due to storms washing/blowing them off never to be seen again. If you go that route, find some way to secure them down.

Checkout Custom Portable Docks and Lifts, between Hinckley and Danbury. It is just north of Hwy 77. You will save some money as this is direct from the manufacturer. They have a website just Google.

Check out a Hewitt dock. I bought a 32 footer with and "L" for my cabin in wNW Wisconsin that is incredibly stable. IT has aluminum decking that is permanent mount to the frame of the dock. The surface has a built in tread that keeps it from being slippery. It is also very quiet to walk on and never gets hot from the sun. The surface is white and cleans up very easily.

There is a dealer in Ladysmith that services all of NW Wisconsin and he is usually at the boat shows where he gives a 20% discount.

I don't think I will ever need to buy another dock. Its been a great investment.

Check out Soderblooms. Jay does it all and cheap. Probably be worth a drive up. E-mail me for contact info.

I have had a vinyl dock from Private Island for 8 years now. The panels still look new. I did have two panels blow out in an 80 mph wind once, but I found them both the next day.