• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Area lakes

Im contemplating a move to either ther Brainerd or St. Cloud area. I have job offers in both locations, better offer from St. Cloud. How would you guys compare the fishing opportunities in the 2 areas? Ive done alot of fishing in Brainerd and usually have alot of options and can get into some fish. Are all the lakes around the St. Cloud area pretty crowded? So far leaning towards St. Cloud unless the lakes are over crowded. Like around the Faribault Rochester area......... Thanks for your input.

Just do the math. Take the population of a 20 mile radius of the St. Cloud area and divide it by the acres of lakeshore in that same area. Now do the same for the Brainerd area and that should explain why the fishing is so much better and less crowded in the Brainerd area.

I guess it depends on the amount of money. Will it be enough to pay for your gas to drive to Brainerd every weekend to go fishing? smirk.gif

Nels

Hey Tims

I moved to St. Cloud 6 years ago and fished the lakes in this area hard for about 3 years. Since then I have decided that driving an extra hour to catch 2 to 3 times as many fish and have space on the lake was worth it. There really is no comparison in the two areas. Take the single best lake within 25 miles of SC there will be 30-40 lakes within the same distance of b-town that are as good or better. I'm not saying I'd live in brainerd both places have flaws, just that the fishing is way, way better up there. My 2 cents. Q

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well, I really like the lakes in the St. Cloud area. So much so that over the past 10 years my trips to Mille Lacs have gone down dramaticly(3-5 trips vs 15-20 trips). Very good walleye, bass and panfish lakes. Now are they crowded? Depends on when you choose to go fishing. The lakes can have a ton of folks on them during the summer holiday weekends(mostly pleasure craft). But the truth is that you'll fall into the same situation on the poplular Brainderd area lakes. Come fall or after the sun sets and you'll have these lakes to yourself or maybe up to 6 other boats to share it with. Winter is anotehr story. These lakes they hit pretty hard for panfish.

There's no question that Brainerd area has way more quality walleye, bass and panfish lakes than the St. Cloud area. But I rarely find myself driving up there to get into fish. When I do it's generally for a change of pace and fishing some different water.

The Brainerd area sure is a beautiful part of this state. That alone could weigh into a person's decision.

Good Luck.

So when you guys want a change of pace do you usually go to the Brainerd or Alexandria lakes? Just curios as you guys are kinda in between. Im really leaning towards St Cloud, seems like i can get my fishing fix close by, while good weekend trips are only an hour away instead of 4 hours... Probably be in heaven compared to my options in Rochester.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I fish the Brained area lakes, Alexandria lakes, Mille Lacs, Spicer area lakes and some of the Battle Lake area lakes. All are within a two hour)most an hour or less) drive from St. Cloud. A few other lakes I'd like to hit but just haven't yet are those north of Little Falls. Especially Shaminau and Alexander.