• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

As I type this he seems to be lining up a new gig as a radio personality on Ely's internet radio station. Good to here you on the net!

Finns.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Way to go Chunk. So how do I find this radio station?

New Ely "radio" station hits the E waves

By Steve Foss

Ely Timberjay editor

There’s a new Ely “radio” station about to fire up.

But it won’t broadcast over the airwaves — you’ll listen to it over the Internet.

Former WELY Radio morning personality Mike Jankovec and Mary Cich, his organizing partner in the Boundary Waters Blues Festival, have teamed up to produce Boundary Waters Radio, which will broadcast only over the Internet at www.BoundaryWatersRadio.com.

According to Jankovec and Cich, online listeners will hear the once familiar voice of Jankovec, who will kick off the station at 6 a.m. on Jan. 16 with a morning show reminiscent of the one he co-hosted for five years on WELY.

Jankovec, who also had a WELY blues music show and worked extensively with voices and radio advertisement for WELY, was let go by the new management last month.

Initially, the morning show will be Boundary Waters Radio’s only live offering, but Jankovec and Cich, who have named their brainchild business Fancy Pants Productions Inc., say they already have local businesses committed to advertising, and are developing a number of individualistic music shows with the help of community members.

“We won’t be going 24/7 for at least a month,” said Cich.

So far locked in are Ely native Russ Albums, who hosts a syndicated radio show The Wax Museum, and Ely historian and writer Michael Hillman, who will record his writings for later play. More local programming will follow.

Jankovec indicated that one of the blessings of the operation is that, controlled by merely two people working closely together, a stripped down management can lead to fast decsions and rapid implementation.

He also stressed that the programs will satisfy a wide variety of personalities.

Both believe that radio in general has become more and more generic and pre-programmed.

“We’re banking that not only do people want to hear about Ely,” Cich said, “but that there are people tired of corporate radio. A lot of Internet people are fed up with it and finding a way to do their own thing.”

The duo hopes to tap into that out-of-town market, which may eventually make up the lion’s share of their listeners and advertisers. While their initial advertisers are local, Cich and Jankovec said there’s no reason the business should ultimately compete for ad share in the long term with other advertising media in town.

The enterprise also will be recording and offering podcasts, so people with ipods and MP3 players can listen in, as well as those with computers. Web cams also are in the works, they said.

The studio, which is located above Britton’s Cafe on Chapman Street, will be where Jankovec also works at producing ads for others, and at sound and video work.

Nor will Jankovec and Cich depend solely on income from Boundary Waters Radio for the success of Fancy Pants Productions. Cich has folded her graphic design and marketing business into the enterprise, and Jankovec’s band booking service and production business are part of it as well.

The pair also stressed that the site will be a work in progress, that what it looks like on Jan. 16 is not how it will look months later.

Contact Foss at (218) 365-3114 or [email protected].

Congrats Chunky!!!! Will be listening next week!! Since Im at work by 6am, I'll of already had my morning Dew, so I should be wide awake to absorb the knowledge cool.gif

FM will also be a common topic on Chunky's fishing report. Spreading the word. It can take many forms. grin.gif

Is it time for a fish report?

Rumor has it that Mike and others are going to have a web cam up and running before long. If so please put an indicator light of some kind on it so it can be avoided if necessary to protect the innocent or the silly.

Finns.

Finners, you're killing me! grin.gif Due to a family situation, STF will be taking my place in the morning. Hopefully fully dressed, wait this is radio. I'm just hoping at least he'll slide on the Zubas. It is 6:30am you know. I'm thinking the bash will be on his mind. I'll be on next week.

Hey, no go or go at the bash?

I'm in! They gotta stop talking about the homemade bread, I'm getting really hungry grin.gif

Giv'er heck (or is it still break a leg in radio? grin.gif?) Catfish!!!

Catfish guy????? Catfish Hunter??? You gonna take that STF?? HeHe!!!!

We can't make it to the Bash this year as she wants to go to the Winterfest the next week. We'll be up the 1st through the 4th. May see you then as we'll be wandering the park and streets for a few days.

Finns.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I listen every morning and call on occasion. I get off work at seven am so will probably miss your show again tomorrow.

Saw STF at the snowball Sat. night.

Finns.

Good Morning Guys grin.gif

Yeah, Chris, you may come back from your fishing trip to find that turning on the dishwasher opens the garage door. blush.gif

No doubt, or the switch for the basement lights is in the upstairs bathroom grin.gif

Really bummed about the weekend, couldnt believe when he said he was gonna be here sat/sunday....then it hit me, sidejob..bingo.

Oh well, the windchill looks like its gonna stay below zero for saturday which would have limited Jr's fun.

You guys slay a few trouts for me, personally i would do a trout boil on the ice. A little squeeze butter and salt/pepper and your good to go, Mmmmmm Goooooood grin.gif

Problem is, if we PLAN on a trout feed, the trout gods will not deliver. You know those ole trout gods. crazy.gif

Man I'm full! Breakfast in a tube, Beef Bacon, Smoked Laker, and chocolate covered coffee beans from Gene Hicks himself! Hey I do look like Festus!

Hey Chunky - When I hit listen live, it prompts me to download a file (listen.pls) vs bringing me to the show. Is there something else I need to do?

Once you download listen.pls, leave it on your desktop and double click it. Then you should hear the show. That worked for me.

I tried that Steve. When I double click the file, notepad comes up and this is what it says:

[playlist]NumberOfEntries=1

File1=http://eu02.egihosting.com:9104/

Thanks for the reply, though. I've been dying to hear the station. Any other ideas out there? I had emailed the station a few weeks back and never got a response.

When you get the prompt choose open with. I use WinAmp. I believe Windows media player would work too.