• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

GPS Suggestions?

sticknstring

Question

Hey Guys - I'm sure this has been asked...but what's the GPS to buy in regards to hunting/fishing applications? I haven't had one in awhile but definitely hear that running Lakemaster chips is the way to go. Many have spoken about the Ifinder H2O - is this the one to get?

Basically I'd like something that I can take out on unfamiliar bodies of water and have an indication of where I'm at in relation to the lake and what type of structure/depth that might be in the area. Are the color display units worth paying extra for? I appreciate any comments and suggestions you might have.

11 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have the H2O with the lakemaster chips. Mine is the monchrome version. It's very nice and has been pretty accurate for me so far on the lakes I've used it for. The color version would be even nice as it helps with the depth/contour changes. But the one a have is working just fine.

I have the H2Oc and I am very happy with it. I had the non color unit and Im glad I went color. Much easier to read. Easy to use with either the Navionics or Lakemaster chips. Only thing I havent liked is it seems to go threw batterys quickly and if you dont have the backlight on its very dark. Make sure you get the cig lighter adapter and that saves you lots of battery life when using it on the ice to drive to spots. I found it to be very accurate as well.

If you use it to hunt a lot I would get the Explorer or Hunt version. The H2Oc is great for fishing and will work for hunting but the Hunt has some other options that make it a better in the woods unit.

Yes I think the color was worth the extra $.

The color on the iFinder is nice on any of the models. It does help on the lake bottom contours However the screen is tougher to see without the backlight on when compared to the non-color unit. One suggestion I would make is to put in Lithium (non-rechargeable) batteries. They are expensive (roughly 4 for $10) but they last way longer than your standard alkaline batteries in either the color or non-color units.

Walleye Guy and Steve (Northlander) when you don't have access to 12volt power try using rechargeable batteries. The chargers handle four batteries at a time, so you would have a spare pair at all times. If you're using the unit for extended periods of time get into the habit of recharging each time you have access to your charger.

I'm practicing what I preach in that I'm using rechargeable batteries in my H2Oc. In the long run it's cheaper than the alternatives. Because these units reacquire satellites quite quickly, it's not necessary to have them on continually.

dockehr

Dr. Roland E. Kehr, Jr.

Lindy Tackle Company

My input on Lithium Battery expense...Go to Surefire.com, you can order 12 Lithium Bats. for $15.00. Don't know if they work in the Lowrance. If they do it'll save you alot of $.

J.

Thanks for the insight guys. Anyone else? Sounds like pretty much everyone is using the H20. Also, any truth to a new chip with Upper Red and LOW coming out? Can you update the new lakes onto an existing chip or do you have to purchase them new? Thanks again.

One more thing... Somewhere prior to Christmas I think I read that a company was selling the H20 with Lakemaster chip at a reduced price. Does anyone know who it might have been and if they're still offering the deal? I'd be interested.

Marine man - Thanks for the link. I just left Wade @ Jolly a msg to see if the deals still valid. I'll post when I get word so if anyone else is still looking to purchase a unit.

If I hadn't dumped a ton of money on other fishing equipment this year already, I'd get the H2Oc. I honestly didn't know much about these units a month or so a go, but after a little internet research, it's at the top of my list. In fact I'm a little afraid of going to take a look at one because I may not be able to say no once I've got it in my hands. laugh.gif

I'm going to hold off until next year or at least until the LakeMaster upgrade comes out.

I just got off the phone with Wade at Jolly. The Pricing is still in effect. I went with the H20 with chip. Exceptional service! I highly recommend giving him a call if you're considering purchasing a unit. Thanks everyone for your help.