• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shed Hunting

T-ProGuy

I think that may wife has finally gotten used to me being home for once, especially since we have reached the time of year that I cannot be out in the woods chasing grouse or deer. BUT...now I am looking for another reason to get back out into the woods!

I have never spent any time out in the woods doing some shed hunting. I think it would be a good chance to get out and get some exercise and snoop around my favorite bow hunting areas, but I might as well try and find some hidden treasures while I am out there.

When would you guys suggest heading out to find some whitetail sheds?

I have been watching the deer that come to my feeder and have reports from others and I have only heard of one deer that dropped it's rack. It may be a little bit yet, but not long. It is a great way to get out and scout your area for next year and finding a shed is a bonus. I'll post when I start to see them start dropping their racks.

Ya I agree with Nova. I watch the deer in the state park here quite often and the bucks have not dropped their horns here either. I think last year I recall it was much later than I would have thought. Well into February before they even began.

It's a little early for most bucks to drop but any time you can get out in the woods is a good time. I found a nice 4 pt side last weekend while snowshoeing. The snow is crusty so the dropped horns stay on top of the snow.

They are just beginning to drop, it appears. I have my trail cam at a friend feed station. Two weeks ago there was a basket racket 8 pointer who had dropped half of his rack. Now it appears he may have dropped the other side last week.

The bigger 8 point, two spikes and a forkie still have their headgear as of last Sunday.

Thanks for the info guys...

I figured it was still a bit early, and am looking at the first half of February for my next trip into the woods. Please keep posting updates as they become available!

I havent seen any bucks drop their sheds yet. I have a 150 class 10 pointer coming in the feeder at my cabin and will go out there on friday night and see if he already shed his antlers (doubtful but possible), I got some pictures on it. Now I'm pumped for next fall. grin.gif

I was out in the woods last night checking my trail camera, and had a picture of a 10 pointer from Monday. Hadn't dropped his rack yet, and there are NO signs in the woods of any sheds. If there are any out there, I would think I would have seen one. I'm waiting with anticipation also!

I went out for a quick walk this afternoon and found the first shed of the year!

I saw the shed and my dog actually found it too!! I thikn she smelled it before I saw it as she was headed toward it when I spotted it.

nice 5 pt, but the squirrels already tore it up!

It was very fresh with blood on the pedicle.

[image]img16402fg.jpg[/image] [image]img16395dq.jpg[/image]

I was out varmint hunting this past weekend and saw 2 very nice 10 pt bucks. One had both sides on and the other had only one side, i guess he would only be a 5 pter now. They must just be starting to drop them.

I am itching to get out and look, I guess I need to get a camera to watch the boys in my area