• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

lawerence lake fishing contest

just curious to see how many of you are gonna make it down to lawerence lake on the 28th for their ice tourney, i have been hearing that the fishing is pretty good and that should make for a really good tourney again this year. I cant wait!!!

I'd be interested if I knew where it was. Chris.. Might have to workout a carpool situation.

You got it!! Let's find out some more info. on it, I'm game though, that is next weekend right?

I will see ya there cb kid it should be a good turn out. I think it starsts at 7:00 and goes till 12:00, around a ten dollar entry fee. The lake is just north of Brownsville a back water off the mighty miss.

Chris, that would be about a week and a half from now. Some people term "next weekend" differently, but in my book its the weekend after next.

yea its the 28th so not this coming weekend, but the one after. its right off hwy 26, right b4 brownsville, u cant miss it. i also have the marina's # if anyone has anymore questions that i cant answer. 507-482-6615

hope to see a bunch of ya there!!!

Tyler, you know I have heard that before, maybe that's why I miss some events...hmm crazy.gif Thanks Canvasback for the info. If all works out you will see myself and maybe Tyler?? down there. Sounds like it would be a fun event to attend!! smile.gif

canvas Kid,

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do to make the event.

Bull... Welcome to fishingMN. It's nice to see a new name in the Rochester forums. Are you from the area?

Chris, We'll be in touch

not from the area but I spend some time fishing there, My mom owns Lawrence Lake Marina and my freinds and I enjoy making the trip down to fish in one of her tournaments every year. We lost bad last year tough some of the local river rats show us a thing or two about backwater gills and crappies. It takes about an 11oz gill to win and 1.5 lb crappie and some decent pike and bass are caught but we dont target them. Hope to see ya down there maybe you can teach us a lesson or two about sight fishing gills.

yea bull you do need to get some lessons from someone, really its sad watching you trying so hard out there on the ice.poor rookie!!!

i'll be there with thecan'tkid, and ms.bull, nothing's more fun than watching your good buddies struggle. if you guys are lucky i'll buy a beverage for you to share with my winnings. grin.gif

if anybody else is in the area it is worth stopping, as it is always a good time.

- bs

the only struggling i will be doing is figuring out how to get all my fish off the lake,oh by the end of the tourney i might be struggling to walk myself off the lake too.!!!

cant wait!!!

As of today I am still planning to make the contest. Does registration start at 7:00 or do we need to be there before and fishing starts at 7:00? I am looking forward to coming down, sounds like a load of fun. May be bringing a few people. cool.gif How many people make it for this contest? What are some of the prizes?

fish-

as far as i know you pretty much just show up when u want but obviously one would wanna be there at the start, and u just stop in the marina and pay the entry fee and head out and fish. as far as how many people it can differ every year and with the ice not being as thick as previous years and not being able to drive trucks out there it could hurt the turnout a bit, but its hard to tell. the big fish prizes is 100% payout from the entrys, so that will depend on the turnout, and they have a class for each species like crappie,sunfish,pike, and bass, so there is some oppurtunity to make some reasonable bar money,

and they also have door prizes too at the end of the tourney.

good luck hope to see u there!!

I'll be there. Any insight as to what we can expect to catch? Is it full of Northern? How deep does it get? What's the average fishing depth? How has the bite been? Water clarity? Minnows / Waxies?

Not looking for hotspots or exact fishing methodology, just some general guidance to a newbe to the lake.

Thanks

canvasback kid

Thanks for the heads up on the contest. I'm going to try and make it also. How long will take to drive from Rochester to Brownsville?

PDM

PDM,

As of last night Tyler a buddy of his and me and my girlfriend are planning to go as well. I live in Eyota, but we were going to meet and caravan together, if you might be interested, shoot me an e-mail and we will get you in the loop.

[email protected]

Fishing has been decent, sight fishing the weed edges works good , there is also a good basin bite in 6 to 7ft of water.

There are som huge pike, have seen them better than 15lbs. Also have seen somee 20" plus largemouths. It will be a fun weekend.

Is there a bait shop close by? or somewhere in La Cresent we could make a quick stop at? I want to Thank You guys for all the info. for this contest, I know I am excited for it as well as the others coming down. It will be nice to meet you guys as well!

The event proved to be a challenge. Locating fish on this body of water was different that any reservoir in Rochester. The fish were holding in the weeds which was about 4-5 FOW and shallower.

PDM was fortunate enough to catch a 8.25" bluegill that was in the runnings, but it didn't make it.

The ice was a bit shady with 4-6" of good ice. The situation that was shady was that there was open water in random areas.

All in all, we had fun. The weather was nice and the rain held off just long enough. There is a good chance I'll make it down to the next one if the ice holds firm

It was a fun tournament, the locals showed us who was boss again. We came close though. We finally got on them good in 4ft of water around 10:15 wasnt enough time ended up with a few 8oz gills, and several crappies in the 10 to 12oz range our biggest was 13oz on the postal scale it took 15 to win. I was hoping to get to talk to some you at door prize giveway but most of you had already left. I got to meet fish hunter before the tournment. I'm not sure who it was that came checking holes in between us twoards the end.

Hey Bull and Canavasback Kid Thanks for letting us know about the contest. It was great to have a chance to meet another FM'er. It was tough fishing for us as well, I caught 1 - 6" Gill, we had a hard time getting on them ourselves, even with the Fishing Guru guiding us... grin.gif Kind of tough though when it's your first time out there. Saw quite a few Northerns being taken over where we were and Kind of wished I would have set-up for Northerns, had the tip-ups in the car... oh well next time. The lady at the Marina there said they may have another one, let us know if they do, I know the ice was pretty dicey out there. Thanks Again to you guys.

Tyler and PDM It was nice to finally get out fishing with you guys... We will have to do it again! cool.gif

Fish_Hunter,

I had a good time as well. We do need to do it again, except this time we need more fish. Are you going to make it to the backwater brawl this weekend?

PDM

More fish would have definitely made it better!But that's fishing!! I have a loaded weekend as it is, I really wanted to make it down there, but I don't see it happening this year. I will be booking that weekend for next years Brawl though!! Good Luck to you if you make it down there.