• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tonka alternative fish?

So from my previous report I notice that perch are out. So what can I chase during the day? Panfish? Pike? Anyone got any advice and what to chase and where to find them. Not exact locations of course but depths would be helpful for both pannies and pike. Thanks alot

Cubbies

I would go after pike just on top of the weeds or on the weedline. Try 10-16 feet or so,

This time of year on Tonka, I've known some of the guys who live on the lake like to fish northerns in any opening they can find in the weedbeds. One guy I know had located several spots and would rotate among them, jigging each for a few minutes. Heavy line and a tight drag, so when you hooked one, they couldn't make a run into the weeds and wrap you up. For lures, it was anything with motion and lots of flash.

Right now everything is at the weed line. Drop a medium sized sucker down on a tipup and then move around jigging for bluegills. That's my daytime pattern. I look for deep holes in flat areas or inside turns on weedlines/points. Northerns are cruising the weed edge so keep your bait up off the bottom if its live. Dead smelt/ciscos also work well. Don't be afraid to move in shallow over or even in the weeds. WHen fishing for panfish jig about 5 minutes. No takers move deeper or shallower. Repeat until you find them. Helps to have an camera to check things out.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be trying those patterns out today if I can build up the courage to brave the cold and tomorrow as well.