• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1st Annual Catchin' Ice with BLC

I would like to invite everyone to the "1st Annual Catchin' Ice with BLC" out on Lake Washington on Sunday, February 12.

I've been working with Bethany College in Mankato on putting together a day of ice fishing for all the students and faculty, and things are finally all set.

This is a non-competitive event. It costs nothing to attend and there are no prizes, awards, drawings, etc, just a chance for people to learn about and enjoy the sport of ice fishing. Basically it's going to run just like one of our "Get Togethers."

We will be going out of the North Landing and the event will be from 10am - 4pm (I will be there from about 7am - 7pm though). We will set up on the ice somewhere over a productive panfish spot, preferrably away from the crowds (I'm going to scout out a spot the week prior). If people want to head elsewhere on the lake then that's fine as well, the tent and stuff will just be there as a headquarters.

Many of these students and faculty have never ice fished before, or have little experience, so it should be an exciting and rewarding day.

I've already talked with Team Otter and he'll be there as well, among several other FM Pro Staff and Coordinators that I've spoke with.

So, feel free to join us for this Get Together...

Catchin' Ice with BLC - 2/12 on Lake Washington

Should be a lot of fun!

Matt

If you need any help or there is anything that I personally can do,just ask.I can also come and help drill holes or take some people fishing if needed.

I'll be in Vegas otherwise I would have loved to come and meet all you guys and help out. Next time! I'll bet the over/under on a 15 incher being caught!

Wow, I didn't know that Lutherans ice fished! grin.gif Good old BLC. Made it through 2 years year of that place back in 97' 98'. Might be worth it to come and see some of the faculty falling on their arses. tongue.gif I'd love to sit there and catch fish after fish and look up at the profs and say, "I don't see what is so hard to understand about this stuff?" Poetic justice right there.

How are you affiliated with BLC Matt? Do you work there now or something?

Man you have brought back some fond memories for me Matt.

Now, let's keep it clean here, as I'm sure several BLC professors are reading this thread as well (as I know several of them are FM Members) wink.gif

I'm actually attending classes at BLC. I went back to college to finish up a Communication degree. A great group of people here at the college, and there's a lot of excitement for this event.

Can Catholics attend?? grin.gif I'm just kidding! This will be an awesome event, I have no doubt about that. I'd love to be there and help out, but I'm pretty certain I'll need to be home for some b-day celebrations that day. If plans change and I can make it, I'll be there. I'm going to try and get back to Washington at least one more time yet before this event and if I do, I'll let you know the where, what, and how well my outing was so that I can contribute to some degree to this event....either where the fish were at or where they were not at. smile.gif

Sounds like it will be a good time and as we get closer to that date I'll let ya know of my situation.

In response to MrWalleye's post:

I'm a recent member of the listserv (and work at Bethany Lutheran College). Is there a professor or two that we should especially try to get on the ice for the event? Matt can be pretty persuasive. It should be a fun day.

basscatcher,

I would hope so, since I'm Catholic myself grin.gif

Youngester,

I have a feeling I know you... I like the name wink.gif

I'm looking forward to the 1st annual and many more. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. I'll be there Sunday morning early.

This will be a great event for the college and I'd like to be the first to give credit to Matt Johnson for all his hard work with this. He has really gone above and beyond with several events just like this and for that I am grateful. It's not easy to organize an event of this nature, but Matt has done a swell job. Thank-You Matt.

Looking forward to meeting several other of you members in the Mankato area.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm hoping to be there as well. It's looking like a very good time.

I'm in!

I told Matt awhile back that I would be there to fish and help, but another trip up to Upper Red Lake almost derailed those plans. The trip fell through and I'm back on board.

This is going to be a fun time. Heck, whenever you can get together with fisherman that share the same passions as yourself, you are going to have a good time. Looks like some really top notch anglers are going to make it as well. I have no problem chatting fishing or helping someone out so feel free to stop me and say hi!

I'll be there representing MVL just down the road. BLC really supports our high school alot and I wouldn't mind rubbing shoulders with them on the ice. I don't seem to fair to well in the summer golf outing so this should put me on more of an even playing field. cool.gif

Oh, I can think of a few! Any of the Weichman's (sp), Marzinske, Kuster, Bruss', Lusky, Young, and don't forget to bring Art along. I can just picture Art running around out there with a mad bomber hat on and the bull horn in hand yelling "you got to hussle"! grin.gif I played baseball for Art, and managed to sqeezed in some classes in there somewhere.

Not really sure if any of them are around there anymore. I don't get up there that often.(at all). I'm planning on being there, but I may have to make a run up to Brainerd that weekend. Don't know yet. Later, Paul

I missed the lake german event. Hopefully I can make this one. I also hope the fish get a little less finicky, they are bitting but yesterday, the pannies were picky. I got dinner but had to work at it.

I've fished with Matt a couple times this winter and this is going to be a great event for everyone who comes. We've caught some nice fish on this lake. There's a lot of excitement here at the college, I'm looking forward to being out there on February 12!

Mr. Cole,

I see you've joined the party... Nice bass in your avatar by the way wink.gif Get ready for Thursday, and make sure you spool up with some new 2 pound test line, because those big 13-inch crappies are going to tear you apart! grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to meeting everyone on Sunday out at the BLC. It is also the day of my birth some 35 years ago, so my present from my wife is that she is going to come out on the ice with me. She likes to fish but not the cold. Any help showing her how cool (no pun intended smirk.gif) this sport is, is appreciated.

Youngster, are you still going? Want to meet some where before hand?

JP

I scouted out some spots today for Sunday. The fish were a little deeper due to the cold front that moved in. I found most of my fish in about 15-18 feet of water. All the fish were relating to the bottom and were finicky for the most part. Managed a few crappies and quite a few sunfish. A nice 12-inch white crappie found its way to my jig, same with a couple gills in the 9-inch range.

OpticStealthGill.JPG

OpticStealthGill2.JPG

MJicegillStealth2.JPG

Should be a great time out there on Sunday!

I'm going to give it another go on Wednesday morning and see if I can find some fish in shallower again...

ernie21e,

I'll be back out there on Wed morning to scout out a few more spots. You're more than welcome to join me. Shoot me an e-mail...

Were you fishing with the Stealth jig? And what plastic were you using?I cant see the jig good enough,but thats what it looks like.Nice fish,as always. smile.gif

Yep, size 10 Optic Stealth jig from Little Atom. Today I was tipping them with a single maggot. Chartruese and orange seemed to really do the trick today, but I'm sure other colors would have worked just the same.

The Duppies and Nuggies are both excellent plastic options from Little Atom. They go great with Optic Stealth...

Hey MN Fats,

I'm glad I'll get to celebrate your birthday with you. Don't let Lisa have too much fun out on the ice, or she'll be fishing in the future and you'll be at home holding down the fort. We'll talk before Sunday.

I'm hoping to have my order in from Little-Atom before sunday rolls around. Looking forward to Sunday and meeting several of you from the SC Forum

1 Question: Is there any reason to bring crappie minnows? I'd say about 95% of my fishing this season has been waxies only (or plastic). Have those nice crappies been coming from waxies (euros), minnows, plastics, or all?